Current:Home > MarketsFamily sues Atlanta cop, chief and city after officer used Taser on deacon who later died -Wealth Evolution Experts
Family sues Atlanta cop, chief and city after officer used Taser on deacon who later died
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:23:25
The family of a 62-year-old church deacon who died after an Atlanta police officer used a stun gun on him filed a federal civil rights lawsuit Thursday.
Johnny Hollman encountered former officer Kiran Kimbrough on Aug. 10 after he was involved in a minor traffic accident and called the police, according to the lawsuit against the officer, the police chief and the city. Body camera footage of the incident released in November showed Kimbrough repeatedly demanded Hollman sign a ticket and then shocked him with a stun gun after the dispute escalated into a physical struggle.
A tow truck driver arrived during the confrontation and assisted Kimbrough, the Associated Press reported citing a lawsuit the family filed against the driver last month.
Hollman, who repeatedly said "I can't breathe" during the confrontation, was pronounced dead at the hospital early the next morning, according to the lawsuit. An autopsy report released by the Fulton County medical examiner determined Hollman's death was a homicide caused by abnormal heart rhythms due to the use of a "conducted energy device" associated with a pre-existing cardiovascular condition.
Harold Spence, an attorney representing Hollman's family, told USA TODAY Kimbrough unnecessarily used excessive force during the incident, retaliated against Hollman for exercising his First Amendment rights and failed to render medical aid when it was clear Hollman was injured. Spence said the suit also claims the city of Atlanta has a widespread practice of excusing the use of excessive force by failing to thoroughly investigate credible complaints.
Spokespeople for Mayor Andre Dickens and the Atlanta Police Department declined to comment, citing pending litigation.
Spence called the incident "a truly needless death."
"We think that under the facts and circumstances of this case, there was no reason for any degree of force to be employed against Deacon Holloman," Spence said.
Spence also said Hollman's daughter, Arnitra Hollman, was on the phone with him during the encounter for 17 minutes and 46 seconds, and in previous court documents the attorneys have asked for $17.46 million in compensation to reflect that. But the suit filed Thursday does not seek a specific amount.
"We're prepared for a jury to determine what is justice in something as horrific as this," said Mawuli Davis, another attorney representing Hollman's family.
Hollman's death sparks changes
Dickens previously said in a statement after the body-worn camera footage was released that he directed the police department to "conduct a top-to-bottom review and evaluation" of the incident, the department's standard operating procedures and its training curriculum. The investigation resulted in changes to the department's policies regarding traffic citations and the release of video showing use-of-force incidents, according to the statement.
Davis said the family has experienced an "emotional rollercoaster" and is grateful for the community support that led to some of these changes. But, he said more work need to be done to address racial disparities in policing in Atlanta.
The investigation also led to Kimbrough's termination for failing to have a supervisor at the scene before making the arrest, according to the mayor's statement.
An attorney for Kimbrough, Lance LoRusso, did not immediately respond to a request for comment from USA TODAY. LoRusso previously said in a statement Kimbrough denies any wrongdoing and plans to appeal his termination. Though the lawsuit claims Hollman never explicitly refused to sign the citation, LoRusso also previously said the deacon was legally obligated to sign the citation and refused to do so.
The Fulton County District Attorney’s Office is reviewing the case to determine whether criminal charges are appropriate and “will make a decision based on the evidence,” spokesperson Jeff DiSantis told the Associated Press. DiSantis did not immediately respond to a request for comment from USA TODAY.
Contributing: The Associated Press
veryGood! (143)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Bears trade Justin Fields to Steelers, clear way to take a QB such as Caleb Williams with No. 1 pick
- Law enforcement should have seized man’s guns weeks before he killed 18 in Maine, report finds
- Alec Baldwin seeks dismissal of grand jury indictment in fatal shooting of cinematographer
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- US to investigate Texas fatal crash that may have involved Ford partially automated driving system
- Identity of massive $1.765 billion Powerball jackpot winners revealed in California
- Arizona authorities say a road rage incident led to a motorist’s death. The other man was arrested.
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- These Chic Michael Kors Handbags Are All Under $100 – Add Them to Your Cart Before They Sell Out
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Steelers trade QB Kenny Pickett to Eagles, clearing way for Russell Wilson to start, per reports
- Trump campaigns for GOP Senate candidate Bernie Moreno in Ohio
- I think James Crumbley will walk free in manslaughter trial – because society blames mothers
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Report: Law enforcement should have taken man into custody before he killed 18 in Maine
- Law enforcement should have seized man’s guns weeks before he killed 18 in Maine, report finds
- Rita Moreno Credits This Ageless Approach to Life for Her Longevity
Recommendation
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Cara Delevingne Left Heartbroken After Her House Burns Down
Kristen Doute Reveals Her Honest Opinion on Jax Taylor and Brittany Cartwright's Breakup
In a first, Vice President Harris visits Minnesota abortion clinic to blast ‘immoral’ restrictions
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
A Gas Tanker Crashed in Birmingham and Spilled 2,100 Gallons Into Nearby Village Creek. Who Is Responsible?
Identity of massive $1.765 billion Powerball jackpot winners revealed in California
Judge appoints special master to oversee California federal women’s prison after rampant abuse