Current:Home > NewsPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Investigation finds boy band talent agency founder sexually assaulted hundreds of teens -Wealth Evolution Experts
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Investigation finds boy band talent agency founder sexually assaulted hundreds of teens
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 20:10:45
TOKYO (AP) — A team investigating sexual assault allegations by the late founder of a powerful talent agency for boy bands has found the charges credible,PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center calling Tuesday for compensation for the victims and the resignation of the current chief executive.
The three-month probe, which included speaking with 23 victims, concluded that Johnny Kitagawa sexually assaulted and abused boys as far back as the 1950s and targeted at least several hundred people.
The investigative panel said Johnny & Associates must apologize, strengthen compliance measures and educate its ranks about human rights. Julie Keiko Fujishima, the chief executive, must resign for not taking action over the years, according to the special team. Kitagawa died in 2019 and was never charged.
“The company’s coverup led to the sexual abuse continuing unchecked for so long,” investigative team leader Makoto Hayashi told reporters in Tokyo. “There were many opportunities to take action.”
Critics say what happened at Johnny’s, as the Tokyo-based company is known, highlights Japan’s lagging awareness about rape, sexual harassment and human rights. Public opinion has often been unsympathetic toward people who say they were targeted by sexual predators.
In the Johnny’s case, about a dozen men have come forward in recent months to allege sexual abuse by Kitagawa, the agency’s founder, while performing as teens. More people are expected to come forward, the report said.
Fujishima has so far only apologized in a brief online video for “disappointment and worries " over the case. It is unclear whether she will resign.
The company in a statement reiterated its earlier apology and promise to hold a news conference, once it had studied the team’s report.
While rumors of abuse at Johnny’s circulated over the years and several tell-all books have been published, Japan’s mainstream media remained silent.
Serious questions resurfaced this year after BBC News produced a special segment focused on several people who claimed to be Kitagawa’s victims.
Another turning point came earlier this month when the U.N. Working Group on Business and Human Rights urged the Japanese government to take action. The group also accused Japan’s mainstream media of what it called “a cover-up.”
Kauan Okamoto,musician and former Japanese pop group member, alleges talent manager assaulted him
According to the allegations, Kitagawa asked fledgling singers and dancers, many of them children, to stay at his luxury home. When he told one of them to go to bed early, everyone knew it was “your turn,” those who have spoken up told the panel.
The boys were raped by Kitagawa when they were 14 or 15 and given 10,000 yen (about $100) bills afterward, the report said. It added that the victims feared they would be penalized if they refused.
It recommends more people come forward, promises that their privacy will be protected and that no material evidence of a sexual attack will be required.
Those who have spoken out say they have been painfully traumatized, unable to tell anyone, even family, and still suffer flashbacks and depression, the report said.
veryGood! (7652)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Why Wisconsin Republicans are talking about impeaching a new state Supreme Court justice
- Proud Boys members Dominic Pezzola and Ethan Nordean sentenced in Jan. 6 case
- Is UPS, USPS, FedEx delivering on Labor Day? Are banks, post offices open? What to know
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- HUD secretary learns about housing challenges during Alaska visit
- Adam Driver slams major studios amid strike at Venice Film Festival 'Ferrari' premiere
- Pro-Kremlin rapper who calls Putin a die-hard superhero takes over Domino's Pizza outlets in Russia
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Hollywood labor disputes in 'crunch time' amid ongoing strikes, reporter says
Ranking
- Sam Taylor
- You Can Bet on These Shirtless Photos of Zac Efron Heating Up Your Timeline
- Derek Jeter and Wife Hannah Jeter Reveal How They Keep Their Romance on Base as Parents of 4
- Bill Richardson, a former governor and UN ambassador who worked to free detained Americans, dies
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- A building marked by fire and death shows the decay of South Africa’s ‘city of gold’
- 'Senseless act of gun violence': College student fatally shot by stranger, police say
- Watch Virginia eaglet that fell 90 feet from nest get released back into wild
Recommendation
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
White teen charged with attempted murder after allegedly trying to drown Black youth
More than a meal: Restaurant-based programs feed seniors’ social lives
Students criticize the University of North Carolina’s response to an active shooter emergency
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend viewing, reading and listening
Massive 920-pound alligator caught in Central Florida: 'We were just in awe'
North Carolina’s Supreme Court upholds a death sentence for the convicted murderer of a 4-year-old