Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-Teen worker raped by McDonald's manager receives $4.4 million in settlement: Reports -Wealth Evolution Experts
Indexbit-Teen worker raped by McDonald's manager receives $4.4 million in settlement: Reports
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:57:33
A McDonald's franchisee has agreed to pay a Pennsylvania girl $4.4 million to settle her lawsuit after being sexually assaulted by her manager who was a registered sex offender,Indexbit ABC News reported.
The victim started her job at the Bethel Park restaurant in October 2020 and sometime after that, Walter Garner, 41, made sexual comments and touched the victim inappropriately, according to the lawsuit . obtained by ABC News. Garner raped the victim in the restaurant's bathroom in mid-February, 2021, the records show.
“How is it that a convicted, registered sex offender is permitted to be hired to manage 14- to 17-year-old girls at a McDonald’s?” Alan Perer, the victim’s lawyer, said during a news conference Monday morning at his offices in downtown Pittsburgh. “The facts of our case are horrific.”
Texas Dairy Queen workers:Were selling meth with soft serves, police say
The victim and her parents sued McDonald’s and Rice Enterprises in September 2021, alleging that she was harassed and raped by Garner. In the lawsuit the victim claims that the defendants knew about it and that they did nothing to stop it.
Perer said Monday that it was in the best interests of the victim to settle the case because he did not want to put her through a trial.
“There is no amount of compensation to account for lost innocence and trauma,” Perer said.
Garner pleaded guilty in 2021 to statutory sexual assault, indecent assault and other charges for the McDonald's assault and received a 10-year prison sentence.
In a statement to USA TODAY Rice Enterprises says that all of their employees undergo safe and respectful workplace training upon hire, and expanded their required training to be bi-annual, In addition, the company plans to to add enhanced security measures at its restaurants.
“As soon as we were made aware of the complaint against Garner in 2021, we terminated his employment and offered our full support to the impacted employees and law enforcement investigating this case," Rice Enterprises said in the statement. "Since then, we’ve redoubled our efforts to ensure a positive and respectful experience for all employees in our restaurants, and our organization maintains a zero-tolerance policy for harassment of any kind.”
McDonald's USA commented on the incident.
“The events that took place in this case are deeply troubling. Everyone working under the Arches deserves to feel safe and respected when they come to work, and sexual harassment or violence of any kind is completely unacceptable. We're committed to providing franchisees with the resources they need to create a safe working environment in their restaurants – including training around harassment prevention as part of McDonald's Global Brand Standards.” McDonald's USA said in a statement to USA TODAY.
Victim not the only one that reported abuse
According to a report by WPIX, Perer said multiple underage girls working at the restaurant made complaints to a manager about Garner’s inappropriate touching and advances, but no disciplinary action was taken.
“They were looking at surveillance," Perer told WPIX. "They saw he was trying to grab and fondle her in the [restaurant],”
Perer said Garner wasn’t disciplined even after that and the abuse ramped up. According to the court documents, Garner followed the victim into the bathroom and raped her. He later allegedly tried to have sex with her inside the kid’s play area.
Another teen said Garner was trying to make advances toward her. When she told her mother, the school was contacted. The police department was then called and the investigation started.
“He remained there and continued his abuse and harassment until he was arrested. Then they fired him,” Perer said.
The owner of the franchise told WPIX they are fully cooperating with police.
“The allegations made in the lawsuit are deeply disturbing – my organization has no tolerance for sexual harassment, and we terminated the employee in question as soon as we learned about a complaint against him. While all of our employees undergo safe and respectful workplace training upon hire, we’ve recently expanded our training to be bi-annual, in addition to adding enhanced security measures at our restaurants. We have offered our full support to the impacted employee and are fully cooperating with the police investigation into these allegations," the statement read.
Garner, 44, had served prison time and was listed on the Megan's Law website for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl.
veryGood! (39)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Flash floods in northern Afghanistan sweep away livelihoods, leaving hundreds dead and missing
- Mother's Day traditions differ across the world — see how other families celebrate
- Dutch broadcaster furious, fans bemused after Netherlands’ Joost Klein is booted from Eurovision
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Why 12-team College Football Playoff is blessing, curse for Tennessee, Florida, LSU
- Punxsutawney Phil’s babies are named Shadow and Sunny. Just don’t call them the heirs apparent
- Somalia wants to terminate the UN political mission assisting peace efforts in the country
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Amazon’s self-driving robotaxi unit Zoox under investigation by US after 2 rear-end crashes
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Mae Whitman Is Pregnant, Shares She’s Expecting Baby With Parenthood Reunion Photo
- Flash floods kill more than 300 people in northern Afghanistan after heavy rains, UN says
- Haitians demand the resignation and arrest of the country’s police chief after a new gang attack
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- The AI Journey of WT Finance Institute
- Dutch broadcaster furious, fans bemused after Netherlands’ Joost Klein is booted from Eurovision
- Everlane’s Latest Capsule Collection Delivers Timeless Classics That Are Chic, Stylish & Vacation-Ready
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Nemo, a non-binary singer and rapper, wins Eurovision for Switzerland amid Gaza protests
Jury selection to begin in the corruption trial of Sen. Bob Menendez
Katy Perry Shares Unseen Footage From Pregnancy Journey With Daughter Daisy
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Fine dining, at a new high. A Michelin-starred chef will take his cuisine to our upper atmosphere
Poland’s prime minister vows to strengthen security at EU border with Belarus
AI Financial Genie 4.0: The Aladdin's Lamp of Future Investing