Current:Home > NewsTexas judge orders sheriff, school district to release Uvalde school shooting records -Wealth Evolution Experts
Texas judge orders sheriff, school district to release Uvalde school shooting records
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 18:15:26
The school district and sheriff’s office in Uvalde must release their records and documents related to the Robb Elementary School shooting — including police body camera footage, 911 calls and communications, a Texas district court judge ruled last week.
A group of news organizations including The Texas Tribune sued the city of Uvalde, the Uvalde County Sheriff’s Office and the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District over access to the records after their open-records requests were repeatedly denied following the May 24, 2022 shooting. Lawyers representing the outlets on Monday announced the ruling from the 38th Judicial District Court of Uvalde County, touting it as a “victory for government transparency.”
Nineteen children and two adults were killed by a teenage gunman in the shooting. The response to the shooting has been defined by a series of police failures of leadership and communication that resulted in surviving children being trapped with the gunman in two classrooms for more than an hour before law enforcement confronted him and killed him.
“This ruling is a pivotal step towards ensuring transparency and accountability,” said Laura Prather, a media law attorney with Haynes Boone who represents the news organizations. “The public deserves to know the full details of the response to this tragic event, and the information could be critical in preventing future tragedies.”
The ruling by Judge Sid Harle was dated July 8 and it gives the sheriff’s office and the school district 20 days, or until July 28, to release “all responsive documents.”
A similar ruling from a Travis County state district judge last year ordered the Department of Public Safety to release law enforcement records, however DPS has appealed that order and has not yet released the data related to its investigation. Ninety-one of the agency’s troopers responded to the shooting, which drew a response from nearly 400 law enforcement officials.
Uvalde County District Attorney Christina Mitchell had opposed the release of records to the news organizations saying their release could harm her criminal investigation into the shooting response. Two weeks ago, Mitchell announced a grand jury had indicted the former school police chief and an officer on felony charges of child endangerment.
Mitchell and a spokesperson for Uvalde schools did not respond Monday afternoon to requests for comment on the ruling. Uvalde County Sheriff Ruben Nolasco said, “we have no comments on the order.”
___
This story was originally published by The Texas Tribune and distributed through a partnership with The Associated Press.
veryGood! (89289)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Average rate on 30
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Recommendation
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test