Current:Home > FinanceGilgo Beach serial killing suspect returning to court after a renewed search of his home -Wealth Evolution Experts
Gilgo Beach serial killing suspect returning to court after a renewed search of his home
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 16:26:00
NEW YORK (AP) — A New York architect charged in the Gilgo Beach killings will return to court this week after investigators searched his suburban home and combed a wooded area elsewhere on Long Island.
Rex Heuermann, who has pleaded not guilty in the deaths of four women whose remains were found along a remote beach highway, will appear Thursday in state court in Riverhead, a spokesperson for the Suffolk County district attorney’s office confirmed. He had previously been scheduled to return to court for a June 18 status hearing.
The new court date comes two weeks after investigators returned to Heuermann’s single-story home in Massapequa Park, where they had recovered a cache of weapons during an initial search following his arrest last summer. A date for Heuermann’s trial has not yet been set.
During the most recent search, which lasted several days, investigators placed paint chips and other materials into evidence bags and removed a large rectangular object covered in a blue cloth.
A spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office would not say whether the upcoming hearing was related to the renewed search effort.
In April, authorities involved in the investigation also spent more than a week searching a wooded area in Manorville, fueling speculation that they were seeking new evidence linked to some of the additional six sets of remains that were discovered along Gilgo Beach more than a decade ago.
Heuermann, 60, was arrested in July in the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello. He was charged in January in the death of Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
His attorney, Michael Brown, has said his client maintains his innocence. He declined to comment on the nature of Thursday’s hearing.
The case had vexed investigators since the remains of eleven people, most of them young women who had been sex workers, were found on a stretch of Gilgo Beach in 2010 and 2011. Authorities have said the investigation into the other victims remains ongoing.
Robert Macedonio, a lawyer for Heuermann’s estranged wife, said the most recent search of the Massapequa Park home was primarily focused on the basement. He said the family was out of state when the search was conducted.
He declined to say what was taken from the home and said the family has not yet received the search warrant affidavit that would spell out their reasons for conducting the search.
During the initial search of the home in July, authorities tore up a wooden deck and used an excavator to dig up the backyard, which they scanned for buried objects using specialized equipment.
The most recent search was far less disruptive, according to Macedonia.
Vess Mitev, a lawyer for Heuermann’s two adult children, said the family was closely monitoring the developments.
“The hearing is yet another mile marker in this macabre saga, where they continue to be unfortunate bystanders,” he said in a text message.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Unregulated oilfield power lines are suspected of sparking Texas wildfires
- Biden’s new Title IX rules are all set to take effect. But not in these states.
- After Gershkovich and Whelan freed, this American teacher remains in Russian custody
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- 'Batman: Caped Crusader' is (finally) the Dark Knight of our dreams: Review
- Jamie Lee Curtis Apologizes for Toilet Paper Promotion Comments After Shading Marvel
- These Designer Michael Kors Handbags Are up 85% off Right Now & All Under $100
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- 2024 Olympics: Snoop Dogg Is Team USA’s Biggest Fan With His Medal-Worthy Commentary
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Who Is Rebeca Andrade? Meet Simone Biles’ Biggest Competition in Gymnastics
- You're likely paying way more for orange juice: Here's why, and what's being done about it
- Former CNN anchor Don Lemon sues Elon Musk over canceled X deal: 'Dragged Don's name'
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Man accused of beheading father in their home is competent to stand trial, judge rules
- 2024 Olympics: Snoop Dogg Is Team USA’s Biggest Fan With His Medal-Worthy Commentary
- Intel to lay off more than 15% of its workforce as it cuts costs to try to turn its business around
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Kendall Jenner and Ex Devin Booker Spotted in Each Other’s Videos From 2024 Olympics Gymnastics Final
Top Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2024 Workwear Deals: Office-Ready Styles from Steve Madden, SPANX & More
‘He had everyone fooled': Former FBI agent sentenced to life for child rape in Alabama
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
2024 Olympics: Snoop Dogg Is Team USA’s Biggest Fan With His Medal-Worthy Commentary
USA women’s 3x3 basketball team loses third straight game in pool play
Biden’s new Title IX rules are all set to take effect. But not in these states.