Current:Home > InvestGilgo Beach killings suspect due in court as prosecutors tout ‘significant development’ in case -Wealth Evolution Experts
Gilgo Beach killings suspect due in court as prosecutors tout ‘significant development’ in case
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:46:03
Prosecutors plan to announce a “significant development” Thursday in the case of a New York architect accused of murdering four women and leaving their corpses scattered in the scrub along a coastal highway.
Rex Heuermann, 60, will appear before a judge days after police finished new, extensive searches of his Massapequa Park home and a wooded area on Long Island tied to the investigation of a string of deaths known as the Gilgo Beach serial killings.
Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney hasn’t said what development he plans to announce or discuss the purpose of Thursday’s court hearing.
Since late 2010, police have been investigating the deaths of at least 10 people —- mostly female sex workers — whose remains were discovered along an isolated highway not far from Gilgo Beach on Long Island’s south shore.
The victims had disappeared over a span of at least 14 years. Vexed police officers made only halting progress in identifying possible suspects. Investigators long said it was likely that not all of the deaths were the work of the same killer. Some of the victims disappeared in the mid-1990s. Investigators concluded that an 11th person who disappeared in 2010 from the barrier island community of Oak Beach had accidentally drowned.
Heuermann, who lived across a bay from where the bodies were found, was arrested last July. Prosecutors said a new investigative task force used mobile phone location data and DNA samples to link the architect to some of the victims. He was charged with killing four of the women: Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Lynn Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Investigators who had searched Heuermann’s home extensively and dug up his yard last summer returned to the house again last month and spent nearly a week searching it again. They focused their efforts mostly in the basement, according to a lawyer for Heuermann’s wife.
That followed a search in April of a wooded area in Manorville, about 40 miles (65 kilometers) east of Heuermann’s home, linked to two other Gilgo Beach victims.
Valerie Mack, 24, who had been working as an escort in Philadelphia, disappeared in 2000 and was last seen by her family in Port Republic, New Jersey. Some of her skeletal remains were discovered that same year in the Manorville woods. More of her remains were found in 2011 in the search around Gilgo Beach.
Initially known as “Jane Doe No. 6,” Mack’s remains had been unidentified for years until genetic testing revealed her identity in 2020.
Jessica Taylor, 20, vanished in 2003 while working as an escort in New York City. Some of her remains were discovered in Manorville that year. Other remains were found in a 2011 search of the beach scrub by the side of Ocean Parkway, the road where the other Gilgo Beach victims were found.
Relatives for Mack and Taylor declined to comment Wednesday.
Heuermann’s lawyer and the lawyers separately representing his wife and two adult children declined to comment.
Heuermann, who has been in custody since his arrest, has pleaded not guilty. He had been set to return to court on June 18 for a status hearing. No trial date has been set.
__
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (154)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- 'Friends' stars end their 'break' in star-studded Super Bowl commercial for Uber Eats
- 4 people found safe after avalanche in Nevada ski resort near Las Vegas
- Women dominated the 2024 Grammy Awards. Is the tide turning?
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- What Selena Gomez’s Friend Nicola Peltz Beckham Thinks of Her Benny Blanco Romance
- NFL doubles down on 'integrity' with Super Bowl at the epicenter of gambling industry
- Kansas City Chiefs' Travis Kelce at Super Bowl Opening Night: Taylor Swift is 'unbelievable'
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- 'The Conners': Premiere date, cast, trailer, what to know about new season
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- As 'magic mushrooms' got more attention, drug busts of the psychedelic drug went up
- Taylor Swift Supporting Miley Cyrus at the 2024 Grammys Proves Their Friendship Can't Be Tamed
- Fan wanted defensive coordinator job, but settles for rejection letter from Packers CEO
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Toby Keith, in one of his final interviews, remained optimistic amid cancer battle
- Namibian President Hage Geingob, anti-apartheid activist turned statesman, dies at age 82
- Arizona among several teams rising in the latest NCAA men's tournament Bracketology
Recommendation
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Tracy Chapman, Luke Combs drove me to tears with 'Fast Car' Grammys duet. It's a good thing.
Hospitalization delays start of ex-Illinois state senator’s federal fraud trail
Police confirm names of five players charged in Hockey Canada sexual assault scandal
Average rate on 30
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem banned from tribal land over U.S.-Mexico border comments: Blatant disrespect
Eagles will host NFL’s first regular-season game in Brazil on Friday, Sept. 6
Ryan Reynolds, Randall Park recreate 'The Office' bit for John Krasinksi's 'IF' teaser