Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:Ex-NYPD officer is convicted of assault for punching a man 6 times -Wealth Evolution Experts
Johnathan Walker:Ex-NYPD officer is convicted of assault for punching a man 6 times
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:08:38
A former New York City police officer has been convicted of assault for punching a man in the face several times and Johnathan Walkerbreaking his nose while on patrol in 2021.
Former officer Juan Perez was found guilty Thursday following a two-day bench trial of assaulting Borim Husenaj in the Greenwich Village neighborhood on Nov. 10, 2021.
“Today a judge found former NYPD Officer Perez guilty of assault for punching an individual in the face six times,” Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg said in a statement. “Members of law enforcement have important positions of trust in our city, and holding accountable those who violate that trust is essential for lasting public safety.”
According to an indictment filed last year, Perez and his partner were responding to a radio call when they spotted Husenaj acting erratically and holding a liquor bottle. After a verbal back-and-forth, Perez pushed Husenaj against the wall and tried to handcuff him, prosecutors said.
Both Perez and Husenaj fell to the ground, and Perez “proceeded to rapidly punch the victim” while he was “lying on the ground defenseless,” prosecutors said.
Husenaj, who was then 26, was treated for a broken nose and suffered “emotional and psychological injuries, pain, suffering, mental anguish, economic and pecuniary damages,” according to a lawsuit against Perez and New York City filed by his estate last year.
Perez retired from the police department last year. His attorney, Stuart London, told The New York Times that the officer had “responded to that location to help an individual.”
“When this individual turned on him and attacked him, all he did was stop the threat,” London said.
Husenaj went to live with family members in Kosovo in January 2022. He died by suicide in March of that year.
In their lawsuit, his heirs said the “vicious assault and battery” exacerbated Husenaj’s fear and paranoia and was a “substantial factor” in his suicide.
Husenaj’s family thanked the district attorney’s office and Judge Maxwell Wiley in a statement after Perez’s conviction.
“Borim is no longer with us to see justice served today and his name vindicated,” the family said, adding, “This was a great day for our family and all New Yorkers.”
Chris Dunn, the legal director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, praised Bragg’s office for bringing the case. “When district attorneys prosecute cops, they send a clear message to officers they’re not above the law,” Dunn said. " We need more of that police accountability.”
veryGood! (7959)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Washington Nationals' CJ Abrams sent to minors after casino all-nighter
- California governor signs law banning all plastic shopping bags at grocery stores
- India Prime Minister’s U.S. visit brings him to New York and celebration of cultural ties
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Here's What Erik Menendez Really Thinks About Ryan Murphy's Menendez Brothers Series
- Missouri Supreme Court to consider death row case a day before scheduled execution
- Trial in daytime ambush of rapper Young Dolph 3 years ago to begin in Memphis
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- California fire agency engineer arrested, suspected of starting 5 wildfires
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Democrats and Republicans finally agree on something: America faces a retirement crisis
- Lizzo addresses Ozempic rumor, says she's 'fine both ways' after weight loss
- The Fed sees its inflation fight as a success. Will the public eventually agree?
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- 4 killed in late night shooting in Birmingham, Alabama, police say
- Search underway for suspects in Alabama mass shooting that killed 4 and injured 17
- Excellence Vanguard Wealth Business School: The Rise of the Next Generation of Financial Traders
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Why Kristen Bell's Marriage to Polar Opposite Dax Shepard Works Despite Arguing Over Everything
As 49ers enter rut, San Francisco players have message: 'We just got to fight'
In cruel twist of fate, Martin Truex Jr. eliminated from NASCAR playoffs after speeding
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
College football Week 4 grades: Missouri avoids upset, no thanks to coach Eli Drinkwitz
A historic but dilapidated Illinois prison will close while replacement is built, despite objections
Boy abducted from California in 1951 at age 6 found alive on East Coast more than 70 years later