Current:Home > StocksGeorgia’s Fulton County is hacked, but prosecutor’s office says Trump election case is unaffected -Wealth Evolution Experts
Georgia’s Fulton County is hacked, but prosecutor’s office says Trump election case is unaffected
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 22:09:24
ATLANTA (AP) — Officials said court and other systems in Georgia’s most populous county were hacked over the weekend, interrupting routine operations, but the district attorney’s office said the racketeering case against former President Donald Trump is unaffected.
Fulton County, which includes most of Atlanta, was experiencing a “widespread system outage” from a “cybersecurity incident,” county commission Chair Robb Pitts said Monday in a video posted on social media. Notably, he said, the outage is affecting the county’s phone, court and tax systems.
But the office of Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis said the racketeering case against Trump and others is not affected.
“All material related to the election case is kept in a separate, highly secure system that was not hacked and is designed to make any unauthorized access extremely difficult if not impossible,” Willis’ office said in a statement.
But the prosecutor’s office said its operations were being “drastically” affected by the electronic court filing system outage. Visitors to the website that houses Fulton County’s online court records were greeted by a message saying it is “temporarily unavailable.”
Additionally, the statement said, the Atlanta Police Department was not sending emails to or opening emails from the district attorney’s office out of concern for its own systems. That was hindering prosecutors’ work because about 85% of their cases come from Atlanta police.
A Fulton County grand jury in August indicted Trump and 18 others. They’re accused of participating in a wide-ranging scheme to illegally try to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia. Four people have already pleaded guilty after reaching plea deals with prosecutors. Trump and the others who remain have pleaded not guilty.
Pitts said the outage was reported to law enforcement and was under investigation. The FBI office in Atlanta confirmed that it was aware of the breach and had been in contact with the county’s information technology department but declined to discuss specifics.
County spokesperson Jessica Corbitt said Tuesday there was no estimate for when the outage would be repaired. Most county offices remained open, though certain transactions were limited due to the outage, according to the county’s website.
veryGood! (39)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Wheel of Fortune Contestants' Bad Luck Curse Shocked Even Ryan Seacrest
- Weasley Twins James Phelps and Oliver Phelps Return to Harry Potter Universe in New Series
- Nike names Elliott Hill as CEO, replacing John Donahoe
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Bad weather cited in 2 fatal Nebraska plane crashes minutes apart
- A new life is proposed for Three Mile Island supplying power to Microsoft data centers
- Takeaways from AP’s story on the role of the West in widespread fraud with South Korean adoptions
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- University of Cincinnati provost Valerio Ferme named new president of New Mexico State University
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Prosecutors decline to charge a man who killed his neighbor during a deadly dispute in Hawaii
- A death row inmate's letters: Read vulnerable, angry thoughts written by Freddie Owens
- Youth activists plan protests to demand action on climate as big events open in NYC
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Former Bad Boy Rapper Shyne Barrow Says Sean Diddy Combs Destroyed His Life
- 'SNL' taps Ariana Grande, Chappell Roan, Billie Eilish, John Mulaney for Season 50 lineup
- Nike names Elliott Hill as CEO, replacing John Donahoe
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Sarah Michelle Gellar Shares Rare Video of Her and Freddie Prinze Jr.'s Daughter Charlotte
YouTuber MrBeast, Amazon sued by reality show contestants alleging abuse, harassment
GM recalling more than 449,000 SUVs, pickups due to issue with low brake fluid warning light
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Trial of man who killed 10 at Colorado supermarket turns to closing arguments
Dutch government led by hard right asks for formal opt-out from EU migration rules
Chris Pine Confirms New Romance During Vacation in Italy