Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:Judge rescinds permission for Trump to give his own closing argument at his civil fraud trial -Wealth Evolution Experts
EchoSense:Judge rescinds permission for Trump to give his own closing argument at his civil fraud trial
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 18:50:06
NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump won’t make his own closing argument after all in his New York civil business fraud trial after his lawyers objected to the judge’s insistence that the former president stick to “relevant” matters.
Judge Arthur Engoron rescinded permission for the unusual plan on EchoSenseWednesday, a day ahead of closing arguments in the trial. Trump attorney Alina Habba responded: “Is anyone surprised anymore?”
The trial could cost Trump hundreds of millions of dollars in penalties and strip him of his ability to do business in New York. The lawsuit, brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James, claims that Trump’s net worth was inflated by billions of dollars on financial statements that helped him secure business loans and insurance.
The former president and current Republican 2024 front-runner denies any wrongdoing, and he has lambasted the case as a “hoax” and a political attack on him. James and the judge are Democrats.
It’s extremely uncommon for people who have lawyers to give their own closing arguments. But Trump’s lawyers had signaled privately to the judge last week that the ex-president planned to deliver a summation personally, in addition to arguments from his legal team.
In an email exchange that happened over recent days and was filed in court Wednesday, Engoron initially approved the request, saying he was “inclined to let everyone have his or her say.”
But he said Trump would have to limit his remarks to the boundaries that cover attorneys’ closing arguments: “commentary on the relevant, material facts that are in evidence, and application of the relevant law to those facts.”
He would not be allowed to introduce new evidence, “comment on irrelevant matters” or “deliver a campaign speech” — or impugn the judge, his staff, the attorney general, her lawyers or the court system, the judge wrote.
Trump attorney Christopher Kise responded that those limitations were “fraught with ambiguities, creating the substantial likelihood for misinterpretation or an unintended violation.” Engoron said that they were ”reasonable, normal limits” and would allow for comments on the attorney general’s arguments but not personal attacks.
Kise termed the restrictions “very unfair.”
“You are not allowing President Trump, who has been wrongfully demeaned and belittled by an out of control, politically motivated attorney general, to speak about the things that must be spoken about,” the attorney wrote.
“I won’t debate this yet again. Take it or leave it,” the judge shot back, with an all-caps addition: “I will not grant any further extensions.”
After not hearing from Trump’s lawyers by a noon Wednesday deadline, Engoron wrote that he assumed Trump was not agreeing to the ground rules and therefore would not be speaking.
Earlier in the exchange, the judge also denied Kise’s request to postpone closing arguments until Jan. 29 because of the death Tuesday of Trump’s mother-in-law, Amalija Knavs. The judge expressed condolences but said he was sticking to the scheduled date, citing the security and logistics required for Trump’s planned visit to court.
Taking on a role usually performed by an attorney is risky for any defendant. But Trump’s desire to speak in court was potentially even more precarious, as he has already run afoul of the judge over prior comments about the case.
Engoron imposed a limited gag order, barring all participants in the trial from commenting about court staffers, after Trump made a disparaging social media post about the judge’s law clerk on the second day of the trial in October. The post included a false insinuation about the clerk’s personal life.
The judge later fined Trump a total of $15,000, saying he’d repeatedly violated the order. Trump’s defense team is appealing it.
During the recent email exchange about Trump’s potential summation, Engoron warned Trump’s lawyers that if the former president violated the gag order, he’d be removed from the courtroom and fined at least $50,000.
Trump testified in the case in November, sparring verbally with the judge and state lawyers as he defended himself and his real estate empire. He considered a second round of testimony, during the portion of the trial when his own lawyers were calling witnesses. After teasing his return appearance, he changed course and said he had “nothing more to say.”
___
Associated Press writer Michael R. Sisak contributed.
veryGood! (44297)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Double-duty Danny Jansen plays for both teams in one MLB game. Here’s how
- Tennessee Republican leaders threaten to withhold funds as Memphis preps to put guns on the ballot
- Kelly Osbourne says Slipknot's Sid Wilson 'set himself on fire' in IG video from hospital
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- America's newest monuments unveil a different look at the nation's past
- Famed Coney Island Cyclone roller coaster is shut down after mid-ride malfunction
- Kate Middleton Makes Rare Appearance With Royal Family to Attend Church Service
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Apparent cyberattack leaves Seattle airport facing major internet outages
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Zoë Kravitz says Beyoncé was 'so supportive' of that 'Blink Twice' needle drop
- Yes, petroleum jelly is a good moisturizer, but beware before you use it on your face
- Katherine Schwarzenegger Reveals What Daughter Eloise Demands From Chris Pratt
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Mayweather goes the distance against Gotti III in Mexico City
- Search continues for woman missing after Colorado River flash flood at Grand Canyon National Park
- Utah judge to decide if author of children’s book on grief will face trial in her husband’s death
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Sister Wives: Robyn Brown Says Kody Is “Sabotaging” Their Marriage After Splits
Layne Riggs injures himself celebrating his first NASCAR Truck Series win
Below Deck Mediterranean's Chef Serves Potentially Deadly Meal to Allergic Guest—and Sandy Is Pissed
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Video shows California principal's suggestive pep rally dancing. Now he's on leave.
Harris and Trump are having a new squabble over their upcoming debate, this time about muted mics
Joey Lawrence's Wife Samantha Cope Breaks Silence Amid Divorce