Current:Home > StocksThe ship that brought down a Baltimore bridge to be removed from collapse site in the coming weeks -Wealth Evolution Experts
The ship that brought down a Baltimore bridge to be removed from collapse site in the coming weeks
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:02:06
BALTIMORE (AP) — At the site of the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse, crews plan to refloat and remove the grounded Dali container ship within roughly the next 10 days, allowing more maritime traffic to resume through Baltimore’s port.
The ship, which lost power and crashed into one of the bridge’s supporting columns, has been stationary amid the wreckage since the March 26 collapse. Officials expect to have it removed by May 10, according to a news release Tuesday from the Port of Baltimore.
Six members of a roadwork crew plunged to their deaths in the disaster. Four bodies have been recovered while two remain missing.
Crews have identified “areas of interest” where they believe the bodies could be, but they’ve been unable to access them so far, Maryland State Police Superintendent Roland Butler said during a news conference Tuesday afternoon.
“We’re working in generalizations of areas where we think they should be, based on sonar images and other mapping techniques,” he said.
Officials declined to provide a projected timeline for how long the cleanup will continue and when the victims’ families can expect to be made whole. So far, 3,300 tons of debris have been removed from the Patapsco River.
“What we know is that we’re putting forth every single asset that we have at our disposal to bring closure to these families,” Gov. Wes Moore said during the news conference.
Last week, officials opened a temporary deep-draft channel that allowed some stranded cargo ships to finally leave the Port of Baltimore. Others entered the port through the channel, which closed Monday so crews could focus on extracting the Dali from the wreckage.
A large span of the steel bridge came crashing down on the Dali’s bow, damaging the ship and destroying some of its containers. Removing those pieces of bridge is the next major priority in the cleanup process, officials said.
“That work is remarkably complicated,” Moore said, because cutting the spans into shorter sections could risk destabilizing other pieces of wreckage.
Crews are using the largest hydraulic grabber in the country to help in that effort, he said.
Once the Dali returns to port, officials said they expect to open a 45-foot channel by May 10 that can accommodate more large cargo ships. They plan to fully restore the port’s 50-foot main channel by the end of May.
Thousands of longshoremen, truckers and small business owners have seen their jobs impacted by the collapse, prompting local and state officials to prioritize fully reopening the port in hopes of easing the economic ripple effects of the collapse. Officials have also established various assistance programs for unemployed workers and others impacted by the closure.
—
Brian Witte contributed from Annapolis, Maryland.
veryGood! (8373)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Minneapolis Uber and Lyft drivers due for $15 an hour under council’s plan but mayor vows a veto
- Biden visiting battleground states and expanding staff as his campaign tries to seize the offensive
- Who is attending the State of the Union? Here are notable guests for Biden's 2024 address
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Get 50% Off Tarte Mascara, 80% Off Free People, $6 Baublebar Deals, 25% Off Kiehl's & More Discounts
- CBS News poll finds most Americans see state of the union as divided, but their economic outlook has been improving
- Avoid sargassum seaweed, algal blooms on Florida beaches in spring with water quality maps
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Houston police chief apologizes for department not investigating 264K incident reports
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- Michigan appeals court stands by ruling that ex-officer should be tried for murder
- Two groups appeal the selection of new offshore wind projects for New Jersey, citing cost
- 'Cabrini' film tells origin of first US citizen saint: What to know about Mother Cabrini
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Bunnie XO, Jelly Roll's wife, reflects on anniversary of leaving OnlyFans: 'I was so scared'
- Republican Matt Dolan has landed former US Sen. Rob Portman’s endorsement in Ohio’s Senate primary
- Beyoncé graces cover of Apple Music's new playlist in honor of International Women's Day
Recommendation
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Lionel Messi scores goal in Inter Miami's Concacaf Champions Cup match vs. Nashville SC
Uvalde families denounce new report clearing police officers of blame: 'It's disrespectful'
Chiefs fans who endured freezing temperatures during NFL playoffs may require amputations
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Fans split over hefty price tag to hear all of Taylor Swift's new music
Trading national defense info for cash? US Army Sgt. accused of selling secrets to China
Bribery, fraud charges reinstated against former New York Lt. Governor