Current:Home > StocksRekubit-NASA sets return date for empty Starliner spacecraft, crew will remain in space until 2025 -Wealth Evolution Experts
Rekubit-NASA sets return date for empty Starliner spacecraft, crew will remain in space until 2025
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 18:33:19
After almost three months of waiting and Rekubitdelays, Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft has a tentative return date, although it will do so without its two-person crew.
On Thursday, NASA said that, “pending weather and operational readiness,” the Starliner will undock from the International Space Station no earlier than 6:04 EDT on September 6. Following a six-hour flight, the spacecraft should touch down a few minutes after midnight on September 7 at a landing zone at the White Sands Space Harbor in New Mexico, where it will then be recovered and transported to the Boeing Starliner factory at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Astronauts Barry “Butch” Wilmore and Sunita “Suni” Williams, who flew aboard the Starliner during its inaugural crewed flight on June 5, will remain at the International Space Station for another six months until they return in February aboard the SpaceX Dragon capsule.
An autonomous return
The Starliner will make the return journey autonomously, according to NASA. The spacecraft completed a similar uncrewed entry and landing during an earlier orbital flight test.
“Teams on the ground are able to remotely command the spacecraft if needed through the necessary maneuvers for a safe undocking, re-entry, and parachute-assisted landing in the southwest United States,” the agency said.
See timeline:2 months after Starliner launched, astronauts still haven’t returned
The Starliner's troubled history
The Starliner has had an often-troubled history since Boeing was awarded a $4.8 billion contract in 2014 to develop a spacecraft capable of making crewed trips to low-Earth orbit.
The spacecraft’s inaugural launch with astronauts aboard was initially scheduled for May 6, but was scrubbed just hour before liftoff after engineers discovered a technical anomaly. A second attempted launch in June 1 was scrubbed as well, this time only minutes before liftoff, due to a computer issue.
When the Starliner finally did launch on June 5 with Wilmore and Williams aboard, it was only scheduled to spend a week docked at the International Space Station. As the Starliner arrived in orbit, however, NASA announced that helium leaks had been discovered aboard the spacecraft. Throughout June and July, Boeing and NASA repeatedly delayed the Starliner’s return, although the space agency was emphatic that the Starliner’s crew was in no way stranded at the space station.
On August 24, NASA announced that the Starliner would return to Earth without its crew.
“Spaceflight is risky, even at its safest and most routine. A test flight, by nature, is neither safe nor routine. The decision to keep Butch and Suni aboard the International Space Station and bring Boeing’s Starliner home uncrewed is the result of our commitment to safety: our core value and our North Star,” NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said at the time.
Contributing: Eric Lagatta, USA TODAY
Max Hauptman is a Trending Reporter for USA TODAY. He can be reached at [email protected]
veryGood! (464)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- 'I am sorry': Texas executes Arthur Lee Burton for the 1997 murder of mother of 3
- An Activist Will Defy a Restraining Order to Play a Cello Protest at Citibank’s NYC Headquarters Thursday
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Simone Biles, an athlete in a sleeping bag and an important lesson from the Olympics
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Three people arrested in rural Nevada over altercation that Black man says involved a racial slur
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Census categories misrepresent the ‘street race’ of Latinos, Afro Latinos, report says
Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
These Lululemon Finds Are Too Irresistible to Skip—Align Leggings for $39, Tops for $24 & More Must-Haves
A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon