Current:Home > StocksSignalHub-Maui County sues Hawaiian Electric Co. for damages from disastrous fires -Wealth Evolution Experts
SignalHub-Maui County sues Hawaiian Electric Co. for damages from disastrous fires
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 17:11:09
MAUI,SignalHub Hawaii -- Maui County is suing the Hawaiian Electric Co., alleging that its negligence led to the deadliest U.S. wildfire in the past 100 years. The county suffered an estimated $5.5 billion in damages from fires in Lahaina and Kula — and it says the deadly disaster was preventable.
The civil suit filed Thursday seeks a jury trial. It targets Hawaiian Electric, or HECO, and several related companies, seeking "punitive and exemplary damages" and to recoup costs and loss of revenue from the fires.
HECO is a publicly traded company that accounts for 95% of Hawaii's electricity customers. The utility tells NPR that it is "very disappointed" that the county filed suit.
The exact cause of the fires in Maui is being investigated by federal officials. But dozens of Hawaiian Electric's poles and energized lines were felled by high winds that propelled the fire. Videos posted on social media appeared to show power lines starting fires, and experts have indicated they think the power lines were likely a major factor.
The utility didn't have a plan to cut power, county says
Maui County accuses HECO and its subsidiaries of two major failures: not properly maintaining the electrical system and power grid; and "failing to power down their electrical equipment despite a National Weather Service Red Flag Warning on August 7th."
The county says the utility should have had a plan to cut off electrical power when conditions get dangerous.
"The practice of deenergizing power lines during fire weather conditions is common in the Western United States," the lawsuit states. It notes that large utilities in wildfire-prone California have implemented "Public Safety Power Shutoff" plans to prevent fires during high-risk conditions.
"Defendants never created a PSPS plan," the suit states.
Survivors of the fire in Lahaina have also said downed poles and wires slowed them down as they tried to flee what became a deadly calamity, saying their path to safety was obstructed by utility trucks in the roads.
HECO has said it's controversial to cut off power
In an emailed statement to NPR about the county's lawsuit, Hawaiian Electric emphasized that its focus has been on supporting "not just the people of Maui, but also Maui County."
"We are very disappointed that Maui County chose this litigious path while the investigation is still unfolding," the company added.
When Hawaiian Electric's President and CEO Shelee Kimura was asked last week why the company didn't shut off power when winds picked up, she said PSPS plans are controversial.
Kimura said the programs require coordination with first responders, and that they could also pose a risk to vulnerable people with specialized medical equipment.
The utility will conduct its own investigation of the fires, she said.
Maui County's lawsuit was filed in the Second Circuit Court in Wailuku.
veryGood! (13)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- The Latest: The real test for Harris’ campaign begins in the presidential race against Trump
- She took a ‘ballot selfie.’ Now she’s suing North Carolina elections board for laws that ban it
- Judges dismiss suit alleging Tennessee’s political maps discriminate against communities of color
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Miami (Ohio) coach Chuck Martin says Alabama ‘stole’ kicker Graham Nicholson
- Is Joey Votto a Hall of Famer? The case for, and against, retiring Reds star
- An Iceland volcano erupts again but spares the nearby town of Grindavik for now
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Nonsense Outro
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- How Nevada colleges and universities are encouraging students to vote
- Too early or not soon enough? Internet reacts to Starbucks dropping Pumpkin Spice Lattes Aug. 22
- Survivor Host Jeff Probst Shares the Strange Way Show Is Casting Season 50
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- YouTuber Aspyn Ovard Breaks Silence on Divorce From Parker Ferris
- Beyoncé's Cécred hair care line taps 'Love Island' star Serena Page for new video: Watch
- Last Chance to Save Up to 90% Off at Nordstrom Rack's Back-to-School Sale: $16 Jackets, $20 Shoes & More
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Agreement to cancel medical debt for 193,000 needy patients in Southern states
College students are going viral on TikTok for luxury dorm room makeovers. You won't believe it.
USDA efforts to solve the bird flu outbreak in cows are taking center stage in central Iowa
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Chris Olsen, nude photos and when gay men tear each other down
How Nevada colleges and universities are encouraging students to vote
4 bodies found inside the Bayesian, Mike Lynch family yacht, amid search