Current:Home > reviewsJudge rejects former Trump aide Mark Meadows’ bid to move Arizona election case to federal court -Wealth Evolution Experts
Judge rejects former Trump aide Mark Meadows’ bid to move Arizona election case to federal court
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 20:49:34
PHOENIX (AP) — A judge has rejected former Donald Trump presidential chief of staff Mark Meadows’ bid to move his charges in Arizona’s fake elector case to federal court, marking the second time he has failed in trying to get his charges moved out of state court.
In a decision Monday, U.S. District Judge John Tuchi said Meadows missed a deadline for asking for his charges to be moved to federal court and failed to show that the allegations against him related to his official duties as chief of staff to the president.
Meadows, who faces charges in Arizona and Georgia in what state authorities alleged was an illegal scheme to overturn the 2020 election results in Trump’s favor, had unsuccessfully tried to move state charges to federal court last year in the Georgia case.
While not a fake elector in Arizona, prosecutors said Meadows worked with other Trump campaign members to submit names of fake electors from Arizona and other states to Congress in a bid to keep Trump in office despite his November 2020 defeat. Meadows has pleaded not guilty to charges in Arizona and Georgia.
In 2020, Democrat Joe Biden won Arizona by 10,457 votes.
The decision sends Meadows’ case back down to Maricopa County Superior Court.
In both Arizona and Georgia, Meadows argued his state charges should be moved to U.S. district court because his actions were taken when he was a federal official working as Trump’s chief of staff and that he has immunity under the supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution, which says federal law trumps state law.
Prosecutors in Arizona said Meadows’ electioneering efforts weren’t part of his official duties at the White House.
Last year, Meadows tried to get his Georgia charges moved to federal court, but his request was rejected by a judge, whose ruling was later affirmed by an appeals court. The former chief of staff has since asked the U.S. Supreme Court to review the ruling.
The Arizona indictment says Meadows confided to a White House staff member in early November 2020 that Trump had lost the election. Prosecutors say Meadows also had arranged meetings and calls with state officials to discuss the fake elector conspiracy.
Meadows and other defendants are seeking a dismissal of the Arizona case.
Meadows’ attorneys said nothing their client is alleged to have done in Arizona was criminal. They said the indictment consists of allegations that he received messages from people trying to get ideas in front of Trump — or “seeking to inform Mr. Meadows about the strategy and status of various legal efforts by the president’s campaign.”
In all, 18 Republicans were charged in late April in Arizona’s fake electors case. The defendants include 11 Republicans who had submitted a document falsely claiming Trump had won Arizona, another Trump aide and five lawyers connected to the former president.
In early August, Trump’s campaign attorney Jenna Ellis, who worked closely with former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, signed a cooperation agreement with prosecutors that led to the dismissal of her charges. Republican activist Loraine Pellegrino also became the first person to be convicted in the Arizona case when she pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge and was sentenced to probation.
Meadows and the other remaining defendants have pleaded not guilty to the forgery, fraud and conspiracy charges in Arizona.
Trump wasn’t charged in Arizona, but the indictment refers to him as an unindicted coconspirator.
Eleven people who had been nominated to be Arizona’s Republican electors had met in Phoenix on Dec. 14, 2020, to sign a certificate saying they were “duly elected and qualified” electors and claimed Trump had carried the state in the 2020 election.
A one-minute video of the signing ceremony was posted on social media by the Arizona Republican Party at the time. The document was later sent to Congress and the National Archives, where it was ignored.
Prosecutors in Michigan, Nevada, Georgia and Wisconsin have also filed criminal charges related to the fake electors scheme.
veryGood! (72)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Cleaning up after Milton: Floridians survey billions in damage, many still without power
- 'Just a pitching clinic': Jack Flaherty gem vs. Mets has Dodgers sitting pretty in NLCS
- Blue Jackets, mourning death of Johnny Gaudreau, will pay tribute at home opener
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Tia Mowry Shares How She Repurposed Wedding Ring From Ex Cory Hardrict
- Sister Wives’ Janelle Brown and Christine Brown Detail Their Next Chapters After Tumultuous Years
- Who are the last three on 'Big Brother'? Season 26 finale date, cast, where to watch
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- This dog sat in a road until a car stopped, then led man into woods to save injured human
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Watch little baby and huge dog enjoy their favorite pastime... cuddling and people-watching
- Murder trial of tech consultant in death of Cash App founder Bob Lee begins
- Four Downs: Oregon defeats Ohio State as Dan Lanning finally gets his big-game win
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Kansas tops AP Top 25 preseason men’s basketball poll ahead of Alabama, defending champion UConn
- Pennsylvania voters to decide key statewide races in fall election
- ManningCast schedule: Will there be a 'Monday Night Football' ManningCast in Week 6?
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Trump tested the limits on using the military at home. If elected again, he plans to go further
Horoscopes Today, October 14, 2024
2025 Social Security COLA: Your top 5 questions, answered
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Ruth Chepngetich smashes woman's world record at Chicago Marathon
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Age Brackets
USMNT shakes off malaise, wins new coach Mauricio Pochettino's debut