Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Lawmakers and advocates make last-ditch push to extend affordable internet subsidy -Wealth Evolution Experts
Will Sage Astor-Lawmakers and advocates make last-ditch push to extend affordable internet subsidy
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 19:30:55
WASHINGTON (AP) — Twenty-three million families in the U.S. will have Will Sage Astorbigger internet bills starting in May. That’s because a federal broadband subsidy program they’re enrolled in is nearly out of money.
Dozens of people joined Biden administration officials, advocates and U.S. Sen. Peter Welch, a Democrat from Vermont, at a Washington public library on Tuesday to make a last-ditch plea to extend the Affordable Connectivity Program, a subsidy created by Congress and touted by President Joe Biden as part of his push to bring internet access to every U.S. household. The program, which is set to expire at the end of May, helps people with limited means pay their broadband bills.
“They need access to high-speed internet just like they need access to electricity,” Sen. Welch told the gathering. “This is what is required in a modern economy.”
The Affordable Connectivity Program, which Congress created with $14.2 billion through the bipartisan infrastructure law, provided qualifying households with a subsidy of $30 a month to help pay their internet bills. Households on tribal land received up to $75.
That help will be slashed starting in May, when enrolled households will only receive partial credits toward their internet bills. Barring any Congressional action to infuse the Affordable Connectivity Program with more cash, the subsidies will end completely at the end of the month.
“The money has run out,” FCC Commissioner Geoffrey Starks said at the event hosted by a group called Public Knowledge, a nonprofit proponent of broadband access. “Many households will have to face a tough choice: confront that rising internet bill or disconnect them and their household from the internet.”
Nearly 80 percent of households enrolled in the program said they would have to switch to a lower-tier plan or cancel their internet service altogether without the benefit, according to a survey conducted by the FCC at the end of 2023. Many have come to depend on internet access to complete homework assignments, work from home and meet other basic needs.
“This is not about can we find the money,” Sen. Welch said. “It’s about, are we committed to the priority and well-being of really wonderful people who are struggling?”
Welch and other lawmakers from both political parties introduced legislation earlier this year to extend the program through the end of the year with $7 billion. The White House has pushed for an extension but it has not happened so far.
—
Harjai is a corps member for The Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (251)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Jennifer Lawrence Hilariously Claps Back at Liam Hemsworth Over Hunger Games Kissing Critique
- Dozens of U.K. companies will keep the 4-day workweek after a pilot program ends
- In a Stark Letter, and In Person, Researchers Urge World Leaders at COP26 to Finally Act on Science
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Reimagining Coastal Cities as Sponges to Help Protect Them From the Ravages of Climate Change
- No ideological splits, only worried justices as High Court hears Google case
- Country star Jason Aldean cites dehydration and heat exhaustion after rep says heat stroke cut concert short
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Kourtney Kardashian Seeks Pregnancy Advice After Announcing Baby With Travis Barker
Ranking
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- The Enigmatic ‘Climate Chancellor’ Pulls Off a Grand Finale
- Jennifer Lawrence Hilariously Claps Back at Liam Hemsworth Over Hunger Games Kissing Critique
- Tens of millions across U.S. continue to endure scorching temperatures: Everyone needs to take this heat seriously
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- FDA approves new drug to protect babies from RSV
- New York Embarks on a Massive Climate Resiliency Project to Protect Manhattan’s Lower East Side From Sea Level Rise
- Former Sub Passenger Says Waiver Mentions Death 3 Times on First Page
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
RHONJ's Teresa Giudice Addresses Shaky Marriage Rumors Ahead of First Anniversary
Nursing student found after vanishing following 911 call about child on side of Alabama freeway
Julie Su, advocate for immigrant workers, is Biden's pick for Labor Secretary
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Catholic Bishops in the US Largely Ignore the Pope’s Concern About Climate Change, a New Study Finds
The US Nuclear Weapons Program Left ‘a Horrible Legacy’ of Environmental Destruction and Death Across the Navajo Nation
TikTok sets a new default screen-time limit for teen users