Current:Home > My2 arrested in 'random murder spree' in southeast LA that killed 4, including juvenile -Wealth Evolution Experts
2 arrested in 'random murder spree' in southeast LA that killed 4, including juvenile
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 15:37:24
Los Angeles authorities said they have arrested two alleged gang members in connection with a "random murder spree" within a 5-mile radius of southeast Los Angeles County that occurred over the weekend.
Gary Jonathan Garcia Jr., 42, and Timberland Wayne McKneely, 20, were arrested in connection with a string of four shootings, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department announced on Tuesday.
"The last 48 hours have been difficult and terrifying for our southeast LA community," said Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn at a press briefing on Tuesday.
Authorities located the first victim after receiving a call of shots fired at around 10:30 p.m. on Sunday in the city of Bell, around 10 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles, LASD Homicide Division Capt. Andrew Meyer said. The adult male victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
Just after midnight on Monday, deputies responded to a second call in a shopping center parking lot more than 3 miles away in unincorporated Los Angeles and found another adult male shooting victim who was also pronounced dead.
The next call came in just 12 minutes later in the city of Cudahy, leading authorities to find two boys who had been "near a K through 8 school," according to LASD East Station Capt. Brandon Dean. One boy died at the scene and the other was taken to a hospital for treatment, where he is in stable condition.
Also in the early hours of Monday, a Huntington Park police officer stopped to check on a man lying in the street, Meyer said. The man had been struck with multiple bullets, and was later pronounced dead by the fire department.
Huntington Park Police Chief Cosme Lozano said the victim, who was known to be experiencing homelessness, was "randomly targeted."
More:Gallery: Los Angeles Battered by Pineapple Express storm
Authorities link 4 incidents to same vehicle
Officials linked the four incidents to a red Honda Pilot captured in surveillance camera footage taken at each of the crime scenes. On Monday afternoon, the car was identified as an "armed and dangerous wanted felony vehicle," according to Meyer.
Garcia was arrested when San Bernardino authorities spotted the car by its license plate and pulled it over in a traffic stop. The second suspect was arrested later while authorities carried out a search warrant of a home in Compton, Meyer said.
Garcia's criminal history is "extensive," while McKneely has no criminal history, according to Meyer. Both are believed to be gang members, Meyer said.
Although the killings appeared "random," Meyer said, "homicide investigators have not ruled out that there may be other incidents linked to the same suspects." Meyer said investigators are searching for a third suspect believed to be involved in the killings.
Garcia and McKneely face charges of murder, attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder. They are both being held on $2 million bail and will be arraigned in court later this week, according to the LASD. It's unclear if Garcia or McKneely have attorneys who can comment on their behalf.
Bell Police Chief Carlos Islas asked the district attorney's office to "do the right thing and do their job to prosecute them to the full extent of the law." Any enhancements to the existing charges, Islas said, would "remain to be seen" as the investigation continues.
Cybele Mayes-Osterman is a breaking news reporter for USA Today. Reach her on email at [email protected]. Follow her on X @CybeleMO.
veryGood! (8314)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Claps Back at Fans for Visiting Home Where Her Mom Was Murdered
- Everything Marvel has in the works, from 'Agatha All Along' to 'Deadpool & Wolverine'
- Arch Manning announces he will be in EA Sports College Football 25
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Landslide at unauthorized Indonesia goldmine kills at least 23 people, leaves dozens missing
- Stock market today: Japan’s Nikkei 225 index logs record close, as markets track rally on Wall St
- Doug Sheehan, 'Clueless' actor and soap opera star, dies at 75
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- 2024 French election results no big win for far-right, but next steps unclear. Here's what could happen.
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Alabama coach Kalen DeBoer embraces 'privilege' of following Nick Saban. Don't expect him to wilt
- Dan Hurley contract details as UConn coach signs new six-year, $50 million contract
- Mississippi inmate gets 30 year-year sentence for sexual assault of prison employee
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Shrek 5's All-Star Cast and Release Date Revealed
- Ukraine says at least 31 people killed, children's hospital hit in major Russian missile attack
- Copa America 2024: Will Messi play in Argentina's semifinal vs. Canada? Here's the latest
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Horoscopes Today, July 8, 2024
Why 'Bachelorette' Jenn Tran kissed only one man during premiere: 'It's OK to just say no'
The 'Bachelorette's Trista and Ryan are still together. Fans need it to stay that way
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Record 3 million passengers passed through TSA checkpoints Sunday after July 4th
Melissa Etheridge connects with incarcerated women in new docuseries ‘I’m Not Broken’
Mississippi inmate gets 30 year-year sentence for sexual assault of prison employee