Current:Home > MyNorthern Ireland prosecutor says UK soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday won’t face perjury charges -Wealth Evolution Experts
Northern Ireland prosecutor says UK soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday won’t face perjury charges
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:12:24
LONDON (AP) — Fifteen British soldiers who allegedly lied to an inquiry into Bloody Sunday, one of the deadliest days of the decades-long Northern Ireland conflict, will not face perjury charges, prosecutors said Friday.
There was insufficient evidence to convict the soldiers or a former alleged member of the Irish Republican Army about their testimony before an inquiry into the 1972 killings of 13 civilians by Britain’s Parachute Regiment in Derry, also known as Londonderry, the Public Prosecution Service said.
An initial investigation into the slayings on Jan. 30, 1972 concluded the soldiers were defending themselves from a mob of IRA bombers and gunmen. But a 12-year-long inquiry concluded in 2010 that soldiers unjustifiably opened fire on unarmed and fleeing civilians and then lied about it for decades.
Families of the victims were outraged by the decision. John Kelly, whose brother Michael was killed by paratroopers, spoke for the group and called it an “affront to the rule of law.”
“Why is it that the people of Derry cannot forget the events of Bloody Sunday, yet the Parachute Regiment, who caused all of the deaths and injury on that day, apparently cannot recall it?” Kelly said. “The answer to this question is quite simple but painfully obvious: The British Army lied its way through the conflict in the north.”
Although a quarter century has passed since the Good Friday peace accord in 1998 largely put to rest three decades of violence involving Irish republican and British loyalist militants and U.K. soldiers, “the Troubles″ still reverberate. Some 3,600 people were killed — most in Northern Ireland, though the IRA also set off bombs in England.
Only one ex-paratrooper from Bloody Sunday, known as Soldier F, faces prosecution for two murders and five attempted murders. He was among the 15 soldiers who could have faced a perjury charge.
While victims continue to seek justice for past carnage, the possibility of a criminal prosecution could soon vanish.
The British government passed a Legacy and Reconciliation Bill last year that would have given immunity from prosecution for most offenses by militant groups and British soldiers after May 1. But a Belfast judge ruled in February that the bill does not comply with human rights law. The government is appealing the ruling.
Attorney Ciaran Shiels, who represents some of the Bloody Sunday families, said they would not rule out further legal action.
“It is of course regrettable that this decision has been communicated to us only today, some 14 years after the inquiry’s unequivocal findings, but less than two weeks before the effective enactment date of the morally bankrupt legacy legislation designed specifically to allow British Army veterans to escape justice for its criminal actions in the north of Ireland,” Shiels said.
Senior Public Prosecutor John O’Neill said the decision not to bring criminal charges was based on three things: accounts given by soldiers in 1972 were not admissible; much of the evidence the inquiry relied on is not available today; and the inquiry’s conclusion that testimony was false did not always meet the criminal standard of proof.
“I wish to make clear that these decisions not to prosecute in no way undermine the findings of the Bloody Sunday Inquiry that those killed or injured were not posing a threat to any of the soldiers,” O’Neill said.
veryGood! (24619)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Michael Keaton explains how Jenna Ortega made new 'Beetlejuice' movie happen
- Bill Belichick, Nick Saban were often brutal with media. Now they are media.
- NFL kickoff rule and Guardian Cap could be game changers for players, fans in 2024
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- A prosecutor asks for charges to be reinstated against Alec Baldwin in the ‘Rust’ case
- Death doulas and the death positive movement | The Excerpt
- YouTuber Paul Harrell Announces His Own Death at 58
- Trump's 'stop
- Website offers $1,000 for a 'Pumpkin Spice Pundit' to taste-test Trader Joe's fall items
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Bigger and Less Expensive: A Snapshot of U.S. Rooftop Solar Power and How It’s Changed
- Worst team in MLB history? 120-loss record inevitable for Chicago White Sox
- Grandmother charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in 3-year-old granddaughter’s death
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- The Justice Department is investigating sexual abuse allegations at California women’s prisons
- There's no SSI check scheduled for this month: Don't worry, it all comes down to the calendar
- They made a movie about Trump. Then no one would release it
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
There's no SSI check scheduled for this month: Don't worry, it all comes down to the calendar
When do new 'Selling Sunset' episodes come out? Season 8 release date, cast, where to watch
Gigi Hadid and Bradley Cooper Show Sweet PDA on Yacht in Italy
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
1000-Lb. Sisters’ Tammy Slaton Picks Up Sister Amy’s Kids After Her Arrest
19 adults, 3 teens accused in massive retail-theft ring at Target stores
Maryland will participate in the IRS’s online tax filing program