Current:Home > InvestUnivision news anchor Jorge Ramos announces departure after 40-year tenure -Wealth Evolution Experts
Univision news anchor Jorge Ramos announces departure after 40-year tenure
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:09:44
Univision news anchor Jorge Ramos, best known as a longtime co-host of "Noticiero Univision," is leaving the network after a 40-year tenure.
Ramos and Univision’s parent company TelevisaUnivision announced the newscaster’s exit, set for after the 2024 U.S. presidential election, in a press release Monday.
"This is not a farewell. I will continue anchoring 'Noticiero Univision' until December, and afterwards I will share my professional plan," Ramos, 66, said in a statement. "I am deeply grateful for these four decades at Univision and very proud to be part of a team that has established strong leadership over the years."
While Ramos did not disclose the reason for his exit, the TV journalist and Univision "mutually agreed" to not renew his contract.
Chloe Troast leaves 'SNL':Actress-comedian was 'not asked back'
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
"I want to express my respect and gratitude for Jorge Ramos and all he has done for Univision and the growing community we serve each and every day," Univision News President Daniel Coronell said in a statement. "As we look to 2025 and beyond, our talented team is well equipped to continue the tradition of journalistic excellence that has defined 'Noticiero Univision' since the beginning."
Jorge Ramos calls Univision his 'second home' in departure announcement
During Monday’s broadcast of "Noticiero Univision," Ramos said his departure was a "difficult" and "sad" decision. He also thanked his colleagues and the program’s viewers for their enduring support, adding that Univision has become his "second home."
"I want to thank those who view us every night, who have accompanied me for so long, with so much affection and loyalty," Ramos said in Spanish.
Known as the "Walter Cronkite of Latin America," Ramos joined "Noticiero Univision" in 1986, hosting the program alongside news anchor María Elena Salinas until her departure in 2017. The Emmy-winning journalist is also host of Univision’s public affairs series "Al Punto."
Ramos' exit marks the second major departure for Univision in the last year. León Krauze, who co-anchored "Noticiero Univision Edición Nocturna," left the news organization in November 2023.
Don Lemon interview:Ex-CNN anchor writes about faith, religion, politics in new memoir
Jorge Ramos went toe to toe with Donald Trump, pushed for critical coverage
Ramos was also known for his outspoken criticism of former President Donald Trump.
In 2015, the Univision anchor was removed from a Trump press conference after he repeatedly tried to ask the then-presidential candidate about his immigration plan. When asked about Ramos after the incident, Trump said he would "take his question in two seconds, but he stood up and started screaming."
Ramos was later allowed to return and question Trump on immigration.
He took aim at Trump again in a November 2023 column after Univision aired a controversial interview with Trump from his Mar-A-Lago residence.
"We cannot normalize behavior that threatens democracy and the Hispanic community or offer Trump an open microphone to broadcast his falsehoods and conspiracy theories," Ramos wrote at the time. "We must question and fact-check everything he says and does."
Contributing: Cooper Allen, USA TODAY
veryGood! (89981)
Related
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Blinken says military communication with China still a work in progress after Xi meeting
- Why anti-abortion groups are citing the ideas of a 19th-century 'vice reformer'
- Jennifer Lawrence Showcases a Red Hot Look at 2023 Cannes Film Festival
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- This Week in Clean Economy: NJ Governor Seeks to Divert $210M from Clean Energy Fund
- Fugitive Carlos Ghosn files $1 billion lawsuit against Nissan
- Court Lets Exxon Off Hook for Pipeline Spill in Arkansas Neighborhood
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Global Warming Is Changing the Winds Off Antarctica, Driving Ice Melt
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Teens, trust and the ethics of ChatGPT: A bold wish list for WHO as it turns 75
- The Taliban again bans Afghan women aid workers. Here's how the U.N. responded
- Judge's ruling undercuts U.S. health law's preventive care
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Out-of-staters are flocking to places where abortions are easier to get
- Kim Zolciak’s Daughters Send Her Birthday Love Amid Kroy Biermann Divorce
- James Ray III, lawyer convicted of murdering girlfriend, dies while awaiting sentencing
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Claire Holt Reveals Pregnancy With Baby No. 3 on Cannes Red Carpet
20 Fascinating Facts About Reba McEntire
Dorian One of Strongest, Longest-Lasting Hurricanes on Record in the Atlantic
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Full transcript of Face the Nation, June 18, 2023
Bill Barr condemns alleged Trump conduct, but says I don't like the idea of a former president serving time
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Spotify deal unravels after just one series