Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:The NBA and its players have a deal for a new labor agreement -Wealth Evolution Experts
Indexbit Exchange:The NBA and its players have a deal for a new labor agreement
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:42:42
The Indexbit ExchangeNBA will have labor peace for years to come.
The league and its players came to an agreement early Saturday on a new seven-year collective bargaining agreement, the NBA announced. It is still pending ratification, though that process is almost certainly no more than a formality.
The deal will begin this summer and will last at least through the 2028-29 season. Either side can opt out then; otherwise, it will last through 2029-30.
Among the details, per a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke to The Associated Press: the in-season tournament that Commissioner Adam Silver has wanted for years will become reality, and players will have to appear in at least 65 games in order to be eligible for the top individual awards such as Most Valuable Player. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because neither the league nor the National Basketball Players Association released specifics publicly.
Another new part of the CBA will be a second luxury tax level that, when reached, will keep teams from using their midlevel exception to sign players. That was a clear compromise, given how some teams wanted the so-called "upper spending limit" that would have essentially installed an absolute ceiling on what can be spent each season and help balance the playing field between the teams that are willing to pay enormous tax bills and those who aren't.
Not in the CBA is a change to the policy that would allow high school players to enter the NBA draft. It was discussed and has been an agenda item for months, but it won't be changing anytime soon — probably not for at least the term of the next CBA.
"We also appreciate that there is a lot of benefit to really having veterans who can bring those 18-year-olds along," NBPA executive director Tamika Tremaglio said in February during an NBPA news conference at All-Star weekend. "And so, certainly anything that we would even consider, to be quite honest, would have to include a component that would allow veterans to be a part of it as well."
Silver said Wednesday, at the conclusion of a two-day Board of Governors meeting, that he was hopeful of getting a deal done by the weekend. He also said there had been no consideration — at least on the league's part — of pushing the opt-out date back for a third time.
The current CBA, which took effect July 1, 2017, came with a mutual option for either the NBA or the NBPA to opt out after six seasons — June 30 of this year. The sides originally had a Dec. 15 deadline to announce an intention to exercise the opt-out, then pushed it back to Feb. 8, then to Friday.
The league and the union continued talking after the midnight opt-out deadline passed, and a deal was announced nearly three hours later.
The agreement doesn't end the process, though it's obviously a huge step forward.
The owners will have to vote on what the negotiators have hammered out, and the players will have to vote to approve the deal as well. Then comes the actual writing of the document — the most recent CBA checked in at around 600 pages containing nearly 5,000 paragraphs and 200,000 words. Much of it will be the same; much of it will need revising.
veryGood! (92712)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Biden opens busy foreign policy stretch as anxious allies shift gaze to Trump, Harris
- Katy Perry Reveals How She and Orlando Bloom Navigate Hot and Fast Arguments
- Human remains in Kentucky positively identified as the Kentucky highway shooter
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- NFL analyst Cris Collinsworth to sign contract extension with NBC Sports, per report
- Robinson will not appear at Trump’s North Carolina rally after report on alleged online comments
- US stops hazardous waste shipments to Michigan from Ohio after court decision
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Nikki Glaser Trolls Aaron Rodgers Over Family Feud and More at New York Jets Game
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Federal authorities subpoena NYC mayor’s director of asylum seeker operations
- Foster family pleads guilty to abusing children who had been tortured by parents
- A man is fatally shot by officers years after police tried to steer him away from crime
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Moment of Sean Diddy Combs' Arrest Revealed in New Video
- Small town South Carolina officer wounded in shooting during traffic stop
- Martha Stewart says 'unfriendly' Ina Garten stopped talking to her when she went to prison
Recommendation
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Penn State removes its student newspaper racks over concerns about political ads
Wisconsin Supreme Court agrees to decide whether Robert F. Kennedy Jr. stays on ballot
Katy Perry Reveals How She and Orlando Bloom Navigate Hot and Fast Arguments
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Why Bella Hadid Is Thanking Gigi Hadid's Ex Zayn Malik
North Carolina’s governor vetoes private school vouchers and immigration enforcement orders
Dan Evans, former Republican governor of Washington and US senator, dies at 98