Current:Home > StocksTradeEdge-Sean 'Diddy' Combs arrested in New York following sex trafficking investigation -Wealth Evolution Experts
TradeEdge-Sean 'Diddy' Combs arrested in New York following sex trafficking investigation
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 16:20:44
Sean "Diddy" Combs was arrested Monday in Manhattan,TradeEdge amid ongoing lawsuits alleging abuse and months after a pair of federal raids that targeted him as the subject of a sex trafficking investigation.
Combs' attorney Marc Agnifilo confirmed the news to USA TODAY in a statement, saying, "We are disappointed with the decision to pursue what we believe is an unjust prosecution of Mr. Combs by the U.S. Attorney’s Office."
The hip-hop mogul was taken into custody "based on a sealed indictment" filed by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, SDNY announced on social media. Though specific charges were not disclosed, the indictment is expected to be unsealed Tuesday morning.
"Combs is a music icon, self-made entrepreneur, loving family man, and proven philanthropist who has spent the last 30 years building an empire, adoring his children, and working to uplift the Black community. He is an imperfect person but he is not a criminal," Agnifilo said.
"To his credit Mr. Combs has been nothing but cooperative with this investigation and he voluntarily relocated to New York last week in anticipation of these charges. Please reserve your judgment until you have all the facts," Agnifilo said. "These are the acts of an innocent man with nothing to hide, and he looks forward to clearing his name in court."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Sean 'Diddy' Combscharged with sex trafficking via 'recurrent and widely known' abuse
Combs' arrest follows a spate of legal woes for the Bad Boy Records founder. He faces multiple lawsuits filed in recent months claiming the music magnate raped or sexually assaulted several alleged victims over the course of decades. Combs has denied all accusations against him.
Sean 'Diddy' Combs accused of sex assault by Danity Kane member, others leading up to arrest
Combs was dealt a double whammy in his ongoing litigation battles earlier this month when singer Dawn Richard and Michigan inmate Derrick Lee Cardello-Smith pursued legal action.
Richard, formerly of the Bad Boy Records girl group Danity Kane and trio Diddy Dirty Money, sued Combs on 21 counts of sexual assault and battery, sex trafficking, gender discrimination and copyright infringement in a lawsuit filed Sept. 10.
She claims the producer stole her work, withheld payment and subjected her to "inhumane" working conditions, which included assault, groping and false imprisonment, over the course of nearly a decade.
The day before Richard's lawsuit was filed, Cardello-Smith was granted $100 million in a default civil suit judgment for an alleged 1997 sexual assault, which the convict sued for in June. In response, Combs filed a pair of emergency motions on Sept. 12 to dismiss the multimillion-dollar judgment, as well as a restraining order granted in the case.
Additionally, in May, two women who claimed to have been sexually abused by Combs in the mid-'90s and early 2000s both sued the rap mogul for the alleged assaults.
Diddy arrest follows lawsuits from Cassie Ventura, 'Love Album' producer
Diddy's wave of legal trouble was spurred by a bombshell lawsuit filed by ex-girlfriend Cassie Ventura in November. The R&B singer accused the mogul of rape, sex trafficking and physical abuse, with both settling the lawsuit for an undisclosed amount the following day.
At the time, Diddy admitted to no wrongdoing, but months later, after CNN released video of the rapper striking and dragging the "Me & U" singer in 2016, he later came out and said he makes "no excuses" for his behavior.
"I'm so sorry," he said in a May Instagram video. "But I'm committed to being a better man each and every day. I'm not asking for forgiveness. I'm truly sorry."
Other high-profile lawsuits include one filed by "The Love Album: Off the Grid" producer Rodney "Lil Rod" Jones Jr., who accused Diddy of "engaging in serious illegal activity," including sexual assault. In the February lawsuit, Jones also accused the rapper and his associates – including his 30-year-old son, Justin Dior Combs, his chief of staff and Combs Global Enterprises – of participating in "a sex-trafficking venture."
Diddy has called the producer's allegations "complete lies."
