Current:Home > StocksFormer Trump adviser Peter Navarro's contempt trial to begin Tuesday -Wealth Evolution Experts
Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro's contempt trial to begin Tuesday
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 04:54:34
Former Trump White House adviser Peter Navarro will go to trial Tuesday on criminal charges that he defied a subpoena for testimony and documents issued in February 2022 by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.
The House of Representatives voted in April 2022 to hold Navarro in contempt of Congress. The matter was then referred to the Justice Department, and two months later Navarro was indicted by a grand jury on contempt of Congress charges.
According to the indictment, Navarro faces one count over his refusal to appear for a deposition in front of the committee, and another count for refusing to produce documents.
MORE: Judge says former Trump adviser Peter Navarro has failed to show Trump asserted executive privilege
Navarro has pleaded not guilty to both charges. If convicted on both counts, he could face a maximum of two years in prison and fines up to $200,000, according to the Justice Department.
Last week, Judge Amit Mehta ruled that Navarro cannot argue to a jury that then-President Donald Trump asserted executive privilege to block him from testifying before Congress. Mehta said that Navarro's claim that he spoke to Trump last year at which time "Trump clearly invoked executive privilege" provided no specific evidence that Trump had indeed done so.
"There was no formal invocation of executive privilege by [Trump] after personal consideration nor authorization to Mr. Navarro to invoke privilege on his behalf," Mehta said.
After the pre-trial hearing, Navarro doubled down on his claim that Trump formally granted him executive privilege.
"It's been the case where people like me, senior advisers, the president ... cannot be compelled to testify," Navarro said to reporters last week. "There is not a single White House adviser who hasn't asserted executive privilege."
Navarro, who was the director of the White House Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy in the Trump White House, wrote a series of reports in the weeks following the 2020 presidential election claiming that the election was stolen from Trump.
He was also in contact with Trump ally Steve Bannon about an effort to delay Congress' certification of the election and overturn the results, a plan Navarro dubbed the "Green Bay Sweep" in his book, "In Trump Time," the Jan. 6 committee wrote in its report.
Bannon also defied a House select committee subpoena and was subsequently convicted on two counts of contempt of Congress last year.
veryGood! (11)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- The Biden-Netanyahu relationship is strained like never before. Can the two leaders move forward?
- AP Week in Pictures: North America
- Disney+, Hulu and Max team up for streaming bundle package
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- 2 climbers reported missing on California’s Mount Whitney are found dead
- Tiffany Haddish Weighs in on Ex Common's Relationship with Jennifer Hudson
- Your Summer Shorts Guide: Denim Shorts, Cotton Shorts, and Athletic Shorts
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Georgia State sends out 1,500 mistaken acceptance letters, retracts them
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Search ongoing for 2 missing skiers 'trapped' in avalanche near Salt Lake City, sheriff says
- Pro-Palestinian protesters demand endowment transparency. But its proving not to be simple
- Alabama schedules nitrogen gas execution for inmate who survived lethal injection attempt
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Horoscopes Today, May 8, 2024
- New Jersey legislators advance bill overhauling state’s open records law
- Lululemon's We Made Too Much Has a $228 Jacket for $99, The Fan-Fave Groove Pant & More Major Scores
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Caitlin Clark, Kamilla Cardoso, Kiki Rice are stars of ESPN docuseries airing this weekend
Ethan Hawke explains how Maya Hawke's high-school English class inspired their new movie
Woman was living behind store's rooftop sign for a year with desk, flooring, houseplant
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
See the 2024 Met Gala's best-dressed stars and biggest moments
Horoscopes Today, May 8, 2024
Cancer-causing chemicals ban signed into law in Colorado, 13th state to bar PFAS products