Current:Home > MarketsIsraeli military says it has struck several Houthi targets in Yemen in response to attacks -Wealth Evolution Experts
Israeli military says it has struck several Houthi targets in Yemen in response to attacks
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 00:01:01
DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza (AP) — The Israeli army says it has struck several Houthi targets in western Yemen on Saturday following a fatal drone attack by the rebel group in Tel Aviv the previous day.
A number of “military targets” were hit in the western port city of Hodeidah, a Houthi stronghold, the Israeli army said, adding that its attack was “in response to the hundreds of attacks carried out against the state of Israel in recent months.”
Houthi spokesman Mohammed Abdulsalam wrote on social media platform X that Yemen was subjected to a “blatant Israeli aggression” that targeted fuel storage facilities and the province’s power station. He said the attacks aim “to increase the suffering of the people and to pressure Yemen to stop supporting Gaza.”
Abdulsalam said the attacks will only make the people of Yemen and its armed forces more determined to support Gaza.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.
DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza (AP) — A media outlet controlled by Houthi rebels in Yemen reported intense airstrikes on the port city of Hodeidah on Saturday and said it appears that Israel is behind them.
Al-Masirah TV said the strikes on storage facilities for oil and diesel at the port and on the local electricity company caused deaths and injuries, but gave no details. It said there was a large fire at the port and power cuts were widespread.
Health officials in Yemen said the strikes killed a number of people and injured others, but did not elaborate.
The Israeli military declined to comment.
A drone attack by Houthi rebels killed one person in the center of Tel Aviv and wounded at least 10 others near the United States Embassy early Friday.
Since January, the U.S. and British forces have been striking targets in Yemen, in response to the Houthis’ attacks on commercial shipping that the rebels have described as retaliation for Israel’s actions in the war in Gaza. However, many of the ships targeted are not linked to Israel.
The joint force airstrikes have so far done little to deter the Iran-backed force.
Also Saturday, at least 13 people were killed in three Israeli airstrikes that hit refugee camps in central Gaza overnight, according to Palestinian health officials, as cease-fire talks in Cairo appeared to make progress.
Among the dead in Nuseirat Refugee Camp and Bureij Refugee Camp were three children and one woman, according to Palestinian ambulance teams that transported the bodies to the nearby Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital. AP journalists counted the 13 corpses at the hospital.
Earlier, a medical team delivered a live baby from a Palestinian woman killed in an airstrike that hit her home in Nuseirat late Thursday evening.
Ola al-Kurd, 25, was killed along with six others in the blast, but was quickly rushed by emergency workers to Al-Awda Hospital in northern Gaza in the hope of saving the unborn child. Hours later, doctors told The Associated Press that a baby boy had been delivered.
The still-unnamed newborn is stable but has suffered from a shortage of oxygen and has been placed in an incubator, said Dr. Khalil Dajran on Friday.
Ola’s “husband and a relative survived yesterday’s strike, while everyone else died,” Majid al-Kurd, the deceased woman’s cousin, told the AP on Saturday.
“The baby is in good health based on what doctors said,” he added.
The war in Gaza, which was sparked by Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on southern Israel, has killed more than 38,900 people, according to the territory’s Health Ministry, which does not distinguish between combatants and civilians in its count. The war has created a humanitarian catastrophe in the coastal Palestinian territory, displaced most of its 2.3 million population and triggered widespread hunger.
Hamas’ October attack killed 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and militants took about 250 hostage. About 120 remain in captivity, with about a third of them believed to be dead, according to Israeli authorities.
The Israel-Hamas war has left thousands of women and children dead, according to health officials in the Gaza Strip. In April, a premature Palestinian baby was rescued from her dead mother’s womb but died days later.
In the occupied West Bank, the Palestinian Health Ministry said a 20-year-old man was shot dead by Israeli forces late Friday. Commenting on the shooting, the Israeli army said its forces opened fire on a group of Palestinians hurling rocks at Israeli troops in the town of Beit Ummar.
An eyewitness said Ibrahim Zaqeq was not directly involved in the clashes and was standing nearby.
Zaqeq “just looked at them, they shot him in the head. I picked him up from here and took him to the clinic,” said Thare Abu Hashem.
On Saturday, Hamas identified Zaqeq as one of its members. The militant group’s green flag was wrapped around his corpse during the funeral.
Violence has surged in the territory since the Gaza war began. At least 577 Palestinians in the West Bank have been killed by Israeli fire since then according to the Ramallah-based Health Ministry which tracks Palestinian deaths.
In Cairo, international mediators, including the United States, are continuing to push Israel and Hamas toward a phased deal that would halt the fighting and free about 120 hostages in Gaza.
On Friday, the U.S. Secretary of State, Anthony Blinken, said a cease-fire deal between Hamas and Israel that will release Israeli hostages captive by the group in Gaza is “inside the 10-yard line,” but added “we know that anything in the last 10 yards are the hardest.”
Fruitless stop-and-start negotiations between the warring sides have been underway since November’s one-week cease-fire, with both Hamas and Israel repeatedly accusing each other of scuppering the effort to reach a deal.
___
Jeffery reported from the West Bank city of Ramallah.
veryGood! (9731)
Related
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- NLRB official denies Dartmouth request to reopen basketball union case. Players to vote Tuesday
- Untangling the Rumors Surrounding Noah Cyrus, Tish Cyrus and Dominic Purcell
- In 1807, a ship was seized by the British navy, the crew jailed and the cargo taken. Archivists just opened the packages.
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- The Best Leakproof Period Underwear That Actually Work, Plus Styles I Swear By
- Kate Winslet was told to sing worse in 'The Regime,' recalls pop career that never was
- Travis Kelce Breaks Down in Tears Watching Brother Jason Kelce's Retirement Announcement
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Biden says U.S. will airdrop humanitarian aid to Gaza
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Venus flytrap poachers arrested in taking of hundreds of rare plant
- Kitchen Must-Haves for 2024: Kitchen Gadgets, Smart Appliances, and More You Need Now
- First over-the-counter birth control pill in US begins shipping to stores
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Evers signs Republican-authored bill to expand Wisconsin child care tax credit
- ATF director Steven Dettelbach says we have to work within that system since there is no federal gun registry
- Rotting bodies, fake ashes and sold body parts push Colorado to patch lax funeral home rules
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
What will Fed chair say about interest rates? Key economy news you need to know this week.
Scientists have used cells from fluid drawn during pregnancy to grow mini lungs and other organs
'Expanding my pod': Lala Kent expecting her second baby, 'Vanderpump Rules' star announces
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Florida passes bill to compensate victims of decades-old reform school abuse
Former NFL player Braylon Edwards says he broke up a locker room assault of an 80-year-old man
Mikaela Shiffrin preparing to return from downhill crash at slalom race in Sweden this weekend