Current:Home > FinanceFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Wildfires east of LA, south of Reno, Nevada, threaten homes, buildings, lead to evacuations -Wealth Evolution Experts
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Wildfires east of LA, south of Reno, Nevada, threaten homes, buildings, lead to evacuations
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 05:58:53
HIGHLAND,FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center Calif. (AP) — Out-of-control wildfires in the foothills of a national forest east of Los Angeles and in a recreational area south of Reno, Nevada, threatened buildings and forced hundreds of residents to flee amid a days-long heat wave of triple-digit temperatures.
In California, the so-called Line Fire was burning along the edge of the San Bernardino National Forest, about 65 miles (105 kilometers) east of Los Angeles. As of Monday morning, the blaze had charred about 32 square miles (83 square kilometers) of grass and chaparral and blanketed the area with a thick cloud of dark smoke.
It remained uncontained, threatening more than 36,000 structures, including single and multi-family homes and commercial buildings, the U.S. Forest Service said.
About 20 miles outside Reno, Nevada, the Davis Fire, which started Sunday afternoon, has grown to about 10 square miles (26 square kilometers). It originated in the Davis Creek Regional Park in the Washoe Valley and was burning in heavy timber and brush, firefighters said. It, too, was not contained.
An emergency declaration issued for Washoe County by Gov. Joe Lombardo on Sunday said about 20,000 people were evacuated from neighborhoods, businesses, parks and campgrounds. Some of south Reno remained under the evacuation notice on Monday, firefighters said, and some homes, businesses and traffic signals in the area were without power.
The California fire burned so hot Saturday that it created its own thunderstorm-like weather systems of pyroculumus clouds, which can create more challenging conditions such as gusty winds and lightning strikes, according to the National Weather Service. Firefighters worked in steep terrain in temperatures above 100 degrees (38 Celsius), limiting their ability to control the blaze, officials said. State firefighters said three firefighters had been injured.
Evacuations were ordered Saturday evening for Running Springs, Arrowbear Lake, areas east of Highway 330 and other regions.
Running Springs resident Steven Michael King said he had planned to stay to fight the fire and help his neighbors until Sunday morning, when the fire escalated. He had prepped his house to prevent fire damage but decided to leave out of fear smoke could keep him from finding a way out later.
“It came down to, which is worse, being trapped or being in a shelter?” King said outside an evacuation center Sunday. “When conditions changed, I had to make a quick decision, just a couple of packs and it all fits in a shopping cart.”
Joseph Escobedo said his family has lived in Angelus Oaks for about three years and has never had to evacuate for wildfire. His family, with three young children, was among the remaining few who hadn’t left as of Sunday afternoon.
“It’s kind of frightening with the possibility of losing your home and losing everything we worked really hard for,” Escobedo said as his family packed up the essentials to leave. ”It’s hard to leave and not be sure if you’re gonna be able to come back.”
The affected area is near small mountain towns in the San Bernardino National Forest where Southern California residents ski in the winter and mountain bike in the summer. Running Springs is on the route to the popular ski resort town of Big Bear.
Smoke already blanketed downtown San Bernardino, where Joe Franco, a worker at Noah’s Restaurant, said his friends in the surrounding evacuation zones were gearing up to leave at a moment’s notice.
“They’re just kind of hanging on tight and getting their stuff ready to move,” Franco said. ”Normally they’re here, but a lot of people are not coming today.”
Redlands Unified School District cancelled Monday classes for roughly 20,000 students, and Gov. Gavin Newsom proclaimed a state of emergency for San Bernardino County.
Meanwhile, a small vegetation fire, less than a square mile (2.6 square kilometers), burned at least 30 homes and commercial buildings and destroyed 40 to 50 vehicles Sunday afternoon in Clearlake City, 110 miles (117 kilometers) north of San Francisco, officials said. Roughly 4,000 people were forced to evacuate by the Boyles Fire, which was about 10% contained Monday morning.
—-
Associated Press reporter Kathy McCormack in New Hampshire contributed to this story.
veryGood! (511)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Jury sides with school system in suit accusing it of ignoring middle-schooler’s sex assault claims
- Why the military withdrawal from Niger is a devastating blow to the U.S., and likely a win for Russia
- Family of man killed when Chicago police fired 96 times during traffic stop file wrongful death suit
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Don Steven McDougal indicted in murder, attempted kidnapping of 11-year-old Audrii Cunningham
- Travis Kelce’s NFL Coach Shares What’s “Rare” About His Taylor Swift Love Story
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Build-A-Bear
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Summer Kitchen Must-Haves Starting at $8, Plus Kitchen Tools, Gadgets, and More
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- The Best Swimsuit Coverups on Amazon for All Your Future Beachy Vacations
- Justice Department to pay $138.7 million to settle with ex-USA gymnastics official Larry Nassar victims
- Teen charged in mass shooting at LGBTQ+ friendly punk rock show in Minneapolis
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Former Wisconsin college chancellor fired over porn career is fighting to keep his faculty post
- Emma Stone Responds to Speculation She Called Jimmy Kimmel a Prick
- Biden administration expands overtime pay to cover 4.3 million more workers. Here's who qualifies.
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Supreme Court will consider when doctors can provide emergency abortions in states with bans
Prosecutors argue Trump willfully and flagrantly violated gag order, seek penalty
Mega Millions winning numbers for April 23 drawing: Did anyone win $202 million jackpot?
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Build-A-Bear
Tesla driver in Seattle-area crash that killed motorcyclist told police he was using Autopilot
Billionaire Texas oilman inks deal with Venezuela’s state-run oil giant as U.S. sanctions loom