Current:Home > MarketsTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Dozens more former youth inmates sue over alleged sexual abuse at Illinois detention centers -Wealth Evolution Experts
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Dozens more former youth inmates sue over alleged sexual abuse at Illinois detention centers
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:11:04
Dozens more former youth inmates filed lawsuits seeking millions of dollars in damages for sexual abuse they allegedly endured at Illinois detention centers dating back to the late 1990s.
Thirteen women and TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center95 men filed two separate lawsuits Friday in the Illinois Court of Claims against the state Department of Corrections and the state Department of Juvenile Justice. Each plaintiff is seeking $2 million in damages, the most allowed under law.
The filings are packed with disturbing allegations that guards, teachers and counselors at multiple juvenile detention centers around the state sexually assaulted inmates between 1997 and 2013. Often the same perpetrators would assault the same children for months, sometimes offering to shorten their sentences or giving them snacks or extra free time in exchange for their silence, according to the lawsuits.
There was no immediate reply Monday morning to an email seeking comment from two state agencies.
One female plaintiff alleged she was 15 years old when she was housed at a detention center in Warrenville in 2012. A guard groped her under her clothes and on another occasion attempted to rape her in a shower area. The guard said he would put her in solitary confinement if she told anyone. The woman went on to allege that another guard sexually assaulted her in a bathroom and then gave her a Butterfinger candy bar.
A male plaintiff alleged he was 13 years old when he was housed at a detention center in St. Charles in 1997. Two guards gave him food, extra time outside his cell and extra television time as a reward for engaging in sex with them, he alleged. When he reported the abuse, the guards locked him inside his cell as punishment, he said. The plaintiff said he was transferred to two other detention centers in Warrenville and Valley View. Guards at those centers groped him as well.
The lawsuits note that a 2013 U.S. Department of Justice survey of incarcerated youth found Illinois was among the four worst states nationwide for sexual abuse in detention facilities.
The former youth inmates’ attorneys have filed similar lawsuits around the country.
Last month, they sued on behalf of 95 other former youth inmates who allege they were sexually abused at Illinois juvenile detention centers between 1997 and 2017. Each of those plaintiffs is seeking $2 million as well. The state Department of Justice said in a statement in response to that lawsuit that those alleged incidents took place under former department leaders. The current administration takes youth safety seriously and all allegations of staff misconduct are investigated by other agencies, including the state police, the department said.
The three Illinois lawsuits bring the total number of plaintiffs to more than 200.
“It’s time for the State of Illinois to accept responsibility for the systemic sexual abuse of children at Illinois Youth Centers,” one of the former inmates’ attorneys, Jerome Block, said.
The inmates’ attorneys also filed an action in Pennsylvania in May alleging 66 people who are now adults were victimized by guards, nurses and supervisors in that state’s juvenile detention system. The Illinois and Pennsylvania lawsuits follow other actions in Maryland, Michigan and New York City.
Some cases have gone to trial or resulted in settlements but arrests have been infrequent.
In New Hampshire, more than 1,100 former residents of the state’s youth detention center have filed lawsuits since 2020 alleging physical or sexual abuse spanning six decades. The first lawsuit went to trial last month, and a jury awarded the plaintiff $38 million, though the amount remains disputed. Eleven former state workers have been arrested, and more than 100 more are named in the lawsuits.
veryGood! (97816)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez expected back in Manhattan court for bribery case
- Clergy abuse survivors propose new ‘zero tolerance’ law following outcry over Vatican appointment
- Runners off the blocks: Minneapolis marathon canceled hours before start time
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Missing postal worker's mom pushing for answers 5 years on: 'I'm never gonna give up'
- 5 killed in Illinois truck crash apparently died from ammonia exposure: Coroner
- Iraqi Christian religious leaders demand an international investigation into deadly wedding fire
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Judge plans May trial for US Sen. Bob Menendez in bribery case
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy says his priority is border security as clock ticks toward longer-term government funding bill
- LeBron James says Bronny is doing well, working to play for USC this season after cardiac episode
- Missouri high school teacher put on leave over porn site: I knew this day was coming
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Missing postal worker's mom pushing for answers 5 years on: 'I'm never gonna give up'
- Stevie Nicks enters the Barbie zeitgeist with her own doll: 'They helped her have my soul'
- A grizzly bear attack leaves 2 people dead in western Canada. Park rangers kill the bear
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Kentucky man linked to Breonna Taylor case arrested on drug charges
The military is turning to microgrids to fight global threats — and global warming
Proof Dakota Johnson and Chris Martin's Romance Is Pure Magic
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Health care has a massive carbon footprint. These doctors are trying to change that
Philadelphia journalist who advocated for homeless and LGBTQ+ communities shot and killed at home
Man arrested in Peru to face charges over hoax bomb threats to US schools, synagogues, airports