Current:Home > NewsFukushima nuclear plant operator in Japan says it has no new safety concerns after Jan. 1 quake -Wealth Evolution Experts
Fukushima nuclear plant operator in Japan says it has no new safety concerns after Jan. 1 quake
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 04:06:41
TOKYO (AP) — The operator of the wrecked Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan said Tuesday it has no new safety worries and envisions no changes to the plant’s decommissioning plans even after a deadly earthquake on Jan. 1 caused minor damage to another idled nuclear plant, rekindling concerns and prompting a regulatory body to order a close examination.
The magnitude 7.6 quake on New Year’s Day and dozens of strong aftershocks in Japan’s north-central region have left 222 people dead and 22 unaccounted for. The main quake also caused a small tsunami.
Two reactors at the Shika nuclear power plant on the western coast of the quake-struck Noto peninsula survived. But its operator, Hokuriku Electric Power Co., later reported temporary power outages due to damage to transformers, the spilling of radioactive water from spent fuel cooling pools and cracks on the ground, but no radiation leaked outside.
“At the moment, we believe there won’t be any change to our (Fukushima Daiichi decommissioning) plan because of the Noto quake,” said Akira Ono, the head of the Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings’ decommissioning unit for Fukushima Daiichi.
He said TEPCO’s assessment confirmed the integrity of all Fukushima Daiichi reactor buildings even in the potential case of a quake 1.5 times as powerful as the one that struck in March 2011.
The magnitude 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami that year destroyed key cooling systems at the plant, triggering triple meltdowns, spewing radioactive materials to surrounding areas and leaving some areas still unlivable.
Ono added that TEPCO’s Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear power plant, the world’s largest, which holds seven reactors in its complex and is located 118 kilometers (73 miles) east of the epicenter, had no major problems and would not require additional safety measures. But he said the utility would wait for nuclear safety regulators to review the impact of the Noto quakes.
He also acknowledged that the New Year’s Day earthquake caught many people “off guard” and was a wake up call for Fukushima Daiichi, where multiple operations are carried out, so it will be better prepared to contain potential risks from the used equipment or facilities that remain at the complex when another major quake or a tsunami hits.
TEPCO has since been working on the plant’s decommissioning, a daunting task expected to take decades to finish if it’s achieved. Ono said facilities that have been built at the Fukushima Daiichi plant since the disaster have been designed under strict safety standards set by the Nuclear Regulation Authority.
“I believe there will be no major impact on them” from the Noto quake, Ono said.
The NRA at a meeting last week asked for further investigation even though initial assessments showed there was no immediate risk to the Shika plant. NRA officials said Shika’s operator should consider the possibility of additional damage to transformers and other key equipment as aftershocks continue.
The NRA order reflects Japan’s greater vigilance over safety risks after the 2011 Fukushima meltdowns.
TEPCO is eager to restart its only workable Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant after more than 10 years of stoppage, following the NRA’s lifting of a more than two-year ban over its lax nuclear safeguard measures at the site.
veryGood! (99417)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- U.K. defense chief declares confidence in Trident nuclear missiles after reports of failed test off Florida
- 3.2 magnitude earthquake recorded in Fremont, California; felt in San Jose, Bay Area
- Why the largest transgender survey ever could be a powerful rebuke to myths, misinformation
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Biden calls Alabama IVF ruling outrageous and unacceptable
- 60 million Americans experience heartburn monthly. Here's what causes it.
- Alabama justice invoked 'the wrath of a holy God' in IVF opinion. Is that allowed?
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Americans have more credit card debt than savings again in 2024. How much do they owe?
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Kentucky Senate panel advances bill to encourage cutting-edge research
- Michigan man convicted in 2018 slaying of hunter at state park
- US promises new sanctions on Iran for its support of Russia’s war in Ukraine, potential missile sale
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- NBA suspends Pistons' Isaiah Stewart for pregame altercation with Suns' Drew Eubanks
- Join a Senegalese teen on a harrowing journey in this Oscar-nominated film
- ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit, Chris Fowler and more will be in EA Sports College Football video game
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
US promises new sanctions on Iran for its support of Russia’s war in Ukraine, potential missile sale
Baylor hosts Houston is top showdown of men's college basketball games to watch this weekend
AT&T outage just a preview of what can happen when cell service goes out: How to prepare
Small twin
A look at Nvidia’s climb to prominence in the AI world, by the numbers
Love Is Blind’s Jimmy Responds to Allegations He Had Off-Screen Girlfriend During Filming
Steven Tyler sexual assault lawsuit filed by former teen model dismissed