Current:Home > FinanceSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Vince McMahon resigns from WWE after allegations of sexual assault -Wealth Evolution Experts
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Vince McMahon resigns from WWE after allegations of sexual assault
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 16:43:39
Embattled wrestling mogul Vince McMahon resigned Friday from the WWE,Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center the company he founded six decades ago, following allegations of sexual assault made public in a lawsuit a day earlier.
The announcement was made Friday evening in a message to staff by Nick Khan, president of the WWE and a member of the board of directors for TKO, the global conglomerate that owns the wrestling giant.
"Vince McMahon has tendered his resignation from his positions as TKO Executive Chairman and on the TKO Board of Directors," Kahn wrote in the message provided to CBS News. "He will no longer have a role with TKO Group Holdings or WWE."
In a federal lawsuit filed Thursday in Connecticut, a former employee, Janel Grant, accused the 78-year-old McMahon and another WWE employee of sexually assaulting her in the workplace.
The lawsuit also accused McMahon of sexual trafficking, alleging that he pressured Grant into having sex with him and another WWE employee in exchange for her job. In 2020, according to the lawsuit, McMahon allegedly pressured Grant into threesomes with other men, including McMahon's physical therapist and another WWE executive, John Laurinaitis, who is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit.
In a statement provided to CBS News on Friday following his resignation, McMahon said that "Grant's lawsuit is replete with lies, obscene made-up instances that never occurred, and is a vindictive distortion of the truth. I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name.
"However, out of respect for the WWE Universe, the extraordinary TKO business and its board members and shareholders, partners and constituents, and all of the employees and Superstars who helped make WWE into the global leader it is today, I have decided to resign from my executive chairmanship and the TKO board of directors, effective immediately."
Thursday's lawsuit was the latest in a series of misconduct allegations against McMahon.
In 2022, McMahon stepped back as CEO of WWE while the company investigated him for alleged misconduct, with the probe centered on claims that he paid hush money to a worker with whom he allegedly had an affair. A 2022 report in the Wall Street Journal said that McMahon had agreed to pay more than $12 million to four women.
- In:
- WWE
- TKO Group Holdings
- Wrestling
- Sexual Assault
- Vince McMahon
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- An Ohio officer says he didn’t see a deputy shoot a Black man but he heard the shots ring out
- Georgia man shot, killed after argument in Zaxby's, suspect at large: DeKalb County Police
- Philadelphia lawyer accused of falsely claiming to represent family of boy killed by police
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Taylor Swift may attend the Super Bowl. Is security around Allegiant Stadium ready?
- As long school funding lawsuit ends in Kansas, some fear lawmakers will backslide on education goals
- Idaho death row inmate nearing execution wants a new clemency hearing. The last one ended in a tie
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- NFL, NBA caught by surprise on mega sports streaming service announcement
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Precious Moments figurines could be worth thousands of dollars if they meet these conditions
- Senate fails to advance border deal, with separate vote expected on Ukraine and Israel aid
- Michigan governor’s budget promises free education and lower family costs, but GOP says it’s unfair
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Your Heart Will Go On After Seeing Céline Dion Sing During Rare Public Appearance Céline Dion
- Christian Bale breaks ground on foster homes he’s fought for 16 years to see built
- Beyoncé hair care line is just latest chapter in her long history of celebrating Black hair
Recommendation
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Lloyd Howell may be fresh NFLPA voice, but faces same challenge — dealing with owners
Maryland’s Gov. Moore says state has been ‘leaving too much potential on the table’ in speech
Why Tish Cyrus Said “I Love You” to Husband Dominic Purcell One Day After Meeting Him
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
Michael Strahan's Daughter Isabella Shares How She's Preparing for Chemo After Brain Cancer Diagnosis
'A Quiet Place: Day One' trailer reveals Lupita Nyong'o as star: Release date, cast
Super Bowl 2024 on Nickelodeon: What to know about slime-filled broadcast, how to watch