Current:Home > FinanceTwo 17-year-old American soldiers killed in Korean War accounted for after more than 70 years -Wealth Evolution Experts
Two 17-year-old American soldiers killed in Korean War accounted for after more than 70 years
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 16:26:06
The remains of a 17-year-old soldier from Michigan who went missing in action during the Korean War have been accounted for, the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency said Tuesday, just days after the agency announced that the remains of a 17-year-old Illinois soldier killed in the war had been identified.
Thomas A. Smith, of Michigan, was a member of the 2nd Squad, 3rd Platoon, Company A, 3rd Engineer Combat Battalion, 24th Infantry Division in the summer of 1950. He was last seen when his unit took part in a defense action near Chinju, a region at the southern end of the Korean peninsula, according to the DPAA. Following the battle, Smith could not be accounted for. The DPAA said there is no evidence that Smith was ever a prisoner of war, and no remains were recovered following the fighting.
The Illinois soldier was identified as U.S. Army Corporal Richard Seloover, a member of the Heavy Mortar Company, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. Seloover went missing after his unit "engaged in combat actions" along South Korea's Naktong River on Sept. 6, 1950, the DPAA said. The circumstances of his death are "unknown," and at the time, his body could not be recovered because of what the DPAA called "intense fighting in the area."
Both men were declared dead by the Army on Dec. 31, 1953, more than three years after they went missing. Both men's names were recorded on the Courts of the Missing at the cemetery.
Amid the war, the U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps was tasked with "recovering, identifying, and repatriating those lost" in battle, the DPAA said. In late 1950, two sets of remains were recovered near villages in South Korea. The sets were labeled as "Unknown X-5077 Tanggok" and "Unknown X-348." Neither set of remains could be identified at the time, and both were buried as unknowns in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu, Hawaii.
In March 2019, the "Unknown X-5077 Tanggok" remains were disinterred as part of a plan to exhume over 600 sets of unknown remains. The "Unknown X-348" remains were disinterred in June 2021, the DPAA said.
Both remains were sent to the DPAA laboratory for analysis. Research on the remains included the use of dental and anthropological analysis, as well as mitochondrial DNA analysis.
The tests identified the "Unknown X-5077 Tanggok" remains as belonging to Smith in September 2023, according to his personnel file.
In January 2024, the "Unknown X-348" remains were identified as belonging to Seloover, according to his file. Studying his remains also included the use of a chest radiograph and "other circumstantial evidence," the agency said.
Now that the men have been accounted for, rosettes will be placed next to their names on the Courts of the Missing.
Smith will be buried in his hometown of Grant, Michigan, on a future date, the DPAA said. Seloover will be buried in Rock Falls, Illinois on a future date.
The DPAA did not say if either man had any surviving family. A call to the U.S. Army Casualty Office, where the DPAA directs family and burial inquiries, was not answered.
The remains of over 450 Americans who died in the Korean War have been identified and returned to their families for burial with full military honors, according to the DPAA. More than 7,000 American soldiers remain unaccounted for from the conflict. Hundreds of those remains are believed to be "non-recoverable," but the agency is continuing to work to account for and provide burials for as many fallen soldiers as possible.
- In:
- South Korea
- North Korea
- U.S. Army
Kerry Breen is a reporter and news editor at CBSNews.com. A graduate of New York University's Arthur L. Carter School of Journalism, she previously worked at NBC News' TODAY Digital. She covers current events, breaking news and issues including substance use.
TwitterveryGood! (7899)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Lululemon's New Crossbody Bag Is Pretty in Pink & the Latest We Made Too Much Drops Are Stylish AF
- Witnesses say Ohio man demanded Jeep before he stabbed couple at a Nebraska interstate rest area
- Princess Kate absent at Royal Ascot amid cancer treatment: What she's said to expect
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Travis Scott arrested for disorderly intoxication and trespassing
- Two environmental protesters arrested after spraying Stonehenge with orange paint
- Gigi Hadid Gives Rare Look Into Life at Home With Daughter Khai
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Kylie Jenner cries over 'exhausting' comments saying she looks 'old'
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- New York Gov. Kathy Hochul signs bill targeting addictive social media platforms: Our kids are in distress
- After wildfires ravage Ruidoso, New Mexico, leaving 2 dead, floods swamp area
- American Airlines CEO vows to rebuild trust after removal of Black passengers
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Tree destroys cabin at Michigan camp, trapping counselor in bed for 90 minutes
- Bob Good hopes final vote count will put him ahead of Trump-endorsed challenger
- Supreme Court upholds Trump-era tax on foreign earnings, skirting disruptive ruling
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms
A US veteran died at a nursing home, abandoned. Hundreds of strangers came to say goodbye
Travis Scott arrested for disorderly intoxication and trespassing
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Paris awaits for Sha’Carri, Lyles and dozens more, but Olympic spots must be earned at trials
Texas court finds Kerry Max Cook innocent of 1977 murder, ending decades-long quest for exoneration
Can you blame heat wave on climate change? Eye-popping numbers suggest so.