Current:Home > FinanceProsecutors may extend 'offers' to 2 defendants in Georgia election case -Wealth Evolution Experts
Prosecutors may extend 'offers' to 2 defendants in Georgia election case
View
Date:2025-04-13 02:19:18
With less than a month to go before the first trial gets underway in the sweeping Georgia election interference case, prosecutors in the Fulton County district attorney's office on Friday suggested they may extend some sort of plea offer to the two defendants set to stand trial.
Former Trump campaign attorney Sidney Powell and lawyer Kenneth Chesebro are scheduled to stand trial on Oct. 23 after a judge severed their cases from the 17 other defendants following the pair's speedy trial requests.
Powell and Chesebro, along with former President Donald Trump and 16 others, have pleaded not guilty to all charges in a criminal racketeering indictment for alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election in the state of Georgia.
MORE: Judge severs Trump's Georgia election interference case, and 16 others, from trial starting in October
The possibility of an offer was raised Friday during a virtual status conference, when Judge Scott McAfee brought up "disposition without a trial" and asked if the state "is planning to convey any offers in this case?"
Prosecutor Nathan Wade responded that attorneys in the DA's office "have not made an offer." The judge then followed up, asking, "Is the state in the position to be able to make one in the near future?"
"Judge, I believe that we can," Wade replied. "We'll sit down and kind of put some things together and we'll reach out to defense counsel individually to extend an offer."
Chesebro is accused in the DA's indictment of drafting a strategy to use so-called "alternate electors" to prevent Joe Biden from receiving 270 electoral votes during the certification of the 2020 presidential election. His attorneys have argued that the action was justified since Chesebro, in working for Trump, was "fulfilling his duty to his client as an attorney."
Powell is accused of conspiring with other co-defendants to commit election fraud by allegedly encouraging and helping people tamper with ballot markers and machines inside an elections office in Coffee County.
Also during Friday's hearing, Judge McAfee opened the door to the possibility that more defendants may join the Oct. 23 trial.
Earlier this month, when McAfee severed the 17 defendants from the speedy trial, he ordered that all the remaining defendants must waive their right to speedy trial or they will "immediately" join the Oct. 23 trial -- but as of Friday, McAfee said, six defendants had still have not waived.
"I will be checking in with everyone today," McAfee said of the defendants who have not waived their right to speedy trial. "Based on the feedback and the response we get, if it dramatically shifts the dynamic, we will make room. Perhaps instead of two tables, we'll be getting three or four."
"We're taking it day by day," McAfee said.
Among the other 17 defendants, Trump, attorney Rudy Giuliani and former Trump Chief of Staff Meadows have all waived their speedy trial rights.
McAfee also offered an initial timetable for the trial, indicating he expects it to take 3-5 months.
veryGood! (83412)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Drug cartels are sharply increasing use of bomb-dropping drones, Mexican army says
- Brooklyn man charged with murder in 'horrific' hammer attack on mother, 2 children
- California doctor lauded for COVID testing work pleads guilty to selling misbranded cosmetic drugs
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Far away from Trump’s jail drama, Ron DeSantis and his family head to Iowa’s ‘Field of Dreams’
- Trump set to surrender at Georgia jail on charges that he sought to overturn 2020 election
- For Trump, X marks the spot for his social media return. Why that could really matter
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- It's still a haute mess, but I can't resist 'And Just Like That...'
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Former residents of a New Hampshire youth center demand federal investigation into abuse claims
- Federal judge in lawsuit over buoys in Rio Grande says politics will not affect his rulings
- Judge rejects Mark Meadows' request to postpone surrender and arrest in Fulton County
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Radio announcer Suzyn Waldman fed up with 'boring,' punchless Yankees
- Heidi Klum cheers on Golden Buzzer singer Lavender Darcangelo on 'AGT': 'I am so happy'
- At least 3 killed in shooting at historic Southern California biker bar
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Virginia school boards must adhere to Gov. Youngkin’s new policies on transgender students, AG says
R. Kelly, Universal Music Group ordered to pay $507K in royalties for victims, judge says
The Blind Side Producers Reveal How Much Money the Tuohys Really Made From Michael Oher Story
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Australian, US, Filipino militaries practice retaking an island in a drill along the South China Sea
Trump praises Jan. 6 crowd, repeats election lies in online interview while skipping GOP debate
North Carolina governor to veto election bill, sparking override showdown with GOP supermajority