Current:Home > FinanceBorder arrests are expected to rise slightly in August, hinting 5-month drop may have bottomed out -Wealth Evolution Experts
Border arrests are expected to rise slightly in August, hinting 5-month drop may have bottomed out
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:08:10
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Arrests for illegal border crossings from Mexico during August are expected to rise slightly from July, officials said, likely ending five straight months of declines.
Authorities made about 54,000 arrests through Thursday, which, at the current rate, would bring the August total to about 58,000 when the month ends Saturday, according to two U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss information that has not been publicly released.
The tally suggests that arrests could be bottoming out after being halved from a record 250,000 in December, a decline that U.S. officials largely attributed to Mexican authorities increasing enforcement within their borders. Arrests were more than halved again after Democratic President Joe Biden invoked authority to temporarily suspend asylum processing in June. Arrests plunged to 56,408 in July, a 46-month low that changed little in August.
Asked about the latest numbers, the Homeland Security Department released a statement by Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas calling on Congress to support failed legislation that would have suspended asylum processing when crossings reached certain thresholds, reshaped how asylum claims are decided to relieve bottlenecked immigration courts and added Border Patrol agents, among other things.
Republicans including presidential nominee Donald Trump opposed the bill, calling it insufficient.
“Thanks to action taken by the Biden-Harris Administration, the hard work of our DHS personnel and our partnerships with other countries in the region and around the world, we continue to see the lowest number of encounters at our Southwest border since September 2020,” Mayorkas said Saturday.
The steep drop from last year’s highs is welcome news for the White House and the Democrats’ White House nominee, Vice President Kamala Harris, despite criticism from many immigration advocates that asylum restrictions go too far and from those favoring more enforcement who say Biden’s new and expanded legal paths to entry are far too generous.
More than 765,000 people entered the United States legally through the end of July using an online appointment app called CBP One and an additional 520,000 from four nationalities were allowed through airports with financial sponsors. The airport-based offer to people from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela — all nationalities that are difficult to deport — was briefly suspended in July to address concerns about fraud by U.S. financial sponsors.
San Diego again had the most arrests among the Border Patrol’s nine sectors on the Mexican border in August, followed by El Paso, Texas, and Tucson, Arizona, though the three busiest corridors were close, the officials said. Arrests of Colombians and Ecuadoreans fell, which officials attributed to deportation flights to those South American countries. Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras were the top three nationalities.
veryGood! (3597)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Late-night talk show hosts announce return to air following deal to end Hollywood writers' strike
- 7 corpses, 5 bags of body parts found scattered around Mexican city after acts of disloyalty within cartel
- SUPREME COURT NOTEBOOK: From bananas to baby socks, lawyers stick to routines before arguments
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Fatal 2021 jet crash was likely caused by parking brake left on during takeoff, NTSB says
- Colleges should step up their diversity efforts after affirmative action ruling, the government says
- Court rejects Donald Trump’s bid to delay trial in wake of fraud ruling that threatens his business
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Late-night TV is back: Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert, more to return after writers strike
Ranking
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Fatal 2021 jet crash was likely caused by parking brake left on during takeoff, NTSB says
- Drive a Hyundai or Kia? See if your car is one of the nearly 3.4 million under recall for fire risks
- Boyfriend of missing mother arrested in connection with her 2015 disappearance
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Bodycam shows Michigan trooper clinging to fleeing car; suspect charged with attempted murder
- Hollywood actors to resume negotiations with studios next week as writers strike ends
- NY Attorney General Letitia James has a long history of fighting Trump, other powerful targets
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Maine community searching for Broadway, a pet cow who's been missing nearly a week
Michigan State fires football coach Mel Tucker in stunning fall from elite coaching ranks
A man in military clothing has shot and wounded a person at a Dutch teaching hospital, police say
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Italy’s leader signs deal with industry to lower prices of essentials like food for 3 months
Taiwan launches the island’s first domestically made submarine for testing
Michael Gambon, actor who played Prof. Dumbledore in 6 ‘Harry Potter’ movies, dies at age 82