Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Wealth Evolution Experts
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:16:49
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (67862)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- As bans spread, fluoride in drinking water divides communities across the US
- Third channel to open at Baltimore port as recovery from bridge collapse continues
- House Republicans postpone sending Mayorkas impeachment articles to Senate
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Aoki Lee Simmons, 21, Vittorio Assaf, 65, and the relationship age gap conversation
- Alex Verdugo off to flying start with NY Yankees, embracing the new Bronx 'dawgs'
- Michigan man convicted in 2018 slaying of hunter at state park
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Tesla to unveil robotaxi self-driving car in August, Elon Musk says
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- 18-year-old in Idaho planned to attack more than 21 churches on behalf of ISIS, feds say
- Love Is Blind's Jess Vestal Shares Date Night Must-Haves—EpiPen Not Included
- Teenager charged as an adult in downtown Indianapolis shooting that injured 7
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- March Madness winners and losers: ACC, UConn, Cinderellas led NCAA Tournament highlights
- Eva Marcille Shares What Led to Her Drastic Weight Loss
- ESPN gave women's tournament big showcase it deserved. And got rewarded with big ratings.
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Key question before US reveals latest consumer prices: Is inflation cooling enough for the Fed?
Who is broadcasting the 2024 Masters? Jim Nantz, Verne Lundquist among Augusta voices
A new version of Scrabble aims to make the word-building game more accessible
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Congress summons Boeing’s CEO to testify on its jetliner safety following new whistleblower charges
Guests at the state dinner for Japan’s prime minister will share the feel of walking over a koi pond
The Jon Snow sequel to ‘Game of Thrones’ isn’t happening, Kit Harington says