Current:Home > FinanceFamily agrees to settle lawsuit against officer whose police dog killed an Alabama man -Wealth Evolution Experts
Family agrees to settle lawsuit against officer whose police dog killed an Alabama man
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:11:35
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — The family of a man killed by a police dog in Montgomery, Alabama, has agreed to settle its federal lawsuit against the police officer who handled the animal, but their lawyers said Friday that they plan to appeal a ruling that cleared the city of responsibility.
The confidential settlement was reached in July in the 2019 lawsuit against Montgomery officer Nicholas Barber, who was responsible for the K9 that attacked and killed then 50-year-old Joseph Pettaway in 2018.
Pettaway was sleeping in a small house where he was employed as a handyman when officers responded to a call that reported an unknown occupant, according to court documents. Almost immediately after the officers arrived, Barber released the dog into the house where it found Pettaway and bit into his groin.
The bite severed Pettaway’s femoral artery, autopsy reports showed. Officers took Pettaway outside where he bled out while waiting for paramedics, according to family’s lawsuit.
“I hope that the case for the family brings some closure for something that is a long time coming,” said their attorney, Griffin Sikes.
The Associated Press has investigated and documented thousands of cases across the U.S. where police tactics considered non-lethal have resulted in fatalities. The nationwide database includes Pettaway’s case.
The lawsuit also named the City of Montgomery and its police chief at the time, Ernest Finley, alleging that the officers had been trained not to provide first aid.
“The Supreme Court has decided that cities and counties are responsible for administering medical care when they arrest somebody,” said Sikes. “We think they failed to do that in this case, and it is not a failure of the individual officers, but a failure of the city that says you’re not to provide medical care”
The claims against the city and the chief were dismissed, but Sikes said the Pettaway family plans on appealing.
Attorneys for Barber, Finley and the City of Montgomery did not respond to an emailed request for comment sent by The Associated Press on Friday morning.
Body camera recordings showing what happened have never been made public. It took years of litigating for the Pettaway family and their lawyers to see them. The judge sided with the city, which said revealing them could create “potential for protests which could endanger the safety of law enforcement officers, the public and private property.”
U.S. Magistrate Judge Jerusha T. Adams suggested that the family was “attempting to try this case in the informal court of public opinion, rather than in the courtroom.”
___
Riddle reported from Montgomery. Riddle is a corps member for The Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (89)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- New movies to see this weekend: Skip 'Last Voyage of the Demeter,' stream 'Heart of Stone'
- Supreme Court blocks, for now, OxyContin maker bankruptcy deal that would shield Sacklers
- Two years after fall of Kabul, tens of thousands of Afghans languish in limbo waiting for US visas
- 'Most Whopper
- Coal miners say new limits on rock dust could save some lives
- Maui shelters list: Maui High School, War Memorial among sites housing people threatened by fires
- 'No real warning': As Maui fire death toll rises to 55, questions surface over alerts. Live updates
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- NOAA doubles the chances for a nasty Atlantic hurricane season due to hot ocean, tardy El Nino
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Iran transfers 5 Iranian-Americans from prison to house arrest in step toward deal for full release
- 'King Of The Hill' actor Johnny Hardwick, who voiced Dale Gribble, dies at 64
- Lauren Aliana Details Her Battle With an Eating Disorder as a Teen on American Idol
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- The Journey of a Risk Dynamo
- Paramore cancels remaining US tour dates amid Hayley Williams' lung infection
- Atlantic ocean hurricane season may be more eventful than normal, NOAA says
Recommendation
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Maui fires death toll rises to at least 53, hundreds forced to evacuate; Biden approves disaster declaration
Nuggets host Lakers, Suns' Kevin Durant returns to Golden State on NBA opening night
Two men, woman die trying to rescue dog from cistern in Texas corn field
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
UN says 5 staff members kidnapped in Yemen 18 months ago walk free
AP-Week in Pictures: Aug. 3 - Aug. 10, 2023
Harry Styles and Taylor Russell Cozy Up During London Outing