Current:Home > MyOwner of collapsed Iowa building that killed 3 people files lawsuit blaming engineering company -Wealth Evolution Experts
Owner of collapsed Iowa building that killed 3 people files lawsuit blaming engineering company
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 03:19:58
DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — The owner of an Iowa apartment building that collapsed in May, killing three people, has filed a lawsuit that blames an engineering company for not warning the building was structurally unsound and that residents should be evacuated.
Real estate owner Andrew Wold filed the lawsuit last week against Select Structural Engineering, more than three months after the May 28 partial collapse of the building in Davenport, the Quad-City Times reported Sunday. Three men died when one side of the six-story building partially collapsed and crews had to amputate a woman’s leg to rescue her from the rubble.
The lawsuit argued Select Structural Engineering didn’t identify the risk of collapse, the danger of such a collapse and repairs that would have avoided a collapse.
“At no time did Select Structural opine that the defects in the west wall would require an evacuation of the building,” the lawsuit said. “To the contrary, Select Structural expressly stated that the Davenport Hotel was not in danger of collapse and that no evacuation was necessary.”
Select Structural, based in Bettendorf, Iowa, has declined to comment on the building collapse.
On Monday, the newspaper also reported that more than 2,000 emails released under a public records request included one from a city code enforcement officer to himself. The officer wanted to document a coworker’s comment — two days after the collapse — that the colleague had warned of the danger.
Officer Tom Van De Wiele wrote in the email May 30 that another code enforcement officer, Anthony Haut, showed him pictures of an exterior wall that he said showed the danger. In the email, Van De Wiele wrote, “He was frustrated and whispered to me that ‘the whole side is going to come down.’”
Van De Wiele wrote that he told Haut he should tell supervisors Rich Oswald or Beth Bringolf. But the other code enforcement officer responded “I have and Rich told me to back off and don’t worry about it.”
Van De Wiele wrote that he wanted to “document this for down the road just in case.”
None of those named in the email responded to requests for comment by the Quad-City Times, and Assistant City Attorney Brian Heyer told the newspaper that city employees aren’t authorized to respond to such media inquiries.
Since the building collapsed, residents have filed several lawsuits arguing that the building owner, engineering company and city officials were negligent. Documents released by the city made clear that all were aware that the 116-year-old building had structural problems but the engineering company said there wasn’t an “imminent threat” to the building or residents.
The remains of the building were cleared in the weeks after the collapse and the downtown site is now bare ground.
veryGood! (51929)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Blast Off With These Secrets About Apollo 13
- Light a Sparkler for These Stars Who Got Married on the 4th of July
- When the Power Goes Out, Who Suffers? Climate Epidemiologists Are Now Trying to Figure That Out
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Robert De Niro Mourns Beloved Grandson Leandro De Niro Rodriguez's Death at 19
- Q&A: The Activist Investor Who Shook Up the Board at ExxonMobil, on How—or if—it Changed the Company
- Kyle Richards and Mauricio Umansky Break Up After 27 Years of Marriage
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Adele Is Ready to Set Fire to the Trend of Concertgoers Throwing Objects Onstage
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- How Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher Keep Pulling Off the Impossible for a Celebrity Couple
- Toyota to Spend $35 Billion on Electric Push in an Effort to Take on Tesla
- Housing dilemma in resort towns
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Cue the Fireworks, Kate Spade’s 4th of July Deals Are 75% Off
- As some families learn the hard way, dementia can take a toll on financial health
- BBC chair quits over links to loans for Boris Johnson — the man who appointed him
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
In ‘Silent Spring,’ Rachel Carson Described a Fictional, Bucolic Hamlet, Much Like Her Hometown. Now, There’s a Plastics Plant Under Construction 30 Miles Away
A new film explains how the smartphone market slipped through BlackBerry's hands
Influencer Jackie Miller James Is Awake After Coma and Has Been Reunited With Her Baby
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
From mini rooms to streaming, things have changed since the last big writers strike
Would you live next to co-workers for the right price? This company is betting yes
Adidas finally has a plan for its stockpile of Yeezy shoes