Sean 'Diddy' Combs accuserLil Rod adds Cuba Gooding Jr. to sexual assault lawsuit
Why was Diddy arrested? Indictment follows raid in federal investigation
According to the indictment, unsealed Tuesday, federal prosecutors allege Combs "abused, threatened, and coerced women and others" to "fulfill his sexual desires" in a "recurrent and widely known" pattern of abuse. Combs' abuse, they claim, ranged from the emotional and verbal to physical and sexual.
His "criminal enterprise" included sex trafficking, forced labor, interstate transportation for purposes of prostitution, coercion and enticement to engage in prostitution, kidnapping, bribery, narcotics offenses and arson, among other crimes, prosecutors allege.
He "manipulated women to participate in highly orchestrated performances of sexual activity with male commercial sex workers." To ensure their participation, Combs would distribute drugs, control their careers or leverage his money, "threatening to cut off (financial support), and using intimidation and violence."
In March, two of Combs' homes were reportedly searched by U.S. Homeland Security as part of a federal investigation.
Federal officials raided Combs' Los Angeles home March 25, according to Rolling Stone and local Los Angeles news station Fox 11. Agents also searched the "Hello Good Morning" rapper's Miami residence the same day, per reports from Rolling Stone, NBC News and The Associated Press.
When reached for comment regarding a case on Combs, a Homeland Security Investigations spokesperson said in a statement to USA TODAY at the time that "Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) New York executed law enforcement actions as part of an ongoing investigation, with assistance from HSI Los Angeles, HSI Miami and our local law enforcement partners."
Per NBC News, the Los Angeles Times and the AP, the searches were part of an ongoing sex trafficking investigation in New York. Several people have been interviewed by investigators about allegations against Combs regarding sex trafficking, sexual assault and other alleged offenses, according to NBC News and the AP.
Sean 'Diddy' Combs' lawyer calls home raids 'a witch hunt'
Aaron Dyer, a corporate investigations and white-collar defense lawyer for Combs, told USA TODAY March 26 that the music mogul is innocent and criticized the federal raid of his homes.
"There was a gross overuse of military-level force as search warrants were executed at Mr. Combs' residences," Dyer said in a statement. "This unprecedented ambush – paired with an advanced, coordinated media presence – leads to a premature rush to judgment of Mr. Combs and is nothing more than a witch hunt based on meritless accusations made in civil lawsuits."
Dyer added that none of the rapper's family members were arrested during the raid.
Douglas Wigdor, a lawyer for Ventura, shared a statement March 25 after reports of the search warrant on Combs emerged.
"We will always support law enforcement when it seeks to prosecute those that have violated the law," Wigdor said. "Hopefully, this is the beginning of a process that will hold Mr. Combs responsible for his depraved conduct."
Contributing: Naledi Ushe and Taijuan Moorman, USA TODAY
veryGood! (75)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Adult Film Star Jesse Jane, Who Appeared in Entourage, Dead at 43
- Georgia senators vote for board to oversee secretary of state despite constitutional questions
- Indianapolis police fatally shoot man wanted on a warrant during an exchange of gunfire
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- From 'Underdoggs' to 'Mission: Impossible 7,' here are 10 movies you need to stream right now
- Kenneth Eugene Smith executed by nitrogen hypoxia in Alabama, marking a first for the death penalty
- Nevada high court ruling upholds state authority to make key groundwater decisions
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Lions could snap Detroit's 16-year title drought: Here's the last time each sport won big
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- University of California board delays vote over hiring immigrant students without legal status
- Former prominent Atlanta attorney who shot his wife in SUV pleads guilty to lesser charges
- Prominent celebrity lawyer pleads guilty to leaking documents to reporters in Fugees rapper’s case
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Illegal border crossings from Mexico reach highest on record in December before January lull
- People take to the beach as winter heat wave hits much of Spain
- Other passengers support man who opened emergency exit, walked on wing of plane in Mexico airport
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Iowa promised $75 million for school safety. Two shootings later, the money is largely unspent
Deepfakes exploiting Taylor Swift images exemplify a scourge with little oversight
Small cargo plane crashes after takeoff from New Hampshire airport, pilot hospitalized
Could your smelly farts help science?
Travis Kelce Shares Conversation He Had With Taylor Swift About Media Attention
Texas woman's financial woes turn around after winning $1 million in online scratch-off
Tumbling Chinese stocks and rapid Chipotle hiring