Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:A Black student’s family sues Texas officials over his suspension for his hairstyle -Wealth Evolution Experts
Indexbit Exchange:A Black student’s family sues Texas officials over his suspension for his hairstyle
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 02:20:45
HOUSTON (AP) — The Indexbit Exchangefamily of a Black high school student in Texas on Saturday filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the state’s governor and attorney general over his ongoing suspension by his school district for his hairstyle.
Darryl George, 17, a junior at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, has been serving an in-school suspension since Aug. 31 at the Houston-area school. School officials say his dreadlocks fall below his eyebrows and ear lobes and violate the district’s dress code.
George’s mother, Darresha George, and the family’s attorney deny the teenager’s hairstyle violates the dress code, saying his hair is neatly tied in twisted dreadlocks on top of his head.
The lawsuit accuses Gov. Greg Abbott and Attorney General Ken Paxton of failing to enforce the CROWN Act, a new state law outlawing racial discrimination based on hairstyles. Darryl George’s supporters allege the ongoing suspension by the Barbers Hill Independent School District violates the law, which took effect Sept. 1.
The lawsuit alleges Abbott and Paxton, in their official duties, have failed to protect Darryl George’s constitutional rights against discrimination and against violations of his freedom of speech and expression. Darryl George “should be permitted to wear his hair in the manner in which he wears it ... because the so-called neutral grooming policy has no close association with learning or safety and when applied, disproportionately impacts Black males,” according to the lawsuit.
The lawsuit, filed in Houston federal court by Darryl George’s mother, is the latest legal action taken related to the suspension.
On Tuesday, Darresha George and her attorney filed a formal complaint with the Texas Education Agency, alleging Darryl George is being harassed and mistreated by school district officials over his hair and that his in-school suspension is in violation of the CROWN Act.
They allege that during his suspension, Darryl George is forced to sit for eight hours on a stool and that he’s being denied the hot free lunch he’s qualified to receive. The agency is investigating the complaint.
Darresha George said she was recently hospitalized after a series of panic and anxiety attacks brought on from stress related to her son’s suspension.
On Wednesday, the school district filed its own lawsuit in state court asking a judge to clarify whether its dress code restrictions limiting student hair length for boys violates the CROWN Act.
Barbers Hill Superintendent Greg Poole has said he believes the dress code is legal and that it teaches students to conform as a sacrifice benefiting everyone.
The school district said it would not enhance the current punishment against Darryl George while it waits for a ruling on its lawsuit.
The CROWN Act, an acronym for “Create a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair,” is intended to prohibit race-based hair discrimination and bars employers and schools from penalizing people because of hair texture or protective hairstyles including Afros, braids, dreadlocks, twists or Bantu knots. Texas is one of 24 states that have enacted a version of the act.
A federal version of it passed in the U.S. House last year, but was not successful in the Senate.
Darryl George’s school previously clashed with two other Black male students over the dress code.
Barbers Hill officials told cousins De’Andre Arnold and Kaden Bradford they had to cut their dreadlocks in 2020. The two students’ families sued the school district in May 2020, and a federal judge later ruled the district’s hair policy was discriminatory. Their case, which garnered national attention and remains pending, helped spur Texas lawmakers to approve the state’s CROWN Act law. Both students withdrew from the school, with Bradford returning after the judge’s ruling.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (159)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Dive in: 'Do Tell' and 'The Stolen Coast' are perfect summer escapes
- After 12 years of civil war, the last thing Syrians needed was an earthquake
- Cyclone Freddy's path of destruction: More than 100 dead as record-breaking storm hits Africa twice
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- TV reboots have to answer one question: Why now? Just look at 'Justified'
- PHOTOS: Meet The Emerging Americana Stars Of The Black Opry Revue
- Prince Harry and Meghan's kids Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet's new titles appear on U.K. royals' website
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- BET Awards honor hip-hop as stars pay tribute to legends such as Tina Turner
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- See Joseph Gordon Levitt Make His Poker Face Debut as Natasha Lyonne's Charlie Is in Big Trouble
- Sex Lives of College Girls' Reneé Rapp Recalls Terrible Time While Filming Season 1
- Extreme floods and droughts worsening with climate change, study finds
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Ed Sheeran Shares His Wife Cherry Seaborn Had a Tumor During Pregnancy
- 'Crook Manifesto' takes Colson Whitehead's heist hero in search of Jackson 5 tickets
- 'Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny' is a whip-crackin' good time
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Chaim Topol, Israeli actor best known for Fiddler on the Roof, dies at 87
Garcelle Beauvais Has the Best Response to Lisa Rinna Saying RHOBH Will Be Boring Without Her
In the Philippines, a survey shows growing support for gays and lesbians
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
James Cameron says the Titan passengers probably knew the submersible was in trouble
An original Princess Leia dress, expected to fetch $2 million at auction, went unsold
U.S. to extend legal stay of Ukrainian refugees processed along Mexican border