Current:Home > InvestBritish Museum seeks public help in finding stolen artefacts -Wealth Evolution Experts
British Museum seeks public help in finding stolen artefacts
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 02:33:36
LONDON -- Please return if found: Hundreds of missing artefacts formerly housed in a museum in central London.
The British Museum has issued a plea to the public to assist in the recovery of ancient artefacts reported stolen or missing from its collection.
The museum -- which announced on Aug. 16 that the Metropolitan Police were investigating "a number of items" found to be "stolen, missing or damaged" -- is now appealing to anyone who may have seen the items to get in touch.
Sixty items have been returned thus far, the museum said in a statement sent to ABC News. Three hundred more are "due to be returned imminently."
The announcement followed one in August by British Museum Chairman George Osborne, who disclosed that "around 2,000" artefacts had been stolen from the museum's storerooms by a suspected museum curator.
The scandal, which has been called an "embarrassment" for the institution, triggered the resignation of British Museum Director Hartwig Fischer.
"The trustees of the British Museum were extremely concerned when we learnt earlier this year that items of the collection had been stolen," said Osborne in a statement. "Our priority is now threefold: first, to recover the stolen items; second, to find out what, if anything, could have been done to stop this; and third, to do whatever it takes, with investment in security and collection records, to make sure this doesn't happen again."
The items the museum is seeking include "gold jewellery, and gems of semi-precious stones and glass" dating back to the 15th century B.C. and the 19th century A.D.
None of the items has recently been on public display, said the museum.
Although the museum is not sharing details of the lost and damaged items following advice from "recovery specialists," the museum announced that majority of the stolen items are from the Department of Greece and Rome, "mainly falling into the categories of gems and jewellery."
The museum also announced that some of the items had been placed on the Art Loss Register -- the world's largest private database of stolen art, antiques, and collectables: "This will ensure that if the stolen pieces appear in the over 400,000 items a year that are checked by them, they will be identified," said the Museum.
Involved too in the search are an international panel of experts, made up "leading specialists" in the field of identification and recovery of stolen items.
Prior to the public appeal, investigations into the missing items had been taking place behind closed doors in partnership with the metropolitan police. In a statement sent to ABC News, the Metropolitan Police confirmed one man had been interviewed on Aug. 23 in relation to the thefts. He was placed "under caution," having voluntarily attended a police station.
The Metropolitan Police told ABC News enquiries into the missing objects continue.
Many have pointed out the irony of the British Museum -- which has come under scrutiny to return artefacts in their possession to their country of origin -- seeking public assistance in retrieving stolen artefacts.
In August, the British Museum announced it will return 72 artifacts that were looted in 1897 -- including Benin Bronzes -- to the Nigerian Government.
The British Museum is also entangled in a debate with Greek authorities over ownership of the famous "Pantheon Sculptures," which were taken from the Pantheon between 1801 and 1805.
"Sir Nigel Boardman and I continue to work closely with the British Museum, other organisations and specialists in this area to recover stolen items and return them to the British Museum's collection," said Lucy D'Orsi, Joint Chair of the Independent Review. "We are very grateful for the support we have received."
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Suspect arrested in Cleveland shooting that wounded 9
- New York City nurses end strike after reaching a tentative agreement
- On California’s Coast, Black Abalone, Already Vulnerable to Climate Change, are Increasingly Threatened by Wildfire
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Read Jennifer Garner's Rare Public Shout-Out to Ex Ben Affleck
- Deer spread COVID to humans multiple times, new research suggests
- Can China save its economy - and ours?
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- How to deal with your insurance company if a hurricane damages your home
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Squid Game Season 2 Gets Ready for the Games to Begin With New Stars and Details
- The great turnaround in shipping
- Amazon ends its charity donation program AmazonSmile after other cost-cutting efforts
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- New York’s Right to ‘a Healthful Environment’ Could Be Bad News for Fossil Fuel Interests
- Breathing Polluted Air Shortens People’s Lives by an Average of 3 Years, a New Study Finds
- Mung bean omelet, anyone? Sky high egg prices crack open market for alternatives
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
This drinks festival doesn't have alcohol. That's why hundreds of people came
Did AI write this headline?
Want a balanced federal budget? It'll cost you.
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Read Emma Heming Willis’ Father’s Day Message for “Greatest Dad” Bruce Willis
Trump’s Interior Department Pressures Employees to Approve Seismic Testing in ANWR
Read Jennifer Garner's Rare Public Shout-Out to Ex Ben Affleck