Current:Home > InvestMichael Jackson sexual abuse lawsuits on verge of revival by appeals court -Wealth Evolution Experts
Michael Jackson sexual abuse lawsuits on verge of revival by appeals court
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 00:44:17
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A California appeals court on Wednesday will consider reviving the dismissed lawsuits of two men who allege Michael Jackson sexually abused them as children for years, a move the court appears likely to make after a tentative decision that would order the cases back to a lower court for trial.
The suits were filed after Jackson’s 2009 death by Wade Robson in 2013 and James Safechuck the following year. The two men became more widely known for telling their stories in the 2019 HBO documentary, “ Leaving Neverland.”
Both sued MJJ Productions Inc. and MJJ Ventures Inc., two corporations for which Jackson was the sole owner and lone shareholder.
Other news Cigna health giant accused of improperly rejecting thousands of patient claims using an algorithm A federal lawsuit alleges that health insurance giant Cigna used a computer algorithm to automatically reject hundreds of thousands of patient claims without examining them individually as required by California law. Covered California health insurance premiums will go up next year, but many consumers won’t feel it Health insurance premiums on Covered California will increase an average of 9.6% next year. But state officials say most people will avoid price hikes because of government assistance programs. A man tried to sail from California to Mexico. He was rescued, but abandoned boat drifted to Hawaii A boat that washed ashore in Hawaii has been identified as belonging to a California mariner who ran into trouble while sailing from San Diego to Mexico. Attorney for ex-student charged in California stabbing deaths says he’s not mentally fit for trial An attorney for a former Northern California university student charged with murder in the stabbing deaths of two people and attempted murder of a third says his client has not showered in the nearly three months he’s been in jail.In 2021, Superior Court Judge Mark A. Young ruled that the two corporations and their employees had no legal duty to protect Robson and Safechuck from Jackson and threw out the suits. But in a tentative decision last month, California’s 2nd District Court of Appeal reversed that judge and ordered the cases back to trial.
Lawyers for the Jackson estate on Wednesday will try to convince the appeals court to reverse course.
The lawsuits have already bounced back from a 2017 dismissal, when Young threw them out for being beyond the statute of limitations. A new California law that temporarily broadened the scope of sexual abuse cases led the appeals court to restore them. Jackson’s personal estate — the assets he left after his death — was thrown out as a defendant in 2015.
Robson, now a 40-year-old choreographer, met Jackson when he was 5 years old. He went on to appear in Jackson music videos and record music on his label.
His lawsuit alleged that Jackson molested him over a seven-year period. It says that he was Jackson’s employee, and the employees of two corporations had a duty to protect him the same way the Boy Scouts or a school would need to protect children from their leaders.
Safechuck, now 45, said in his suit that he met Jackson while filming a Pepsi commercial when he was 9. He said Jackson called him often and lavished him with gifts before moving on to a series of incidents of sexual abuse.
The Jackson estate has adamantly and repeatedly denied that he abused either of the boys, and has emphasized that Robson testified at Jackson’s 2005 criminal trial that he had not been abused, and Safechuck said the same to authorities.
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they were victims of sexual abuse. But Robson and Safechuck have repeatedly come forward and approved of the use of their identities.
veryGood! (259)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- New Hampshire governor signs bill banning transgender girls from girls' sports
- In New Mexico, a Walk Commemorates the Nuclear Disaster Few Outside the Navajo Nation Remember
- Xander the Great! Schauffele wins the British Open for his 2nd major this year
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Day of chaos: How CrowdStrike outage disrupted 911 dispatches, hospitals, flights
- How Much Money Do Influencers Get Paid? Social Media Stars Share Their Eye-Popping Paychecks
- Trump returns to the campaign trail in Michigan with his new running mate, Vance, by his side
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- A 12-year-old girl is accused of smothering her 8-year-old cousin over an iPhone
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Miami Dolphins' Shaq Barrett announces retirement from NFL
- Trump gunman flew drone over Pennsylvania rally venue before shooting, law enforcement sources says
- Heat-related Texas deaths climb after Beryl left millions without power for days or longer
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Setback to Israel-Hamas cease-fire talks as far-right Israeli official visits contested Jerusalem holy site
- Yemen's Houthis claim drone strike on Tel Aviv that Israeli military says killed 1 and wounded 8 people
- As 'Twisters' hits theaters, experts warn of increasing tornado danger
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
A fire severely damages the historic First Baptist Dallas church sanctuary
Christina Sandera, Clint Eastwood's longtime partner, dies at 61: Reports
Setback to Israel-Hamas cease-fire talks as far-right Israeli official visits contested Jerusalem holy site
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Why Gymnast Dominique Dawes Wishes She Had a Better Support System at the Olympics
Tour de France results, standings: Tadej Pogačar invincible with Stage 20 victory
Bangladesh’s top court scales back government jobs quota after deadly unrest that has killed scores