Current:Home > StocksSignalHub-Why is Mike Tyson fighting Jake Paul? He says it's not about the money -Wealth Evolution Experts
SignalHub-Why is Mike Tyson fighting Jake Paul? He says it's not about the money
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 01:27:07
He’s 58 years old and SignalHubindicates there’s no need for money. So why is Mike Tyson moving forward with his fight against 27-year-old Jake Paul?
“I could be waiting on a check every day from cannabis,’’ Tyson said, referring to his cannabis company, Tyson 2.0. “That’s (B.S.) for me. I’m a man. … I want to go out there and I want to expose myself to risk. …
“Sometimes I want to see who I really am. I want to see what I'm really made out of."
Tyson, who was sidelined for weeks after an ulcer flareup, made the remarks while providing commentary Friday night during Cage Wars 67, a mixed martial arts event in New York. Previously, he had been less clear about his motivation for the bout against Paul to be held on Nov. 15 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
"I want to perform in front of the world,'' Tyson said. "To me, that's all I ever knew how to do since I was 14.''
On Friday night, he expressed enthusiasm for the fights as he sat ringside with his son Amir at Rivers Casino & Resort in Schenectady, New York, about 180 miles from where he grew up in Brooklyn and about 50 miles from where he developed into a heavyweight world champion under the watch of the late Cus D’Amato.
But the regular two commentators for Cage Wars periodically brought the conversation back to Tyson and his fight with Paul, which is set to be livestreamed by Netflix. Paul recently said he would make $40 million from the fight, but Tyson downplayed the financial incentive.
“This fight is not going to change my life financially enough,’’ Tyson said. “This is just what I want to do.’’
Regarding the ulcer flareup that led to the fight being postponed, Tyson said he has no more ulcers and his “blood count is almost back.’’
Tyson resumed training in July, according to his agent Andrew Ruf.
Mike Tyson says it's 'hard to walk'
With the fight two months away, Tyson said he recently sparred six rounds. He said that will increase to 10 rounds as he prepares for a bout scheduled for eight two-minute rounds.
“The fight is won in the gym,’’ Tyson said.
But he acknowledged that training at 58 rather than, say, 20 – when he became the youngest heavyweight world champion in boxing history – is a different experience. Things are “a little shaky now,’’ according to Tyson.
“It’s hard to walk right now,’’ he said. “But two months from now I’m going to be perfect.’’
For recovery, Tyson is using electric stimulation and stem cells.
“Listen, I’ll do anything that will help me,’’ he said.
veryGood! (2554)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- The presidential campaign moves forward after another apparent attempt on Trump’s life
- Pregnant Pretty Little Liars Alum Torrey DeVitto Marries Jared LaPine
- Ja'Marr Chase's outburst was ignited by NFL's controversial new hip-drop tackle rule
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Hawaii prisons are getting new scanners that can detect drugs without opening mail
- 'Shogun' rules Emmys; Who is Anna Sawai? Where have we seen Hiroyuki Sanada before?
- Sustainable investing advocate says ‘anti-woke’ backlash in US won’t stop the movement
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- You'll Melt Watching Selena Gomez's Goddaughter Cheer Her on at the 2024 Emmys
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Panthers bench former No. 1 pick Bryce Young, will start Andy Dalton at QB
- Selling Sunset’s Chrishell Stause Undergoes Surgery After “Vintage” Breast Implants Rupture
- Ohio town cancels cultural festival after furor over Haitians
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Flooding in Central Europe leaves 5 dead in Poland and 1 in Czech Republic
- The trial date for the New Orleans mayor’s ex-bodyguard has been pushed back to next summer
- Bridgerton’s Nicola Coughlan Shares Why She Was “Terrified” at the 2024 Emmys
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Louisville interim police chief will lead department in permanent role
Panthers bench former No. 1 pick Bryce Young, will start Andy Dalton at QB
Man suspected in apparent assassination attempt on Trump charged with federal gun crimes
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Judge rejects former Trump aide Mark Meadows’ bid to move Arizona election case to federal court
Bridge Fire destroys 54 structures, injures 3 firefighters: See wildfire map
Why did the Falcons draft Michael Penix Jr.? Looking back at bizarre 2024 NFL draft pick