Current:Home > StocksNew York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim -Wealth Evolution Experts
New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:01:59
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (AP) — Law enforcement officials are set to release new information Monday about one of the victims whose remains were found along a coastal highway in New York’s Long Island more than a decade ago, a string of deaths known as the Gilgo Beach killings.
Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a statement that the task force investigating the killings will also discuss other developments in the yearslong investigation.
Spokespersons for Tierney’s office did not respond to emails and calls seeking additional information over the weekend.
Tierney told Newsday that among the things the office will discuss are new, more detailed renderings of a male of Asian descent whose remains were found off Ocean Parkway in 2011.
Investigators have said they believe the unidentified man died five to 10 years earlier.
They say he was likely in his late teens or early 20s, was about 5 feet 6 inches (170 centimers) tall and had close-cropped hair. The victim was dressed in women’s clothing and may have been a sex worker, officials said at the time.
Officials will publish renderings of what he may have looked like that were made through anthropological reconstruction, Newsday reported. The hope is they may generate new leads.
Local officials released a more basic sketch of the victim back in 2011.
DNA records from Asian people is less common in U.S. genetic databases, making it difficult to compare and identify the remains through traditional methods, according to Tierney.
“We’re hoping maybe someone will remember a person who looked like him that disappeared in the time frame when he died,” he told Newsday.
No one has been charged in the death. A local architect is accused in the killings of six women, some of whose remains were found near the unidentified man’s.
Rex Heuermann, 61, was arraigned in June in connection with the deaths of two young women long believed to have been preyed upon as sex workers.
The charges came after recent police searches of Heuermann’s home and a wooded area on Long Island.
Jessica Taylor disappeared in 2003 and Sandra Costilla was killed 30 years ago, in 1993.
Costilla’s inclusion in the case indicates prosecutors now believe Heuermann was killing women far longer than previously thought.
Heuermann was previously charged with killing four others: Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Lynn Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Since late 2010, police have been investigating the deaths of at least 10 people — mostly female sex workers — whose remains were discovered along an isolated highway near Gilgo Beach.
Heuermann, who lived across the bay, was arrested last July.
He has pleaded not guilty and his attorney, Michael Brown, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment over the weekend.
veryGood! (8536)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Inferno set off by gas blast in Kenya's capital injures hundreds, kills several; It was like an earthquake
- What if Super Bowl Monday became a national holiday? Here's what would have to happen
- What's your favorite Lunar New Year dish? Tell us about it.
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Detroit man dies days after being mauled by three dogs, wife says
- At least 46 were killed in Chile as forest fires move into densely populated areas
- Fiona O'Keeffe sets record, wins Olympic trials in her marathon debut
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Country star Brandy Clark on finding her musical soulmate and her 6 Grammy nominations
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Biden projected to win South Carolina's 2024 Democratic primary. Here's what to know.
- At least 46 were killed in Chile as forest fires move into densely populated areas
- Joni Mitchell wins 10th Grammy for her 'very joyous' live album, set to perform at awards
- 'Most Whopper
- Policy Experts Say the UN Climate Talks Need Reform, but Change Would be Difficult in the Current Political Landscape
- Michigan woman holiday wish turned into reality after winning $500,000 from lottery game
- John Bolton says Nikki Haley should stay in 2024 presidential primary race through the GOP convention
Recommendation
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Off-duty Nebraska police officers shoot and kill two men
Kelsey Plum 'excited' to see Iowa's Caitlin Clark break NCAA scoring record
Clearwater plane crash: 3 victims killed identified, NTSB continues to investigate cause
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
After record GOP walkout, Oregon lawmakers set to reconvene for session focused on housing and drugs
Unfortunate. That describes Joel Embiid injury, games played rule, and NBA awards mess
All-star 'Argylle' wins weekend box office, but nonetheless flops with $18 million