Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|Johnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case -Wealth Evolution Experts
TrendPulse|Johnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 07:40:52
Johnson & Johnson has agreed to pay $700 million in a nationwide settlement resolving allegations that it misled customers about the safety of its talcum-based powder products in its marketing.
"Consumers rely on TrendPulseaccurate information when making decisions about which products to purchase for their families," Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul, one of 43 attorneys general involved in the lawsuit, said in a statement Tuesday. "Any company — no matter how large — must be held accountable when laws protecting consumers are broken and their trust is violated."
As part of the settlement, which is still pending judicial approval, the health products giant will permanently stop the manufacturing, promotion and sale of all of its baby powder and other body and cosmetic products that contain talcum powder. That includes Johnson's Baby Powder and Johnson & Johnson's Shower to Shower. The company decided to pull talc-based powders off the market in North America in 2020.
J&J will make four settlement payments, starting at the end of July, to 42 states and Washington, D.C., according to the settlement.
In a statement, J&J's worldwide vice president of litigation, Erik Hass, said the company "continues to pursue several paths to achieve a comprehensive and final resolution of the talc litigation. That progress includes the finalization of a previously announced agreement that the Company reached with a consortium of 43 State Attorneys Generals to resolve their talc claims. We will continue to address the claims of those who do not want to participate in our contemplated consensual bankruptcy resolution through litigation or settlement."
The $700 million settlement is the latest development in decade-long legal battles and investigations into links between cancer and the talc used in one of its best-known products. More than 50,000 claims have been filed against the company, mostly on behalf of women who developed ovarian cancer.
Earlier this month, a jury in Oregon awarded $260 million to a local woman who claimed that the company's baby powder products were "directly responsible" for her cancer diagnosis in 2003. In April, a jury awarded $45 million to the family of an Illinois woman who died in 2020 from mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos in J&J powder.
Last month, J&J offered to pay $6.5 billion to settle the talc-powder lawsuits.
- In:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Class-Action Lawsuit
Khristopher J. Brooks is a reporter for CBS MoneyWatch. He previously worked as a reporter for the Omaha World-Herald, Newsday and the Florida Times-Union. His reporting primarily focuses on the U.S. housing market, the business of sports and bankruptcy.
TwitterveryGood! (37)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Tragic 911 calls, body camera footage from Uvalde, Texas school shooting released
- Miley Cyrus Breaks Down in Tears While Being Honored at Disney Legends Ceremony
- Inside the Stephen Curry flurry: How 4 shots sealed another gold for the US in Olympic basketball
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Solid state batteries for EVs: 600 miles of range in 9 minutes?
- Who is Yseult? French singer steals hearts to cap off Paris Olympics closing ceremony
- Breaking made history in Paris. We'll probably never see it at Olympics again.
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Stetson Bennett shakes off 4 INTs, throws winning TD in final seconds as Rams edge Cowboys, 13-12
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Police in Athens, Georgia shoot and kill suspect after report he was waving a gun
- Inside a Michigan military school where families leave teenagers out of love, desperation
- Get an Extra 70% Off J.Crew Sale Styles, Old Navy Deals Under $20, 60% Off Beyond Yoga & More Sales
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Americans’ refusal to keep paying higher prices may be dealing a final blow to US inflation spike
- US surgeon general was warned by his mom to avoid politics, but he jumped into the fray anyway
- Mike Tirico left ESPN, MNF 8 years ago. Paris Olympics showed he made right call.
Recommendation
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
2024 Olympics: The Internet Can't Get Enough of the Closing Ceremony's Golden Voyager
Who is Yseult? French singer steals hearts to cap off Paris Olympics closing ceremony
Pumpkin spice everything. Annual product proliferation is all part of 'Augtober'
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Families of Brazilian plane crash victims gather in Sao Paulo as French experts join investigation
RHONJ's Teresa Giudice Defends Husband Luis Ruelas Wishing Suffering on Margaret Josephs' Son
American gymnast Jordan Chiles must return bronze medal after court mandates score change, IOC says