Current:Home > MarketsFastexy:Video and images show intercontinental ballistic missile test launched from California -Wealth Evolution Experts
Fastexy:Video and images show intercontinental ballistic missile test launched from California
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:13:35
The FastexyUnited States launched an unarmed intercontinental ballistic missile from the Vandenberg Space Force Base in California early Tuesday morning — the first of two test launches scheduled for this week. The Air Force Global Strike Command shared video and images of the missile, Minuteman III, as it rocketed up and left a burning trail of smoke and flames through the sky north of Santa Barbara.
The test at 12:56 a.m. PT was carried out by a joint team of airmen from the Air Force Global Strike Command, a branch of the U.S. Air Force responsible for nuclear deterrence, and was supported by Space Force guardians, the command said in an announcement. The announcement noted that the test launch program is designed "to validate and verify the safety, security, effectiveness, and readiness of the weapon system." The Minuteman III was launched with a reentry vehicle.
"This test launch marks the start of a remarkable week for our Guardians and Airmen at Vandenberg, with two test launches scheduled from the Western Range," said Col. Bryan Titus, vice commander of the Space Launch Delta 30 military unit, which manages space launch operations on the West Coast, in a statement. "These tests hold immense significance, not only for our nation's defense, but also serve as a pivotal moment in showcasing the exceptional capabilities and expertise of our dedicated team."
An announcement by the public affairs team for Space Launch Delta 30 reiterated that it is routine to test launch unarmed intercontinental ballistic missiles like Minuteman III, a model that first became operational in the 1970s, according to the Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center. There are currently 400 Minuteman III missiles at various Air Force bases across the country, which the military wing describes as a strategic weapons system meant to serve as a "reliable and effective nuclear deterrent."
Similar tests have been carried out more than 300 times before, said Space Launch Delta 30, adding that they are "not the result of current world events" but instead intend "to demonstrate that the United States' nuclear deterrent is safe, secure, reliable and effective to deter 21st century threats and reassure our allies."
Normally, test flights for the Minuteman III out of Vandenberg end with the missile's reentry vehicle traveling more than 4,000 miles across the Pacific Ocean, from coastal California to Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. During another routine test launch last November, a Minuteman III missile launched from the same base was intentionally destroyed over the Pacific because of "an anomaly," the Air Force Global Strike Command said in a statement at the time.
"An anomaly is any unexpected event during the test," the command said in that statement. "Since anomalies may arise from many factors relating to the operational platform itself, or the test equipment, careful analysis is needed to identify the cause."
- In:
- Nuclear Weapons
- United States Space Force
- California
- United States Air Force
Emily Mae Czachor is a reporter and news editor at CBSNews.com. She covers breaking news, often focusing on crime and extreme weather. Emily Mae has previously written for outlets including the Los Angeles Times, BuzzFeed and Newsweek.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (4383)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Glee's Heather Morris Details How Naya Rivera's Death Still Hurts 4 Years Later
- 2 men drown in Glacier National Park over the July 4 holiday weekend
- The plane is ready, the fundraisers are booked: Trump’s VP search comes down to its final days
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- A Memphis man is now charged with attacking two homeless men in recent months
- 2 men drown in Glacier National Park over the July 4 holiday weekend
- Arizona congressional delegation introduces $5 billion tribal water rights legislation
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Hatch recalls nearly 1 million power adapters sold with baby sound machines due to shock hazard
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Florida community mourns K-9 officer Archer: 'You got one last bad guy off the street'
- Mare of Easttown Producer Gordon Gray's Daughter Charlotte Dies at 13 of Rare Neurodegenerative Disorder
- How bad is inflation, really? A fresh look at the economy and CPI this week
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- What time does 'The Bachelorette' start? Premiere date, cast, where to watch 'historic' Season 21
- American citizen working for drone company injured in Israel
- Johns Hopkins medical school will be free for most thanks to $1 billion from Bloomberg Philanthropies
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
John Cena announces pending retirement from WWE competition in 2025
Copa America 2024: Lionel Messi, James Rodriguez among 5 players to watch in semifinals
Moulin Rouge's iconic windmill sails restored after collapse just in time for the Olympics
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Ice Spice Reacts to Festival Audience Booing Taylor Swift Collab
Moderate Masoud Pezeshkian wins Iran's presidential runoff election
Becca Kufrin Shares Peek Inside Bachelorette Group Chat Ahead of Jenn Tran’s Season