Current:Home > ScamsSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|New York’s top court declines to hear Trump’s appeal of gag order in hush money case -Wealth Evolution Experts
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|New York’s top court declines to hear Trump’s appeal of gag order in hush money case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 00:12:12
NEW YORK (AP) — New York’s top court on Surpassing Quant Think Tank CenterTuesday declined to hear Donald Trump’s gag order appeal in his hush money case, leaving the restrictions in place following his felony conviction last month. The Court of Appeals found that the order does not raise “substantial” constitutional issues that would warrant an immediate intervention.
The decision is the latest legal setback for the Republican former president, who has repeatedly railed against the gag order, which prevents him from commenting on witnesses, jurors and others who were involved in the case. But it could be short lived. The trial judge, Juan M. Merchan, is expected to rule soon on a defense request to lift the gag order.
Trump’s attorneys filed a notice of appeal with the state’s high court on May 15, during the former president’s landmark criminal trial. They argued that the gag order restricted Trump’s “core political speech on matters of central importance at the height of his Presidential campaign.”
But the Court of Appeals disagreed. In a decision list posted on Tuesday, the court said it would not automatically hear the case, writing that “no substantial constitutional question is directly involved.”
Trump’s lawyers were essentially seeking a shortcut to expedite their appeal, which was rejected by the state’s mid-level appeals court last month. They now have 30 days to file a motion for leave to appeal, according to court spokesperson Gary Spencer.
Merchan imposed the gag order on March 26, a few weeks before the start of the trial, after prosecutors raised concerns about the presumptive Republican presidential nominee’s tendency to attack people involved in his cases.
During the trial, Merchan held Trump in contempt of court and fined him $10,000 for violating the gag order. The judge threatened to put Trump in jail if he did it again.
The order remains in effect weeks after the conclusion of the trial, which ended with Trump’s conviction on 34 counts of falsifying business records arising from what prosecutors said was an attempt to cover up a hush money payment to porn actor Stormy Daniels just before the 2016 election. Daniels claims she had a sexual encounter with Trump a decade earlier, which he denies. He is scheduled to be sentenced July 11.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office had urged the Court of Appeals to reject the appeal. In their own letter, prosecutors noted the question about whether the order should be lifted could be dealt with through post-trial court filings.
Trump’s lawyers have argued that he should be entitled to fully address the case, given the continued public criticism of him by his ex-lawyer Michael Cohen and Daniels, both key prosecution witnesses.
Days after the verdict, they sent a letter to Merchan asking him to lift the gag order. They followed up last week with a formal motion requesting that the restrictions be rescinded. Prosecutors have until Thursday to respond. Merchan is expected to rule soon after that, possibly before Trump’s June 27 debate with President Joe Biden.
“It’s a little bit of the theater of the absurd at this point, right? Michael Cohen is no longer a witness in this trial,” an attorney for Trump, Todd Blanche, told the AP earlier this month. “The trial is over.”
Messages seeking comment were left Tuesday for Blanche and the Manhattan district attorney’s office.
___
AP writer Michael Hill contributed reporting from Altamont, N.Y.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Two 17-year-old American soldiers killed in Korean War accounted for after more than 70 years
- Dallas Mavericks push top-seeded Oklahoma City Thunder to brink with big Game 5 road win
- Best Luxury Candles That Will Make Your Home Smell Really, Really Good
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- 'If' movie review: Ryan Reynolds' imaginary friend fantasy might go over your kids' heads
- Liam Payne’s Ex Maya Henry Says She Felt Pressured Into Getting Abortion in Past Relationship
- Capri Sun launches Big Jugs that equal 32 pouches of juice. Here’s where to find them.
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Zaxby's releases the MrBeast box, a collaboration inspired by the content creator
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Astros starter Blanco suspended 10 games after being ejected when foreign substance found in glove
- Huge billboard in Mumbai toppled by storm, killing more than a dozen people in India's financial capital
- Apple Music reveals more albums on its 100 Best Albums of all-time list: See numbers 80-71
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Hailey Bieber’s Unexpected Pregnancy Craving Is No Glazed Donut—But She Doesn’t Want You to Judge
- Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker rails against Pride month, abortion and diabolic lies told to women in commencement speech
- Capri Sun launches Big Jugs that equal 32 pouches of juice. Here’s where to find them.
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
“Raise the Age” juvenile justice reforms altered by North Carolina Senate
Jane Fonda Turns Up the Heat at the 2024 Cannes Film Festival Red Carpet
Who gets to claim self-defense in shootings? Airman’s death sparks debate over race and gun rights
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
New Jersey quintuplets graduate from same college
Who gets to claim self-defense in shootings? Airman’s death sparks debate over race and gun rights
3 dead after small plane crashes in Tennessee