Current:Home > Markets3 South African Navy crew members die after 7 are swept off submarine deck -Wealth Evolution Experts
3 South African Navy crew members die after 7 are swept off submarine deck
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 20:15:31
Three South African Navy personnel died and a senior officer was in critical condition after seven crew members of a submarine were swept off its deck by big waves as a helicopter attempted a "vertical transfer" of supplies, the country's Department of Defense said Thursday.
The accident happened Wednesday as an Air Force Lynx helicopter was attempting what's known as a "vertrep" — or vertical replenishment — of supplies to the SAS Manthatisi submarine on the ocean surface near Kommetjie, off the coast of Cape Town, the department said.
The operation was immediately called off and a rescue effort was launched.
All seven submariners were recovered, but three were pronounced dead. A crew member from the helicopter who was dispatched as a "surface swimmer" to assist in the rescue operation was also recovered and is in the hospital alongside the four surviving submariners.
The department identified the three victims as Lieutenant Commander Gillian Elizabeth Hector, Master Warrant Officer William Masela Mathipa and Warrant Officer Class One Mmokwapa Lucas Mojela. Multiple South African news outlets reported that Hector had been the first woman to ever navigate a military submarine for any African nation.
The National Sea Rescue Institute and other emergency services were called in to help with the rescue, the Department of Defense said, adding that there would be an inquiry into the failed operation and the resulting deaths.
Cape Town and other areas on South Africa's south coast have been hit by extremely rough seas since last weekend, caused by a phenomenon known as "spring tide."
South African armed forces analyst Dean Wingrin told the defenceWeb website that the submarine was moving to the Cape Town waterfront for a three-day navy exhibition starting Saturday. The navy has planned the exhibition to mark South Africa's Heritage Day national holiday on Sunday.
"This is a sad loss for our nation and for our brave armed forces in particular who routinely face danger in order so that all of us can be safe and secure," South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said in a statement. "We wish the injured personnel a full recovery from the physical and psychological trauma they experienced during this tragedy.We also appreciate the efforts of all role players who, at great risk to themselves, undertook the rescue and recovery operation."
In a Facebook post, the South African National Defense Force said members of the public were bringing flowers in memory of the victims to the chapel inside the Navy Museum in Simon's Town.
Tribute to SA Navy members || Chapel inside the Navy Museum in Simon's Town. Members of the public are bringing flowers in memory of the deceased submariners.#SANDF#SANavy#RIPSASoldiers
Posted by SA National Defence Force on Thursday, September 21, 2023
The SAS Manthatisi is one of three German-built Type 209/1400 Heroine-class submarines in the South African navy fleet and had returned to the water earlier this year after undergoing maintenance work.
- In:
- Rescue
- Submarine
- South Africa
veryGood! (43)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Krispy Kreme's 'Day of the Dozens' offers 12 free doughnuts with purchase: When to get the deal
- Biden and Tribal Leaders Celebrate Four Years of Accomplishments on Behalf of Native Americans
- When does the new season of 'Virgin River' come out? Release date, cast, where to watch
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Dick Van Dyke credits neighbors with saving his life and home during Malibu fire
- Trump names Andrew Ferguson as head of Federal Trade Commission to replace Lina Khan
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Dick Van Dyke credits neighbors with saving his life and home during Malibu fire
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Fortnite OG is back. Here's what to know about the mode's release, maps and game pass.
- In a First, Arizona’s Attorney General Sues an Industrial Farm Over Its Water Use
- Man on trial in Ole Miss student’s death lied to investigators, police chief says
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Analysis: After Juan Soto’s megadeal, could MLB see a $1 billion contract? Probably not soon
- Biden and Tribal Leaders Celebrate Four Years of Accomplishments on Behalf of Native Americans
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Stock market today: Asian shares retreat, tracking Wall St decline as price data disappoints
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Fatal Hougang stabbing: Victim was mum of 3, moved to Singapore to provide for family
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
'We are all angry': Syrian doctor describes bodies from prisons showing torture
'We are all angry': Syrian doctor describes bodies from prisons showing torture
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine