Current:Home > reviewsSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Citing security concerns, Canada bans TikTok on government devices -Wealth Evolution Experts
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Citing security concerns, Canada bans TikTok on government devices
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 21:27:59
TORONTO — Canada announced Monday it is SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Centerbanning TikTok from all government-issued mobile devices, reflecting widening worries from Western officials over the Chinese-owned video sharing app.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said it might be a first step to further action or that it might be it.
"I suspect that as government takes the significant step of telling all federal employees that they can no longer use TikTok on their work phones many Canadians from business to private individuals will reflect on the security of their own data and perhaps make choices," Trudeau said.
"I'm always a fan of giving Canadians the information for them to make the right decisions for them," he added.
The European Union's executive branch said last week it has temporarily banned TikTok from phones used by employees as a cybersecurity measure.
The EU's action follows similar moves in the U.S., where more than half of the states and Congress have banned TikTok from official government devices.
Last week, Canada's federal privacy watchdog and its provincial counterparts in British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec announced an investigation to delve into whether the app complies with Canadian privacy legislation.
TikTok is wildly popular with young people, but its Chinese ownership has raised fears that Beijing could use it to collect data on Western users or push pro-China narratives and misinformation. TikTok is owned by ByteDance, a Chinese company that moved its headquarters to Singapore in 2020
TikTok faces intensifying scrutiny from Europe and America over security and data privacy amid worries that the app could be used to promote pro-Beijing views or sweep up users' information. It comes as China and the West are locked in a wider tug of war over technology ranging from spy balloons to computer chips.
Canadian Treasury Board President Mona Fortier said the federal government will also block the app from being downloaded on official devices in the future.
Fortier said in statement the Chief Information Officer of Canada determined that it "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."
The app will be removed from Canadian government issued phones on Tuesday.
"On a mobile device, TikTok's data collection methods provide considerable access to the contents of the phone," Fortier said.
"While the risks of using this application are clear, we have no evidence at this point that government information has been compromised."
Recent media reports have also raised concerns about potential Chinese interference in recent Canadian elections, prompting opposition parties to call for a public inquiry into alleged foreign election interference.
"It's curious that the Government of Canada has moved to block TikTok on government-issued devices—without citing any specific security concern or contacting us with questions—only after similar bans were introduced in the EU and the US," a TikTok spokesperson said in a email.
The company is always available to discuss the privacy and security of Canadians, the statement said. "Singling out TikTok in this way does nothing to achieve that shared goal," the email said. "All it does is prevent officials from reaching the public on a platform loved by millions of Canadians."
veryGood! (174)
Related
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- 'Dumb and Dumber': Jeff Daniels feared flushing away his career with infamous toilet scene
- Kyle Larson qualifies 5th for 2024 Indy 500, flies to NASCAR All-Star Race, finishes 4th
- IRS whistleblowers ask judge to dismiss Hunter Biden's lawsuit against the tax agency
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Slovak PM still in serious condition after assassination attempt as suspect appears in court
- CNN political commentator Alice Stewart dies at 58
- Psst! Target Just Dropped New Stanley Cup Summer Shades & You Need Them in Your Collection ASAP
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Sean Diddy Combs Breaks Silence About Video Appearing to Show Him Assault Cassie
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Ohio voters approved reproductive rights. Will the state’s near-ban on abortion stand?
- How long will cicadas be around this year? Here's when to expect Brood XIX, XIII to die off
- American who disappeared in Syria in 2017 presumed dead, daughter says
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Greg Olsen embraces role as pro youth sports dad and coach, provides helpful advice
- Child is among 3 dead after Amtrak train hits a pickup truck in upstate New York
- WNBA investigating $100,000 annual sponsorships for Aces players from Las Vegas tourism authority
Recommendation
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
The Race to Decarbonize Heavy Industry Heats Up
Man wins nearly $2 million placing $5 side bet at Las Vegas casino
Deadline for $35 million settlement over Apple iPhone 7 issues approaching: How to join
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Fast-growing wildfire has shut down a portion of the Tonto National Forest in Arizona
Power expected to be restored to most affected by deadly Houston storm
Israeli War Cabinet member says he'll quit government June 8 unless new war plan is adopted