Current:Home > ContactJudge awards $23.5 million to undercover St. Louis officer beaten by colleagues during protest -Wealth Evolution Experts
Judge awards $23.5 million to undercover St. Louis officer beaten by colleagues during protest
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:13:30
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis judge on Monday awarded nearly $23.5 million to a former police officer who was beaten by colleagues while working undercover during a protest.
Luther Hall was badly injured in the 2017 attack during one of several protests that followed the acquittal of Jason Stockley, a former St. Louis officer, on a murder charge that stemmed from the shooting death of a Black man.
Hall previously settled a separate lawsuit with the city for $5 million. In 2022, he sued three former colleagues — Randy Hays, Dustin Boone and Christopher Myers — for their roles in the attack.
Hays never responded to the lawsuit despite being served while he was in prison on a civil rights violation, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. A judge issued a default judgment in favor of Hall in February and heard testimony Monday about why Hall should receive damages.
Hall’s claims against Boone and Myers are still pending.
Hall, in court on Monday, talked about the severe physical and emotional damages that followed the beating. He suffered several herniated discs and a jaw injury that left him unable to eat. He developed gallstones with complications, requiring surgeries.
“Mr. Hall had to endure this severe beating and while that was happening, he knew it was being administered by his colleagues who were sworn to serve and protect,” Circuit Judge Joseph Whyte said.
Hays was not at the hearing. He was sentenced to more than four years in prison in 2021 and is in the custody of the St. Louis Residential Reentry Management Office, which supervises people who have been released from prison and are serving time on home confinement or in halfway houses. He has one year to contest the judgment.
The attack happened on Sept. 17, 2017, days after Stockley was acquitted in the fatal shooting of 24-year-old Anthony Lamar Smith on Dec. 20, 2011. Hall was walking back toward police headquarters when his uniformed colleagues ordered him to put up his hands and get on the ground, then beat him.
Hays, Boone, Myers and another officer, Bailey Colletta, were indicted in 2018 in connection with Hall’s injuries. A fifth officer, Steven Korte, was indicted on a civil rights charge and another count of lying to the FBI.
Boone was convicted of a civil rights charge and sentenced to a year and a day in federal prison. Meyers received probation after pleading guilty to a single felony charge. Colletta received probation for lying to the FBI and a grand jury about the attack. Korte was acquitted.
In addition to the settlement with Hall, the city of St. Louis last year paid nearly $5.2 million over allegations that police violated the rights of dozens of people by capturing them in a police “kettle” and arresting them. Some said they were beaten, pepper-sprayed and attacked with stun guns in various downtown protests after the Stockley verdict.
veryGood! (8375)
Related
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Don't Miss Cameron Diaz's Return to the Big Screen Alongside Jamie Foxx in Back in Action Trailer
- Tropical Storm Sara threatens to bring flash floods and mudslides to Central America
- Nelly will not face charges after St. Louis casino arrest for drug possession
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Georgia House Democrats shift toward new leaders after limited election gains
- AI could help scale humanitarian responses. But it could also have big downsides
- Justice Department says jail conditions in Georgia’s Fulton County violate detainee rights
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Japan to resume V-22 flights after inquiry finds pilot error caused accident
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Food prices worried most voters, but Trump’s plans likely won’t lower their grocery bills
- Joan says 'Yes!' to 'Golden Bachelorette' finale fantasy beach proposal. Who did she pick?
- Watch out, Temu: Amazon Haul, Amazon's new discount store, is coming for the holidays
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Georgia House Democrats shift toward new leaders after limited election gains
- Jamie Lee Curtis and Don Lemon quit X, formerly Twitter: 'Time for me to leave'
- Shel Talmy, produced hits by The Who, The Kinks and other 1960s British bands, dead at 87
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
How Alex Jones’ Infowars wound up in the hands of The Onion
'Red One' review: Dwayne Johnson, Chris Evans embark on a joyless search for Santa
Mississippi expects only a small growth in state budget
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Watch out, Temu: Amazon Haul, Amazon's new discount store, is coming for the holidays
Inter Miami's MLS playoff failure sets stage for Messi's last act, Alexi Lalas says
Man is 'not dead anymore' after long battle with IRS, which mistakenly labeled him deceased