Current:Home > ContactRex Heuermann, suspect in Gilgo Beach serial killings, expected to be charged in 4th murder, sources say -Wealth Evolution Experts
Rex Heuermann, suspect in Gilgo Beach serial killings, expected to be charged in 4th murder, sources say
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:25:22
A man suspected in Long Island's Gilgo Beach cold case murders is expected to face new charges next week in connection with the killing of a fourth woman, a source familiar with the matter confirmed to CBS News.
Multiple sources confirmed that 60-year-old Rex Heuermann is scheduled to appear in Suffolk County Court Tuesday morning.
When reached by CBS News, the Suffolk County District Attorney's office declined to comment.
Heuermann, 60, was arrested in July 2023 and charged in the slayings of three women — Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello — whose remains were found near Gilgo Beach, on the south shore of Long Island, in December 2010.
Suffolk County prosecutors had previously said he is the prime suspect in the death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes, whose remains were also found in the Gilgo beach area.
Heuermann, who worked as an architect prior to his arrest, has pleaded not guilty to the murders of the other three women. He has been held without bail in the Suffolk County Jail since his arrest.
According to court documents, investigators were led to Heuermann as a suspect when they began an extensive review of evidence in the case in 2022.
Prosecutors said FBI analysts were able to compare the cell site data of the victims' cellphones and data from multiple prepaid, anonymous burner phones the suspect used to communicate with each of the victims.
Furthermore, court documents read, a hair found on burlap that wrapped one of the victims was determined to be a DNA match to Heuermann, based on a DNA sample retrieved from crusts in a pizza box he discarded.
In all, the bodies of at least 10 victims were found in the area beginning in late-2010, believed to be the victims of a serial killer.
Investigators had been searching for a missing woman named Shannen Gilbert when they found other remains on Gilgo Beach in December 2010 — women in their 20s whose remains had been wrapped in burlap sacks. Known as the Gilgo Four, they were later identified as Brainard-Barnes, who went missing in 2007; Barthelemy missing in 2009; and Megan Waterman and Amber Costello, who went missing in 2010.
Six more sets of remains were found along Ocean Parkway in March of 2011.
— Tucker Reals and Stephen Smith contributed to this report.
- In:
- Gilgo Beach Murders
- Gilgo Beach
Pat Milton is a CBS News investigative producer
veryGood! (67966)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Swifties called announcement of '1989 (Taylor’s Version)' and say they can guess her next three releases
- Sea temperatures lead to unprecedented, dangerous bleaching of Florida’s coral reef, experts say
- Snark and sarcasm rule the roost in 'The Adults,' a comedy about grown siblings
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Ron Forman, credited with transforming New Orleans’ once-disparaged Audubon Zoo, to retire
- Teenage smokers have different brains than non-smoking teens, study suggests
- Aldi to buy 400 Winn-Dixie and Harveys Supermarket grocery stores across the Southeast
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Oregon wildfire map: See where fires are blazing on West Coast as evacuations ordered
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Kendall Jenner Shares Her Secret to “Attract” What She Wants in Life
- US women’s national team coach Vlatko Andonovski resigns after early World Cup exit, AP source says
- New movies to see this weekend: Watch DC's 'Blue Beetle,' embrace dog movie 'Strays'
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Dramatic video footage shows shooting ambush in Fargo that killed an officer last month
- 2 Florida men sentenced to federal prison for participating in US Capitol riot
- Blinken had long, frank phone call with Paul Whelan, brother says
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
New Jersey shutters 27 Boston Market restaurants over unpaid wages, related worker issues
UN: North Korea is increasing repression as people are reportedly starving in parts of the country
Need gas after midnight? Don’t stop in Hammond. New law closes stations until 5 a.m.
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
Sea temperatures lead to unprecedented, dangerous bleaching of Florida’s coral reef, experts say
Deion Sanders blasts Colorado players for not joining fight in practice
Our dreams were shattered: Afghan women reflect on 2 years of Taliban rule