Current:Home > MyUK watchdog addressing data breach at hospital where Princess Kate had abdominal surgery -Wealth Evolution Experts
UK watchdog addressing data breach at hospital where Princess Kate had abdominal surgery
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 00:33:37
The "royal scandal" continues, as a U.K. watchdog group is addressing a data breach at a London hospital where Princess Kate was treated for her abdominal surgery earlier this year.
Britain's data protection watchdog, the Information Commissioner's Office, shared a statement with USA TODAY on Wednesday confirming it "received a breach report and (is) assessing the information provided."
The data privacy group is investigating a potential breach of Kate's private medical records at the London Clinic where she was treated following her abdominal surgery in January, according to The Mirror and the Washington Post.
In a statement provided to USA TODAY Wednesday, the London Clinic said: "There is no place at our hospital for those who intentionally breach the trust of any of our patients or colleagues."
On Wednesday, a Kensington Palace spokesperson told USA TODAY: "This is a matter for The London Clinic."
The private hospital also treated King Charles II following his prostate surgery and cancer diagnosis.
Conspiracy theories and internet speculation have complicated Princess Kate's pause from public life as the media and royal onlookers fuel more conversations about one of the family's most popular members.
Earlier this month, in honor of Britain's Mother's Day, the family thanked their supporters on their Prince and Princess of Wales Instagram account.
"Thank you for your kind wishes and continued support over the last two months. Wishing everyone a Happy Mother's Day," the caption read, in celebration of the U.K. holiday. In the photo snapped by Prince William, 41, Kate was seated in a chair as the three couple's children were embraced by their mother.
Princess Katetabloid photo, video fuel speculation: Why the gossip is harmful
One day after posting the Mother's Day portrait, however, Princess Kate apologized after several major photo agencies removed it from use due to "manipulation."
In a March 11 post from the Prince and Princess of Wales account X, formerly Twitter, the princess apologized and said the confusion over the photo was due to her editing.
Where is Princess Kate?Timeline of what to know about the royal amid surgery, photo drama
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," the post reads. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother’s Day. C."
Another photo taken by the princess, featuring the late Queen Elizabeth II with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren posted on the Prince and Princess of Wales' official Instagram account last April, was "digitally enhanced," a Getty spokesperson confirmed to USA TODAY Tuesday.
Princess Kate'sphotograph of Queen Elizabeth flagged as 'digitally enhanced' by Getty
A day after U.K. tabloid The Sun reported that the Prince and Princess of Wales were spotted out shopping in Windsor, U.S. tabloid TMZ obtained video purportedly showing the excursion.
In a video taken through an onlooker's car windows, the two were seen exiting a store, reportedly the Windsor Farm Shop, with grocery bags. William and Kate appeared dressed-down in casual clothing, with the future king donning a ball cap.
Contributing: Jay Stahl, Naledi Ushe, KiMi Robinson and Emily DeLetter
veryGood! (3697)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Former NBA All-Star DeMarcus 'Boogie' Cousins spotted making bubble tea for fans in Taiwan
- Record number of Americans are homeless amid nationwide surge in rent, report finds
- Trump's lawyer questioned one of E. Jean Carroll's books during his trial. Copies are now selling for thousands.
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- A trial in Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay’s 2002 killing is starting, and testing his anti-drug image
- J.Crew’s Epic Weekend Sale Can’t Be Missed – up to 60% off Select Styles, Starting at $8
- Bangladesh appeals court grants bail to Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus in labor case
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Mexico confirms some Mayan ruin sites are unreachable because of gang violence and land conflicts
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Pakistani police use tear gas to disperse pre-election rally by supporters of former leader Khan
- Iowa vs. Nebraska highlights: Caitlin Clark drops 38 in Hawkeyes women's basketball win
- NFL hires 4 coaches of color in one cycle for first time ever. And 'it's a big deal'
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso withdraw from West Africa’s regional bloc as tensions deepen
- Taylor Swift deepfakes spread online, sparking outrage
- Donald Trump is on the hook for $88.3 million in defamation damages. What happens next?
Recommendation
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Nearly 25,000 tech workers were laid off in the first weeks of 2024. Why is that?
Jillian Michaels Wants You to Throw Out Every F--king Fad Diet and Follow This Straightforward Advice
A prison art show at Lincoln's Cottage critiques presidents' penal law past
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
French farmers vow to continue protesting despite the government’s offer of concessions
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin expected to return to Pentagon Monday for first time since hospitalization
French farmers vow to continue protesting despite the government’s offer of concessions