Current:Home > StocksCalifornia Gov. Gavin Newsom nudges school districts to restrict student cellphone use -Wealth Evolution Experts
California Gov. Gavin Newsom nudges school districts to restrict student cellphone use
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 21:08:54
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California and South Carolina could become the next states to limit cellphone use in schools, with state officials planning to take up the issue Tuesday.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom is sending letters to school districts, urging them to restrict students’ use of smartphones on campus. And the South Carolina State Board of Education is expected to approve guidelines Tuesday on limiting student phone access.
The efforts mark a broader push by officials in Utah, Florida, Louisiana and elsewhere to try to limit cellphone use in schools in order to reduce distractions in the classroom — and address the impacts of social media on the mental health of children and teens.
But progress can be challenging. Cellphone bans are already in place at many schools, but they aren’t always enforced.
Districts should “act now” to help students focus at school by restricting their smartphone use, Newsom said in the letter. He also cited risks to the well-being of young people, a subject which garnered renewed attention in June after U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy called on Congress to require warning labels on social media platforms.
“Every classroom should be a place of focus, learning, and growth,” the Democrat said in his letter. “Working together, educators, administrators, and parents can create an environment where students are fully engaged in their education, free from the distractions on the phones and pressures of social media.”
Newsom said earlier this summer that he was planning to address student smartphone use, and his letter says he is working on it with the state Legislature. Tuesday’s announcement is not a mandate but nudges districts to act.
Newsom signed a law in 2019 granting districts the authority to regulate student smartphone access during school hours.
The debate over banning cellphones in schools to improve academic outcomes is not new. But officials often resort to bans as a solution rather than find ways to integrate digital devices as tools for learning, said Antero Garcia, a professor at Stanford University’s Graduate School of Education.
“What I’m struck by is society’s inability to kind of move forward and find other kinds of solutions other than perpetually going back to this ‘Should we ban devices?’ conversation as the primary solution to something that hasn’t worked,” Garcia said.
“Suggesting curtailing cellphone use in schools is a great thing to say,” he added. “What that means for the middle school teacher come next week when many schools start is a very different picture.”
Some schools and districts in California have already taken action. The Santa Barbara Unified and Los Angeles Unified school districts passed bans on student cellphone use in recent years.
But some school board advocates say the state should not go further by passing a blanket ban on cellphone use. That decision should be left up to districts, said Troy Flint, spokesperson for the California School Boards Association.
“Cellphone usage and social media usage on campus is certainly a serious issue and one that deserves a close examination,” Flint said. “But those decisions are very specific to certain schools and certain communities, and they need to be made at a local level.”
There is no cure-all for protecting students from the risks posed by smartphones, but the state is “opening up a conversation” on how districts could act, said David Goldberg, president of the California Teachers Association.
“It makes sense for us as adults to be looking and trying to take care of students and allow them to have safe spaces to learn,” he said. “How we do it is also very important — that we make sure that we bring students into these conversations and educators into these conversations.”
___
Austin is a corps member for The Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues. Follow Austin on X: @sophieadanna
veryGood! (567)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Why Kathy Griffin Wakes Up “Terrified” After Complex PTSD Diagnosis
- No, Leonardo DiCaprio and Irina Shayk Weren't Getting Cozy at Coachella 2023
- How worried should you be about your gas stove?
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Arctic chill brings record low temperatures to the Northeast
- Why some Indonesians worry about a $20 billion international deal to get off coal
- Can a middle school class help scientists create a cooler place to play?
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Yellen says development banks need overhauling to deal with global challenges
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Wedding Guest Dresses From Dress The Population That Are So Cute, They’ll Make the Bride Mad
- Dozens are dead from Ian, one of the strongest and costliest U.S. storms
- Blue bonds: A market solution to the climate crisis?
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Why experts say you shouldn't bag your leaves this fall
- Blue bonds: A market solution to the climate crisis?
- Pamper Yourself With an $18 Deal on $53 Worth of Clinique Products
Recommendation
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Proof Jessica Biel’s Stylish Throwback Photos Are Tearin’ Up Justin Timberlake’s Heart
Yellen says development banks need overhauling to deal with global challenges
How ancient seeds from the Fertile Crescent could help save us from climate change
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Strong thunderstorms and tornadoes are moving through parts of the South
The MixtapE! Presents Kim Petras, Nicki Minaj, Loren Gray and More New Music Musts
Extreme weather, fueled by climate change, cost the U.S. $165 billion in 2022