Current:Home > reviewsThousands of Marines, sailors deploy to Middle East to deter Iran from seizing ships -Wealth Evolution Experts
Thousands of Marines, sailors deploy to Middle East to deter Iran from seizing ships
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 03:39:19
More than 3,000 Marines and sailors arrived in the Middle East on Sunday in a deployment meant to deter Iran from seizing and harassing merchant ships near the Strait of Hormuz, according to U.S. Naval Forces Central Command.
They came aboard the dock landing ship USS Carter Hall and amphibious assault ship USS Bataan, which together can carry dozens of aircraft, including Ospreys and Harrier jets, plus amphibious landing craft and tactical vehicles.
These forces belong to the Bataan Amphibious Ready Group and 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU). The North Carolina-based MEU "is capable of conducting amphibious missions, crisis response and limited contingency operations to include enabling the introduction of follow-on forces and designated special operations," according to a release from Naval Forces Central Command.
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin ordered the move last month "in response to recent attempts by Iran to seize commercial ships" in the Middle East, according to U.S. Central Command.
MORE: US Marines prepare to be put on commercial ships to deter Iranian harassment in Strait of Hormuz
Iranian officials have pushed back on accounts they "harassed" ships -- claiming in one instance that they were responding to a distress signal, for example.
But according to the Navy, Iran attempted to seize two commercial oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman in July, opening fire on one of them. In May, the U.S. said, Iran seized two merchant ships within one week.
"Since 2021, Iran has harassed, attacked or seized nearly 20 internationally flagged merchant vessels, presenting a clear threat to regional maritime security and the global economy," a Navy release stated in July.
Some Marines of the 26th MEU were flown ahead for training in Bahrain in anticipation of being placed aboard commercial ships traveling through the Strait of Hormuz to stop Iran from capturing them, a U.S. official told ABC News on Friday.
A U.S. official previously said the presence of Marines aboard civilian vessels was expected to be a strong deterrent to Iran. And while their mission would be defensive, the Marines would have the right to defend themselves as necessary, the official said.
The U.S. is considering multiple options and is likely to offer protections to ships that are U.S.-flagged, carrying crews that include U.S. citizens or bringing cargo to or from the U.S., according to the official. The commercial shipping industry has been made aware that this option is or will become available on a voluntary basis.
The U.S. now is waiting for commercial shipping companies to request protection. A senior White House official told ABC News last week that while the plan will likely be approved, no final authorization has been given to U.S. Central Command to go forward.
Pentagon press secretary Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder did not confirm the possibility when asked during a press gaggle on Monday.
"I'm aware of the press reports speculating that that's something we may be looking at doing, but ... I don't have anything to announce," Ryder said.
The ships and troops that arrived this weekend join other U.S. military support recently sent to the area.
"In response to a number of recent alarming events in the Strait of Hormuz, the secretary of defense has ordered the deployment of the destroyer USS Thomas Hudner, F-35 fighters and F-16 fighters to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility to defend U.S. interests and safeguard freedom of navigation in the region," Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said during a July 17 briefing.
veryGood! (19)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- 2 Americans believed dead after escapees apparently hijack yacht, Grenada police say
- Backstory of disputed ‘Hotel California’ lyrics pages ‘just felt thin,’ ex-auction exec tells court
- Two Navy SEALs drowned in the Arabian Sea. How the US charged foreign crew with smuggling weapons
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- At 99, this amazing Holocaust survivor and musician is still beating the drum for peace
- Rangers' Matt Rempe, Flyers' Nicolas Deslauriers get into lengthy NHL fight
- Military officials say small balloon spotted over Western U.S. poses no security risk
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Wendy Williams Breaks Silence on Aphasia and Frontotemporal Dementia Diagnosis
Ranking
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Judge throws out Chicago ballot measure that would fund services for homeless people
- Ellie Goulding and Husband Caspar Jopling Break Up After 4 Years of Marriage
- T20 World Cup 2024: Tournament director says cricket matches will be 'very, very exciting'
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- How the Search for 11-Year-Old Audrii Cunningham Turned Into a Devastating Murder Case
- Dolly Parton praises Beyoncé after Texas Hold 'Em reaches No. 1 on Billboard hot country songs chart
- Hey Fox News: The gold Trump sneakers are ugly. And they won't sway the Black vote.
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Body of nursing student found on a University of Georgia campus; police questioning person of interest
1 dead, 3 injured following a fire at a Massachusetts house
Alabama Senate OKs bill targeting college diversity efforts
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Indiana teacher found dead in school stairwell after failing to show for pickup by relative
Judge throws out Chicago ballot measure that would fund services for homeless people
The EU is watching Albania’s deal to hold asylum seekers for Italy. Rights activists are worried