Current:Home > FinanceNorth Carolina court orders RFK Jr.'s name to be removed just before ballots are sent -Wealth Evolution Experts
North Carolina court orders RFK Jr.'s name to be removed just before ballots are sent
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:58:37
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina appeals court on Friday ruled that Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s name must be taken off state ballots for president, upending plans in the battleground state just as officials were about to begin mailing out the nation’s first absentee ballots for the Nov. 5 presidential election.
The intermediate-level Court of Appeals issued an order granting Kennedy’s request to halt the mailing of ballots that included his name. The court also told a trial judge to order the State Board of Elections to distribute ballots without Kennedy’s name on them. No legal explanation was given.
State law otherwise required the first absentee ballots to be mailed or transmitted no later than 60 days before the general election, making Friday the deadline. The process of reprinting and assembling ballot packages likely would take more than two weeks, state attorneys have said. The ruling could be appealed.
Kennedy, the nominee of the We The People party in North Carolina, had sued last week to get off the state’s ballots after he suspended his campaign and endorsed Republican nominee Donald Trump. But the Democratic majority on the State Board of Elections rejected the request, saying it was too late in the process of printing ballots and coding tabulation machines. Kennedy then sued.
Wake County Superior Court Judge Rebecca Holt on Thursday denied Kennedy’s effort to keep his name off ballots, prompting his appeal. In the meantime, Holt told election officials to hold back sending absentee ballots until noon Friday.
A favorable outcome for Kennedy could assist Trump’s efforts to win the presidential battleground of North Carolina. Trump won the state’s electoral votes by just 1.3 percentage points over Democrat Joe Biden in 2020.
More than 132,500 people — military and overseas workers and in-state civilian residents — have requested North Carolina absentee ballots so far, the State Board of Elections said.
In an email, state board attorney Paul Cox told election directors in all 100 counties after Friday’s ruling to hold on to the current ballots but not send them. More than 2.9 million absentee and in-person ballots have been printed so far.
No decision has been made on appealing Friday’s decision, Cox wrote, and removing Kennedy and running mate Nicole Shanahan from the ballot would be “a major undertaking for everyone,” Cox wrote.
Since Kennedy suspended his campaign, the environmentalist and author has tried to get his name removed from ballots in several states where the race between Trump and Democratic nominee Kamala Harris are expected to be close.
Kennedy on Wednesday sued in Wisconsin to get his name removed from the presidential ballot there after the state elections commission voted to keep him on it. Kennedy also filed a lawsuit in Michigan but a judge ruled Tuesday that he must remain on the ballot there.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Software company CEO dies 'doing what he loved' after falling at Zion National Park
- North Carolina maker of high-purity quartz back operating post-Helene
- Minnesota coach Cheryl Reeve needed Lynx to 'be gritty at the end.' They delivered.
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Tiffany Smith, Mom of YouTuber Piper Rockelle, to Pay $1.85 Million in Child Abuse Case to 11 Teens
- Apple's insider leaks reveal the potential for a new AI fix
- Fisher-Price recalls 2 million baby swings for suffocation risk after 5 deaths
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Courtney Williams’ go-to guard play gives Lynx key 3-pointers in Game 1 win
Ranking
- Trump's 'stop
- How to Really Pronounce Florence Pugh's Last Name
- Climate change gave significant boost to Milton’s destructive rain, winds, scientists say
- Rihanna Reveals What Her Signature Scent Really Is
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Pregnant Brittany Mahomes Shares Glimpse at Zoo Family Day With Patrick Mahomes and Their Kids
- Former inmates with felony convictions can register to vote under new provisions in New Mexico
- Reese Witherspoon Reacts to Daughter Ava Phillippe's Message on Her Mental Health Journey
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Authorities continue to investigate container suspected of holding dynamite in Tennessee
Photos capture Milton's damage to Tropicana Field, home of Tampa Bay Rays: See the aftermath
Martha Stewart admits to cheating on husband in Netflix doc trailer, says he 'never knew'
Trump's 'stop
Pregnant Influencer Campbell “Pookie” Puckett and Husband Jett Puckett Reveal Sex of Their First Baby
Guardians tame Tigers to force winner-take-all ALDS Game 5
Dr. Dre sued by former marriage counselor for harassment, homophobic threats: Reports