Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-After years of delays, scaled-back plans underway for memorial to Florida nightclub massacre -Wealth Evolution Experts
Indexbit-After years of delays, scaled-back plans underway for memorial to Florida nightclub massacre
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 05:55:29
ORLANDO,Indexbit Fla. (AP) — Survivors and the families of victims of the Pulse nightclub massacre had hoped by now to have a permanent memorial in place for Wednesday’s eighth anniversary of the attack by a lone gunman who killed 49 people at the gay-friendly club in Orlando, Florida.
Instead, new, scaled-back plans are only now getting off the ground following a botched effort to build a multimillion-dollar memorial and museum by a private foundation that disbanded last year.
The city of Orlando purchased the nightclub property last year for $2 million, and it has since outlined more modest plans for a memorial. The original idea for a museum has been jettisoned and, last week, city leaders formed an advisory board to help determine what the memorial will look like.
“We’re very much hoping to find a number of family members to be a part of this committee, as well as survivors,” said Larry Schooler, a facilitator tasked with guiding the memorial effort. City officials said the goal is to have the memorial completed by 2028 at the site near downtown Orlando.
Until last year, efforts to build a memorial had been moving ahead in fits and starts ever since the massacre.
On June 12, 2016, Omar Mateen opened fire during a Latin night celebration, leaving 49 dead and 53 wounded. At the time, it was the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history. But it was surpassed the following year when 58 people were killed and more than 850 were injured among a crowd of 22,000 at a country music festival in Las Vegas. Mateen, who had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, was killed after a three-hour standoff with police.
Barbara and Rosario Poma and businessman Michael Panaggio had previously owned the property, and Barbara Poma was the executive director of the onePulse Foundation — the nonprofit that had been leading efforts to build a memorial and museum. Barbara Poma stepped down as executive director in 2022 and then left the organization entirely last year amid conflict-of-interest criticism over her stated desire to sell instead of donate the Pulse property.
The original project unveiled in 2019 by the onePulse Foundation originally called for a museum and permanent memorial costing $45 million. However, that estimated price tag eventually soared to $100 million.
The scope of the project ended up stretching far beyond the fundraising abilities of the nonprofit, according to an investigation by the Orlando Sentinel.
Deborah Bowie, who took the helm of the foundation in 2022, told the Sentinel that what she found when she arrived was a “house of cards waiting to crash down.”
“There’s a big disconnect between what the board thought was going on and what I saw boots on the ground when I got here,” Bowie said. “The budgets that I saw, I couldn’t find the financial justification for.”
Meanwhile, Pulse survivors and others have been waiting eight years for a permanent memorial.
“All of us are entitled to closure, and that’s never going to happen until this memorial is built,” Brett Rigas told the Sentinel.
veryGood! (785)
Related
- Trump's 'stop
- Arizona governor vetoes bill that some lawmakers hoped would help fix housing crisis
- R. Kelly seeks appeals court relief from 30-year prison term
- Ohio GOP congressional primaries feature double votes and numerous candidates
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Afghan refugee convicted of murder in a case that shocked Albuquerque’s Muslim community
- Chinese billionaire pleads guilty to straw donor scheme in New York and Rhode Island
- Suspect in fatal shooting of New Mexico state police officer caught
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Sports Illustrated gets new life, publishing deal takes effect immediately
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Crafts retailer Joann files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy as consumers cut back on pandemic-era hobbies
- Shop Customer-Approved Big Hair Products for Thin Hair and Fine Hair
- Federal court rules firearm restrictions on defendants awaiting trial are constitutional
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Former Olympian Caitlyn Jenner backs New York county’s ban on transgender female athletes
- Is the Great Resignation over? Not quite. Turnover stays high in these industries.
- The Best Shapewear for Women That *Actually* Works and Won’t Roll Down
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Lawsuit accuses NYC Mayor Eric Adams of sexually assaulting a woman in a vacant lot in 1993
LeBron scores 25, D’Angelo Russell ties Lakers 3-pointers record in LA’s 136-105 win over Hawks
Pennsylvania House speaker pushes for same-day registration and widely available early voting
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Chinese billionaire pleads guilty to straw donor scheme in New York and Rhode Island
Supreme Court chief justice denies ex-Trump aide Peter Navarro’s bid to stave off prison sentence
The Daily Money: Has the Great Resignation fizzled out?