Current:Home > ScamsRobert Brown|Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult -Wealth Evolution Experts
Robert Brown|Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:01:57
The Robert Brown17-year-old suspect in a shooting last week that killed two people and injured eight during Halloween celebrations in downtown Orlando, Florida, has been charged as an adult, authorities said.
Jaylen Dwayne Edgar was charged as an adult with two counts of second-degree murder with a firearm and one count of attempted murder with a firearm, State Attorney Andrew Bain said Monday. The case will be presented to a grand jury, which could decide to elevate the charges to first-degree murder, Bain said.
Edgar will face additional charges as the investigation continues, authorities said.
"This decision was not made lightly and only after a review of all available evidence," Bain said in a statement Monday. "I have personally reviewed all available records and video evidence in this case and there is no question this individual should be charged as an adult."
The Orlando Police Department estimated about 75,000 people were gathered in downtown Orlando to celebrate Halloween last week when gunfire broke out overnight. Early Friday, two people were killed and seven were wounded by gunfire, authorities said.
Another person was hospitalized after being trampled on while trying to run to safety, Bain said. The victims were ages 19 to 39, according to Orlando Police Chief Eric Smith.
Bain said responding police officers immediately identified Edgar as the gunman and "took him into custody moments after the shooting." Prosecutors were working with the Orlando Police Department and have asked the public to submit any videos or pictures from the night of the shooting.
"To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime," Bain said in the statement.
'Troubling trends':Guns remain leading cause of death for children and teens in the US, report says
What happened in the downtown Orlando shooting?
According to Smith, officers responded to shots fired around 1 a.m. Friday in the area of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue before police witnessed a second shooting about a block away,
A total of nine people were hit by gunfire, in which two were pronounced dead, according to police. The six victims who were wounded were taken to the Orlando Regional Medical Center and were in stable condition, Smith said.
Another person who suffered a gunshot wound took herself to a local hospital, police said.
Police released surveillance and body-camera footage showing a crowd of thousands of people in the streets when the suspect opened fire, causing chaos as people fled. Within seconds, at least eight officers surrounded the person who was shot.
A few minutes later, footage captured the suspect rushing through the crowd before additional shots were fired. Officers apprehended the suspect when he tried to leave the scene.
Authorities said the shooting occurred on one of the city's busiest nights of the year as tens of thousands of people gathered to celebrate Halloween. About 100 officers were in the area at the time to provide security, Smith said.
The incident was the latest mass shooting in the United States. At least 445 mass shootings have occurred this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit organization that defines mass shootings as incidents involving four or more victims.
Contributing: Gabe Hauari and Christopher Cann, USA TODAY; C.A. Bridges, USA TODAY NETWORK - Florida
veryGood! (56926)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Georgia House votes to require watermarks on election ballots
- Ex-US Open champ Scott Simpson details why he's anti-LIV, how Greg Norman became 'a jerk'
- How to choose the streaming services that are right for youJump to...
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Philadelphia police officer shot in the hand while serving search warrant at home
- Eminem retracts threat of diss track directed toward Lions OC Ben Johnson
- Bachelor Nation’s Bryan Abasolo Reacts to Speculation About Cause of Rachel Lindsay Breakup
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Why that rain scene in 'Killers of the Flower Moon' is so 'beautiful' to Martin Scorsese
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Buying season tickets to go to one game? That’s the Caitlin Clark Effect
- UPS to layoff nearly 12,000 employees across the globe to 'align resources for 2024'
- Everything You Need to Keep Warm and Look Cute During Marshmallow Weather
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- 'Redemption': Wedding photographer's free portraits for addicts put face on recovery
- Eminem retracts threat of diss track directed toward Lions OC Ben Johnson
- Investigator describes Michigan school shooter’s mom as cold after her son killed four students
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
UPS to layoff nearly 12,000 employees across the globe to 'align resources for 2024'
AP Decision Notes: What to expect in South Carolina’s Democratic presidential primary
How to choose the streaming services that are right for youJump to...
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Hurricane hunters chase powerful atmospheric rivers as dangerous systems slam West Coast
Trump-era White House Medical Unit improperly dispensed drugs, misused funds, report says
Laser strikes against aircraft including airline planes have surged to a new record, the FAA says