Current:Home > NewsJosef Newgarden wins second straight Indianapolis 500 -Wealth Evolution Experts
Josef Newgarden wins second straight Indianapolis 500
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 01:57:34
Josef Newgarden put his cheating scandal behind him to become the first back-to-back winner of the Indianapolis 500 since Helio Castroneves 22 years ago and give Roger Penske a record-extending 20th win in "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing."
The Tennessean passed Pato O'Ward on the final lap of Sunday's rain-delayed race to become the first driver to win consecutive 500s since Castroneves did it for Penske in 2001 and 2002. And just like last year, Newgarden stopped his Chevrolet-powered car on the track and climbed through a hole in the fence to celebrate with fans in the grandstands.
"I love this crowd. I've got to always go in the crowd if we win here, I am always doing that," Newgarden said.
O'Ward slumped his head over his steering wheel in bitter disappointment. He was trying to become the first Mexican in 108 runnings to win the Indy 500.
It looked as if he had been crying when he finally removed his helmet. He finished sixth in his Indy 500 debut, then fourth and then second in 2022 when he was accused of not being aggressive enough to race Marcus Ericsson for the win.
He refused to back down last year and wound up crashing as he raced for the win. As O'Ward bided his time in the closing laps — he and Newgarden traded the lead several times — he waited to make the winning pass on the final lap.
Newgarden got it right back two turns later.
"It is hard to put it into words - we went back, we went forward, we went back, some people were driving like maniacs," O'Ward said. "We had so many near-race enders. Just so close again. ... I put that car through things I never thought it was going to be able to do. It is always a heartbreak when you're so close, especially when it's not the first time and you don't know how many opportunities you have."
The win was an incredible bounceback for Newgarden, who last month had his March season-opening victory disqualified because Team Penske had illegal push-to-pass software on its cars. Newgarden used the additional horsepower three times in the win and it took IndyCar nearly six weeks to discover the Penske manipulation.
Roger Penske, who owns the race team, IndyCar, the Indy 500 and the speedway, suspended four crew members, including Team President Tim Cindric. The Cindric suspension was a massive blow for Newgarden as Cindric is considered the best strategist in the series.
Newgarden was thrilled to have the win and put the push-to-pass scandal behind him.
"Absolutely, they can say what they want, I don't even care anymore," he said.
The start of the race was delayed four hours by rain and it ruined NASCAR star Kyle Larson's chance to run "The Double." The delay in Indy made him miss the start of the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Although Larson was decent most of the day, two rookie mistakes led to an 18th-place finish. He was on a helicopter headed to a plane for North Carolina within minutes of the race ending.
"I'm proud to have finished but disappointed in myself," said Larson, who has a two-year deal with Arrow McLaren and Hendrick Motorsports for Indy and could return in 2025.
Scott Dixon of Chip Ganassi Racing finished third as the highest-finishing Honda driver and was followed by Alexander Rossi, O'Ward's teammate at Arrow McLaren Racing. Chevrolet took three of the top four spots.
- In:
- Indianapolis
- NASCAR
veryGood! (853)
Related
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- How Aaron Hernandez's Double Life Veered Fatally Out of Control
- One Tree Hill’s Jana Kramer Teases Potential Appearance in Sequel Series
- Take 50% Off a Peter Thomas Roth Serum That Instantly Tightens and Lifts Skin & More Sephora Deals
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- SpaceX launches a billionaire to conduct the first private spacewalk
- When does 'The Voice' start? Season 26 date, time and Snoop Dogg's coaching debut
- Ryan Seacrest debuts as 'Wheel of Fortune' host with Vanna White by his side
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- James Earl Jones Dead at 93: Mark Hamill, LeVar Burton and More Pay Tribute
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- NFL Week 1 overreactions: Can Jets figure it out? Browns, Bengals in trouble
- Bachelorette’s Jenn Tran Reveals She Reached Out to Ex Devin Strader After Tense Finale
- Heidi Klum Reveals Some of the Items Within Her “Sex Closet”
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Maryland Supreme Court hears arguments on child sex abuse lawsuits
- Unionized Workers Making EV Batteries Downplay Politics of the Product
- Commanders release kicker Cade York after two misses in season opener
Recommendation
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Where Selena Gomez Stands With BFF Taylor Swift Amid Rumors About Their Friendship
NFL Week 1 overreactions: Can Jets figure it out? Browns, Bengals in trouble
From Amy Adams to Demi Moore, transformations are taking awards season by storm
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
A timeline of events on day of Georgia school shooting
Nevada GOP politician who ran for state treasurer headed toward trial in fundraising fraud case
James Earl Jones, acclaimed 'Field of Dreams' actor and voice of Darth Vader, dies at 93